It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2011, 08:16 PM   #1
(female)

rhodes9 HB User
My Mom has a lot going on and i need help

Hi everyone so here is my story...my mom came down with what we thought was a bad virus...she has been a diabetic since birth type 1 so its never just a virus i took her to the er bc her body aches were so painful and breathing was bad. They told her she has a virus and to take tylenol and sweat it out (white blood cells a little high)she then went to her dr.(the next day) who said it was bronchitis but to get back to the er bc of the shape she was in. The er released her with a Zpak and inhaler, told her she had fluid in the lungs but still calling it bronchitis A week later she was delirious, confused didn't know what day it was still running 102 fevers at 52yrs old for 2 weeks. She is now in icu and has been diagnosed with a bacteria vegetation that is growing in her heart and is attacking her mitral valve. She also has blockage and is going to need a valve replacement and a quad bypass. They found a blood infection that they do not know where it is coming from and antibiotics aren't clearing it up, its actually causing spots on her lungs and a blood clot. We are waiting to see if surgery will be tomorrow night or wed am...im nervous because of the diabetes....anyone know anything about bacteria vegetation on the heart?? or if its possible they dropped the ball in the er the first time because they said these enzymes have been in her blood for a while along with the bacteria...shouldnt that have been picked up the first trip to the er? Its 2 weeks later and we are in open heart surgery mode. Im frustrated, scared and well its my mom what is the success rate and recovery process for a diabetic that is having a quad bypass and valve replacement...any insights, hope, anything to help.

thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-15-2011, 02:18 AM   #2
(female)

rosier HB Userrosier HB Userrosier HB Userrosier HB Userrosier HB Userrosier HB User
Re: My Mom has a lot going on and i need help

You did not mention the type of valve being replaced. But she does have a lot going on and about the receovery from bypass will be hindered not only from what is making her sick, but also the diabetes. What will happen due to the diabetes, recovery could be a bit slower, but if they get the infection under control, surgery should be next. They should not operate with infection going on. That is taking a chance on infection going to the heart, which we all do not want to happen. She will get better, time is on her side. They need to get rid of the fluid in the lungs, which will go into phneumonia if not done. Just hang in there, she will be fine. Hugs for today and prayers to you and her and family.

Rosier
Never give up.

Old 11-15-2011, 05:10 PM   #3
(female)

rhodes9 HB User
Re: My Mom has a lot going on and i need help

thanks for the prayers.....i just got home from the hospital and she is having surgery tomorrow at 9am its a mitral valve replacement and a quad bypass. They are putting a tissue valve in not a metal valve. They feel the infection she has is because of the bacterial vegetation in her heart and should be cleared when its replaced. We will see what tomorrow brings its in gods hands now just glad they found it in time before a heart attack developed. I will keep you posted

Closed Thread