It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2011, 08:17 AM   #1
(female)

cherlyq63 HB User
Smile echo results

Hi my doctor called with my echo results (is sending paper copy too) and it said I have minor regurgitation of the mitral valve along with thickening of the mitral valve leaflets without stenosis. I also have minor tricuspid valve leakage too, and she said that the test just gives us a good starting point to watch, no surgery was necessary. I have SOB pretty much all the time, but also have asthma and am Hypothyroid, so no way to tell what is causing what. I had an atrial septal defect with blood circulating in the opposite way so all my blood was oxygenated when I was 20 at that time my heart was enlarged so the left side had overgrown the right side and was in an weird position which they corrected at that time, was told back then that I had two weak heart valves. I am wondering if my original hole in heart could be what caused the valve issues? It has been 28 years since I had the asd surgery and if it did I am glad that the issues are not worse.

Old 11-11-2011, 02:47 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User
Re: echo results

Hi are any weights lifted? :smile:

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-13-2011, 05:19 PM   #3
(male)

MrScott66 HB User
Re: echo results

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherlyq63 View Post
Hi my doctor called with my echo results (is sending paper copy too) and it said I have minor regurgitation of the mitral valve along with thickening of the mitral valve leaflets without stenosis. I also have minor tricuspid valve leakage too, and she said that the test just gives us a good starting point to watch, no surgery was necessary. I have SOB pretty much all the time, but also have asthma and am Hypothyroid, so no way to tell what is causing what. I had an atrial septal defect with blood circulating in the opposite way so all my blood was oxygenated when I was 20 at that time my heart was enlarged so the left side had overgrown the right side and was in an weird position which they corrected at that time, was told back then that I had two weak heart valves. I am wondering if my original hole in heart could be what caused the valve issues? It has been 28 years since I had the asd surgery and if it did I am glad that the issues are not worse.
Here's a tip from someone who has made himself sick trying to understand echo reports. I get one every year because of my Mitral Valve Prolapse, and every year, I go into a panic from all the strange and scary words. My tip is this... If your doctor doesn't bring it to your attention, then it's not worth worrying about.

My cardiologist told me that echo reports should be required to point out things that are "normal" for the person's age. Valves thicken and leak as you get older. He said that almost everyone my age (45) or older has tricuspid leakage and valve thickening. He also said stiffening of the aortic root is fairly common.

Closed Thread