It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2011, 07:36 PM   #1
(female)

alina30 HB Useralina30 HB User
Just started propranolol, side effects?

My doctor just started me on propranolol. It is a small dose, for tachycardia/anxiety, 20mg twice daily since I already have good if not low bp and she doesn't want to lower it any more. I have been taking them for 5 days now about 12 hours apart. I did some looking into any side effects and I have read that it can cause weight gain in some people. Is that possible on a low dose as well? Should I be worried about it lowering my blood pressure which is already low? I trust my doctor but she is new to me and did not do much more than listen to my heart and take my readings. I haven't noticed too much in the way of insomnia, and remember reading that beta blockers can interfere with your melatonin level. I have been taking melatonin and belived that it is helping to even it out and take away that side effect! One great thing I have noticed is that it seems to be helping with my migraines which I get every month with my cycle. Any feedback from others is very appreciated.

Report Bad Post

Last edited by alina30; 11-06-2011 at 07:35 PM. Reason: propranolol migraine weight gain anxiety tachycardia

Old 11-08-2011, 12:37 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User
Re: Just started propranolol, side effects?

Hi here are the listed side effects of the drug:

Propranolol may cause side effects. Tell your doctor if any of these symptoms are severe or do not go away:
dizziness or lightheadedness

difficulty sleeping

excessive tiredness

upset stomach

vomiting

rash

diarrhea

constipation

If you experience any of the following symptoms, call your doctor immediately:
difficulty breathing

sore throat

unusual bleeding

swelling of the feet or hands

unusual weight gain

chest pain

slow, irregular heartbeat
I believe that it is possible even small doses can cause weight gain yes. This can be checked on with the doctor. There are doctor ratings on the net to see how well the other patients like the chosen doctor. I would tell the doctor about the melatonin since some drugs interfere with even "natural" supplements and I found out that even some of the so called natural ones have other not so natural things put in them. Natural amounts of sunlight and proper bedtimes and meal times are said to help with the natural melatonin levels. :smile:

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread