It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2011, 11:15 AM   #1
(female)

sanandreas HB Usersanandreas HB User
Question Long time atenolol user - suddenly experiencing slow heart rate

Hello - hoping someone can help me with this.

Can you develop a side effect from atenolol after using it for a long time. Specifically, can it suddenly start slowing my heart rate even though it has never done so in the past.

A little background will be useful. I have been on atenolol for almost 30 years. At 1st it was prescribed due to help with palpatations and racing heartbeat due to my mitral valve prolapse. As I have gotten older it is now also being used to control my borderline high BP

I take 2 25 mg tablets twice daily.

During the last several weeks, I have noticed my heart rate is going down into the low 60s (actually at 60 this morning) I know that sounds healthy, but I have always had a fast heart rate (generally in the low 80s resting) and being overweight, smoking and pretty much a couch potato I don't see where a healthy heartbeat would suddenly appear out of thin air.

Note that along with the slow heart rate, I also feel slightly light headed and fatigued.

Any help on this is very much appreciated as I have health anxiety and am scaring myself with this. Yes, I do have a doctor apt at the end of next month, but am hoping some additional info before then will help alieviate my worry until that happens.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-31-2011, 07:57 PM   #2
(female)

sanandreas HB Usersanandreas HB User
Re: Long time atenolol user - suddenly experiencing slow heart rate

Anyone? Really wondering about this

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-31-2011, 08:35 PM   #3
(male)

drifter54usa HB User
Re: Long time atenolol user - suddenly experiencing slow heart rate

sounds to me like your Dr. ought to adjust your dose down some. I take atenolol and was also taking digoxin. My normal restin heart rate is 115-120. all of a sudden i was having heart rate as low as 48 and stayed in the 50s for some time . My Dr took me off the dig and lessened my atenolol. My heart rate is back up now but still quite high. I have a new Dr. and he is adjusting all my meds to get the right combination.

Closed Thread