It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2011, 06:50 PM   #1
(male)

cvcman HB Usercvcman HB Usercvcman HB User
Taking Plavix should not drink green tea or use saw palmetto

Ok im on plavix and aspirin for my stent... I also take saw palmetto for BHP and have been drinking green tea..Now they say do NOT drink green tea while on plavix or take saw palmetto.......is there ANY reilable info to support this

Old 11-24-2011, 05:07 PM   #2
(male)

dsp2 HB User
Re: Taking Plavix should not drink green tea or use saw palmetto

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvcman View Post
Ok im on plavix and aspirin for my stent... I also take saw palmetto for BHP and have been drinking green tea..Now they say do NOT drink green tea while on plavix or take saw palmetto.......is there ANY reilable info to support this
I've drank a ton of green tea while on Plavix. Have also enjoyed alcohol in moderation.

I am no doctor, but I've done this for 2 years so far without issues (knock on wood!).

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-25-2011, 02:37 PM   #3
(female)

CindyB67 HB User

Quote:
This is my second time with new stent and that is the first time I have EVER heard that...seriously would be wondering about the source as green tea is suppose to be healthy for you in general. I drink regular tea and I have always been told how I should try it as it is healthier, but I am a tea snob

If regular tea is ok for me, I am sure green tea would be also. Not sure about saw palmetto or even what it is...but if they are wrong about the green tea I would seriously consider the source once again and wonder if it was reliable information. Taking Plavix makes you at risk for more bleeding or bleeding complications and unless the item thins the blood more than it really shouldn't matter. I have honestly never been given any restrictions because of Plavix or Effient been on both, except when it comes to having surgery and then they stop for about a week before the surgery and get you back on them immediately after...So not sure why you are hearing this stuff. Hope I can ease your mind some BTW I am a frequent patient for my pcp and my cardio so I am positive if there were restrictions I would have heard about them either from one of them or at the hospital on one of my frequent visits also

Old 11-27-2011, 08:28 AM   #4
(male)

Cindy,
Well...I guess you could first do a Google search on it and read the hundreds of posts from medical web sites or read the interaction list for Plaxix.
Then contact your pharmacist, then your Dr. I did ALL of the above and was told " do NOT drink green tea while taking Plaxix,it increases your risk of bleeding"
There is something different in green tea than regular tea or else why would green tea be better for you than regular tea ?? Right ??
It has to do with its blood thinning effect...
Thanks

Old 11-29-2011, 12:56 PM   #5
(female)

CindyB67 HB User

Quote:
Cindy,
Well...I guess you could first do a Google search on it and read the hundreds of posts from medical web sites or read the interaction list for Plaxix.
Then contact your pharmacist, then your Dr. I did ALL of the above and was told " do NOT drink green tea while taking Plaxix,it increases your risk of bleeding"
There is something different in green tea than regular tea or else why would green tea be better for you than regular tea ?? Right ??
It has to do with its blood thinning effect...
Thanks
I guess the point I am taking is the fact you have to go Google it and go searching and asking about it makes me believe the risk is only slight or even minute. Many things can thin your blood but, not enough to make them taboo to take with a prescribed blood thinner is the point I am trying to emphasize. I am sure you have heard the phrase don't go searching the web for this or it will scare you to death??? Believe it or not but, stress and worry are more likely to cause you issues with your heart than a hidden/secret/silent blood thinner will affect your Plavix

Old 11-29-2011, 01:13 PM   #6
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyB67 View Post
I guess the point I am taking is the fact you have to go Google it and go searching and asking about it makes me believe the risk is only slight or even minute. Many things can thin your blood but, not enough to make them taboo to take with a prescribed blood thinner is the point I am trying to emphasize. I am sure you have heard the phrase don't go searching the web for this or it will scare you to death??? Believe it or not but, stress and worry are more likely to cause you issues with your heart than a hidden/secret/silent blood thinner will affect your Plavix
I only searched it AFTER my local pharm,told me

Old 11-29-2011, 08:15 PM   #7
(female)

CindyB67 HB User

Quote:
I only searched it AFTER my local pharm,told me
Since my pharmacist never asks me if I drink green or black tea and uhmm the fact that saw palmetto is more a health food supplement...not something the local pharmacist would actually be asking unless you are really talking about the local health food store owner??? And yes you do have to be very careful with your health food supplements which is hugely scrawled all across your hospital dismissal papers after Cardiac Care and in very bold lettering All you had to say was it was health food supplements and our discussion would have been short and sweet

Old 11-30-2011, 12:15 PM   #8
(male)

May be a good time for you to change pharmacists .....Also IF you REREAD my first post maybe you will understand my question better

Old 12-05-2011, 07:46 PM   #9
(female)

CindyB67 HB User

Yeah I doubt that about needing to change pharmacists. We are actually on really good terms thank you very much When you have heart issues like I do, you wouldn't be saying that as you learn very quickly to stick with those who know you and know about you

Old 12-05-2011, 07:50 PM   #10
(male)

Well...all I can say is MY pharmacists alerted me to NOT mix green tea and Plavix so...it would seem he is well educated and advises his customers well as I asked my cardio and he agreed, so again may be time to find a new one IF he didnt know you shouldnt mix the two

Old 12-05-2011, 08:08 PM   #11
(female)

CindyB67 HB User

My pharmacists knows I don't supplement my medications with over the counter items. If they were concerned it would have been addressed 1000 times over.

In my part of the world or country depending where you are, the items you are mentioning would be found at health food stores except for maybe the green tea...but since I have never jumped at the newest health craze or fad. Green tea has never been a temptation...gee maybe that is why my pharmacist hasn't mentioned it to me, because my Cardio, PCP, and Pharmacist have a pretty good idea about what I take or don't take. I mean when we are going on such a long term relationship, you can't help getting to know someone.

BTW pharmacists as well as doctors keep track of people who either accept thier medical advice or if they go against medical advice. I have to wonder if you are not on your pharmacist radar if it had to be mentioned to you. Means he/she knows you are supplementing your prescription drugs. When hospital discharge papers from the cardiac floor boldly point out supplementing other meds with your heart medications can be harmful.

Lets just agree that we both know what we are talking about for us and accept that the other might have differing opinions on certain things. Like I said earlier the health food supplements said it all to me and explained it all...but apparently you still haven't figured it out yet. The reason the pharmacist told you was because they were concerned with your health food supplements reacting with your heart medications Again that is common knowledge in the heart world.

Old 12-05-2011, 08:14 PM   #12
(male)

Humm green tea a health food sup ?? Dont think so...And saw palmetto is for sale in any pharmacy in the state... and this isnt my "opinion" its the cardio Drs and phramists "opinion" based on I would think some FACT...Oh well im done with this post....

Closed Thread