It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2011, 11:13 AM   #1
(female)

Ashley990 HB User
Unhappy 21 year old with a heart problem? Please help, please!

Hello, and let me start by saying thank you for reading, and/or giving advice. I'm in a real slump here, let me give some background.

I'm a 21 year old female.
I smoke around a pack a day, I know I should quit. I'm going to be working on it here soon.
I drink socially. Maybe once a month.
The only people in my family history that have had heart problems are ;
My grandfather, they had found a blockage, but he's in 100% recovery.
My great grandfather, who had to have bypass surgery. He recovered, and passed away years later of alzhiemers.
My uncle, who at a young age, had a fever that attacked his heart, he was on the heart transplant list, they called him with a heart, he declined. He passed away, from his heart condition.
All of these family members are on my mothers side, no heart related problems from my fathers side, only my father, who had a heart murmer as a child, but has no problems now.
I'm 5'4 and weigh about 142 pounds.
I have good blood pressure, and good chelstrol.
No diabetes, or any other health problems.
I'm pretty active, exercise 3 times weekly.

So here's my problem, I'm getting palpitations. I've had these since I was very young, around 8 I'd say. But they are really starting to bother me and scare me. They often feel like a strong beat in my chest, after a short pause. But on occasion I had on going ones, where my heart will beat crazy flip flops for a good 5 seconds. They scare ne the most, but I rarely ever have those. I also have tightness in my chest, where my heart feels like a bow is around it, it's hard to explain. Sometimes I feel like I can't catch a good breath, and I also get dizzy alot. Now, I've had multiple tests and have seen a good number of doctors, these tests include,

EKG, about 2 years ago. Which was normal.
A lung X-ray, about a year and a half ago, which was fine.
Tons of blood work, all normal.
I've been to the ER a good 5 times in the passed year and a half, they would hook me up to a regular heart and blood pressure machine, I noticed my heart rate was normal but it seemed my blood pressure would change everytime, which was scary, I also thought I felt a palpitation while on the heart monitor, the ER doctor said he didn't see anything.
I also had a 48 hour heart monitor which showed I had 9 PVCs and some PACs and that at times my heart rate would go to 160 bpm, but my doctor said there was nothing behind them so not to worry. But that monitor was on about a year and a half ago.
I've seen atleast 4 different doctors, hospital doctors and primary care doctors who have said I'm okay.

So my question is, what could this be? I have been diagnosed with a general anxiety disorder and a panic disorder, but I feel this way all the time, 24/7. I was also checked into the hospital, where they checked my vitals every morning. Why is this happening? Should I worry about cardiac arrest? Thank you all, sorry for the length.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-31-2011, 12:26 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

SOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB User
Re: 21 year old with a heart problem? Please help, please!

Have you seen a cardiologist?

Nicotine is a stimulant, which could even cause what you are experiencing. Don't work on stopping, just stop. If you keep on postponing it, you will never stop, my sister has been saying the same thing for years. I quit almost 7 years ago, and wish I had done so sooner.

Lecture over . Do you drink caffeine at all? That can aggravate or cause palpitations as well. I would get checked out by a cardiologist if you haven't yet. But it is most likely something in your lifestyle causing it- smoking, caffeine, stress, etc- since you are young.

When I was 23ish, I had my first bout of atrial fibrillation from excessive drinkig . Ive had it many times since, and i have been told that when i do get it, it is completely not life threatening.

Last edited by SOTM; 10-31-2011 at 12:29 PM.

Old 11-01-2011, 08:46 AM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

Hi well of course smoking does not help the heart or any other part of the body nor does drink or any other non food non water substance. Smoking constricts the blood vessels and makes it harder for the body to be nourished well, for the lungs to exchange oxygen in blood and brain. So in my teensy opinion it may save a life to quit taking in bad substances. :smile:

Old 11-01-2011, 07:18 PM   #4
(female)

Ashley990 HB User

Hello, thank you both for your advice. I had actually quit smoking when I was first diagnosed with GAD (general anxiety disorder) because I was convinced I had throat cancer -_- I'm a bit of a hypochondriac, and I didn't feel any better. Then a year and a half later, I was having huge stressful issues and I couldn't fight the urge. Could the smoking be the cause of everything I'm feeling? I feel that is very unlikely, saying when I quit I felt the same way, I could just cope with the problems better. Thank you again!

Old 11-04-2011, 06:52 PM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

Hi you are welcome! Is the throat sore, red or swollen? Smoking can of course irritate the throat from the constant heating and smoke particulates. Later malignancies can happen there. To help with the worry the smoking can be stopped. I would quit while there is still time. That is all the less the body must fight to stay healthy and alive. Of course the doctors might help to decide the answer to what it is a person is feeling but substances that don't belong in the body don't usually help it.

Last edited by sjb; 11-04-2011 at 06:55 PM.

Closed Thread