It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2011, 04:12 AM   #1
(male)

peterdave HB User
Cardiac arrest. On ventilator. Has movement in the eyes. Is there any hope?

Can anybody please tell me about this

If doctor tells the patient has cardiac arrest after putting up for 3 days on ventilator and we have reversed the arrest by giving shock and still the patient has been put on ventilator with full support and high dosage of drugs. And if there is movement in the eye balls and eye lashes are up and down , what does it mean?
Is the patient still alive.
Please help me in this.
This is my father's case.

Old 11-15-2011, 03:25 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User
Re: Cardiac arrest. On ventilator. Has movement in the eyes. Is there any hope?

Hi I have read about a precious few patients whose brain waves were supposedly flat who came back but of course the decisions are always up to those involved. It can cost a good deal of money and sometimes they don't come back. It might be a good idea to wait awhile first before making a huge decision to see if there is improvement. Some people might wait a few weeks or months and in a few cases some wait years depending on the case, the people and unfortunately sometimes the insurance or lack. This is just the reality of what I have read to inform in case it helps with decisions.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-16-2011, 08:02 AM   #3
(female)

CindyB67 HB User
Re: Cardiac arrest. On ventilator. Has movement in the eyes. Is there any hope?

Jan. 10, 2010 I had severe Pulmonary Edema/with probable Heart Attack and I was on the ventilator for 1 day and when that happened just the fact of being on an ventilator complicates or makes the condition that much more severe in the medical fields eyes. I can't tell you how many times they told me how lucky I was to still be alive during that hospital stay and even with subsequent hospital stays it always comes back to you have been on the ventilator correct??? Do you have a living will?? Yada Yada Yada They tell me it is so important to get this and a health directive in order soon just because of this. I was a approached while still on the ventilator in fact about if I wanted to get one set up??? Lets just say that went over very well!!! I was so shocked they would ask me that...it was like hey do you wanna die now??? LOL

But yeah the being on the ventilator automatically makes them alarmists and the fact your father is still on it after 3 days on full support probably is telling you worst case scenarios are emenient. Has he had an EEG to check for brain waves??? I would say as long as he has brain waves there is still hope, but without them, I would concur with the medical field and say it might be time to say good bye...but this is a decision only you and your family can decide...don't let the medical field or anyone else push you into any decision before you are ready to make it! Praying for your family during this difficult time!!!! (((Hugs)))

Closed Thread