It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2011, 02:22 PM   #1
(male)

yobyo1 HB User
Stomach Problems and Heart Palpitations

A few weeks ago I was having pretty bad panic attacks that seemingly came at night after I ate and laid down. I've since stopped eating large meals and haven't had once since but I'm still have stomach pain and heart palpitations every now and then. Does anyone know if these things are linked? I've seen some things about GERD being related to heart palpitations but I'm not having any heart burn, just pretty bad stomach pain/bloat feeling after I eat.

Just to add, for my first panic attack I went to the hospital and everything checked out fine with my heart. I'm 26, in fairly good shape and don't abuse alcohol or tobacco.

Last edited by yobyo1; 11-21-2011 at 02:27 PM.

Old 11-25-2011, 02:52 PM   #2
(female)

CindyB67 HB User
Re: Stomach Problems and Heart Palpitations

Quote:
Originally Posted by yobyo1 View Post
A few weeks ago I was having pretty bad panic attacks that seemingly came at night after I ate and laid down. I've since stopped eating large meals and haven't had once since but I'm still have stomach pain and heart palpitations every now and then. Does anyone know if these things are linked? I've seen some things about GERD being related to heart palpitations but I'm not having any heart burn, just pretty bad stomach pain/bloat feeling after I eat.

Just to add, for my first panic attack I went to the hospital and everything checked out fine with my heart. I'm 26, in fairly good shape and don't abuse alcohol or tobacco.
Gastric Problems mimic heart issues so it would not be uncommon for someone with Gerd to have feelings that might feel like it was heart related. Since you have already had your heart tested for issues I think I can assure you that what you are probably experiencing is Gerd related. I think as with any new diagnosis or issue it is trial and error on what you can and can not handle and it sounds like you have figured out a lot by just eating smaller meals which to me means you are on the right track in figuring this all out.

Also Panic attacks mimic heart issues too...so that was probably what brought on the heart palpitations...And possibly the Gerd could have also...I just know for a fact the Gerd can cause heart pain and even change an EKG when you are having heart pain (or Gerd pain once they eliminated the heart diagnosis) But just to be the voice of caution, if you continue to have issues and the meds or what they have told you to do for Gerd don't seem to be helping or things seem to get work, don't think twice about going back in and getting it rechecked out. It is not uncommon for heart issues to go undiagnosed at first so just because you checked out ok then...doesn't mean they might not of missed something...but you know your own body and Panic attacks and Gerd will give you issues similar to heart problems, but don't be afraid to get rechecked out if things don't improve or get worse

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-26-2011, 01:45 AM   #3
(male)

yobyo1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyB67 View Post
Gastric Problems mimic heart issues so it would not be uncommon for someone with Gerd to have feelings that might feel like it was heart related. Since you have already had your heart tested for issues I think I can assure you that what you are probably experiencing is Gerd related. I think as with any new diagnosis or issue it is trial and error on what you can and can not handle and it sounds like you have figured out a lot by just eating smaller meals which to me means you are on the right track in figuring this all out.

Also Panic attacks mimic heart issues too...so that was probably what brought on the heart palpitations...And possibly the Gerd could have also...I just know for a fact the Gerd can cause heart pain and even change an EKG when you are having heart pain (or Gerd pain once they eliminated the heart diagnosis) But just to be the voice of caution, if you continue to have issues and the meds or what they have told you to do for Gerd don't seem to be helping or things seem to get work, don't think twice about going back in and getting it rechecked out. It is not uncommon for heart issues to go undiagnosed at first so just because you checked out ok then...doesn't mean they might not of missed something...but you know your own body and Panic attacks and Gerd will give you issues similar to heart problems, but don't be afraid to get rechecked out if things don't improve or get worse
It's the weirdest thing I've ever gone through. When I was having the panic attacks I'd always get cold right before it happened and my heart would start palpitating pretty badly, almost to the point where I thought I might pass out.

Ever since I've lightened up on the food I haven't had another one but it's very annoying/discouraging to still be having these palpitations. They are not constant but I'll probably notice 2 or 3 times out of the day (most of the time after eating) where it starts to palpitate for a few seconds. I'm almost certain its linked to something with my stomach because like I mentioned, symptoms always seem to come after I eat, I have pretty bad off and on diarrhea and my stomach seems to "growl" way more than it normally does. I also don't really have any chest pain. I get some slight tightness now and then where it feels like I'm not getting a full breath and I start yawning a lot but this is mostly after I eat. So I'm thinking maybe bloat or something?

I also seem to have developed some type of food "sensitivity"/"allergy" I guess you would call it. Sometimes after I eat, I'll get close to flu like symptoms for about an hour or so where I get really hot and lightheaded and I just have to go lay down. Weird right? It's just really discouraging because I can't even explain it to my mom without her thinkin' I'm nuts, so I really don't see how I would explain it to a doctor. I don't really have the insurance to go through all the testing they are probably gonna want to put me through either. So, I'm hoping that by eating better, all these thing will just go away.

Last edited by yobyo1; 11-26-2011 at 11:50 AM.

Old 11-26-2011, 03:38 PM   #4
(female)

CindyB67 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by yobyo1 View Post
It's the weirdest thing I've ever gone through. When I was having the panic attacks I'd always get cold right before it happened and my heart would start palpitating pretty badly, almost to the point where I thought I might pass out.

Ever since I've lightened up on the food I haven't had another one but it's very annoying/discouraging to still be having these palpitations. They are not constant but I'll probably notice 2 or 3 times out of the day (most of the time after eating) where it starts to palpitate for a few seconds. I'm almost certain its linked to something with my stomach because like I mentioned, symptoms always seem to come after I eat, I have pretty bad off and on diarrhea and my stomach seems to "growl" way more than it normally does. I also don't really have any chest pain. I get some slight tightness now and then where it feels like I'm not getting a full breath and I start yawning a lot but this is mostly after I eat. So I'm thinking maybe bloat or something?

I also seem to have developed some type of food "sensitivity"/"allergy" I guess you would call it. Sometimes after I eat, I'll get close to flu like symptoms for about an hour or so where I get really hot and lightheaded and I just have to go lay down. Weird right? It's just really discouraging because I can't even explain it to my mom without her thinkin' I'm nuts, so I really don't see how I would explain it to a doctor. I don't really have the insurance to go through all the testing they are probably gonna want to put me through either. So, I'm hoping that by eating better, all these thing will just go away.
You sound like you have a good solid understanding about what is going on and what is causing it. I would not want to make you doubt yourself as I always say You know yourself better than anyone else so trust your own instincts.

I will agree with you about the enormous cost of the testing it would take to either verify it is the heart or not and without insurance I would shudder at the idea of even considering it...But when you are seriously ill please don't let the cost ever hinder you from receiving medical help. ( I say this now because I agree with you that I do think it is probably stomach related since you have so eloquently convinced me of it being that) But in the future if you start having more alarming symptoms and still don't have insurance there are ways to get medical procedures you can't afford paid for, when the need really arises. Unfortunately there are too many people out there today who let the fear of costs keep them from getting help before it is too late.

My first cardiac event which has now been diagnosed as Congestive Heart Failure/Heart Attack I was the "miracle patient" who came in via ambulance so bad off and recovered so quickly and well but there was also the "tragedy" around the same time of a man who just walked into the ER just in time to give them his name and then he collapsed dead on the ER floor...and yes this story was shared to me by one of the nurses who usually works the ER and she was helping on the Cardiac floor so she remembered me, and knew about my case...and during our conversation she shared the tragedy of waiting too long. It was her impression that if he had just called the ambulance instead of trying to drive himself in that he would still be alive...Yes ambulances do cost lots of money but they are also there for a reason...in public hospitals (not private mind you) they either try to see if you qualify for state insurance or emergency funding or they even have trust funds which are like loan forgivenesses where in you are forgiven the amount you are owed and it is just you payed the bill in full. You can tell the difference in private and public hospitals by there in private hospitals there will be signs posted all around like we do not accept Medicaid/Medicare or they might say payment in full is expected when you are dismissed...Public hospitals will say "Even if you can't afford to pay for treatment we are required to stabilize you" and "We accept Medicaid/and Medicare" are posted everywhere. After living in an area long enough you will hear the horrer stories about the private hospitals making you take out loans and such either before delivery of a baby or right after having a baby...but usually I think it will become apparent pretty fast which hospitals are private and which ones are public.

I think right now you are good to go and it does sound like it is probably Gerd related but I just wanted to make sure you are equipped just in case in the future if something comes up you are knowledgable about what is out there to help you

Closed Thread