It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2011, 04:28 PM   #1
(male)

IJMcG HB User
what is shoulder/arm/back pain from the heart like?

I'm a 21 year old male who, over the last two months has convinced myself that I am going to die of a heart attack.

after the weekend of my 21st birthday I began having (what i'm told is) acid reflux that made me go to the emergency room which is what started everything. For the week following I had constant chest pressure and had to burp about 15 to 20 times an hour, but wasn't having any acidic or burning feeling, just pressure and burping. I was given medicine for GERD and it made my burping controllable.

The problem is I spend all day reading every health board and heart website on the net basically trying to convince myself I have a heart problem.

Now I feel like I have pain in my shoulders (primarily left) and elbow. It seems like the pain is probably muscular because if I do things like stretch one arm up high or rub my shoulder blade it seems to help relieve the shoulder pain, or if i extend my left elbow all the way and curl my wrist back it seems to make my left elbow pain feel better.

Does pain from the heart feel like it could be mistaken for muscular pain, like it could seemingly be helped by stretching? Or is it completely different in nature. Can someone describe what the pain is like?

My shoulder/arm/back pain never seems like it starts in the chest and then spreads out to the extremities.

I have been to the ER twice and had multiple EKG's, an x-ray, and blood work done, everything came back fine. I have a resting heart rate around 52, which kind of scares me but the doctor says its fine for someone my age. I'm not strong or muscular nor do i lift weights but over the summer i was playing basketball 5 times a week and during the school year 2 times/per so maybe i'm in better condition than i think?

Am I just way over-analyzing any little ache and pain in my body?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-26-2011, 04:55 AM   #2
(male)

Jimmysyd HB UserJimmysyd HB User
Re: what is shoulder/arm/back pain from the heart like?

I ended up in emergency years ago with what I thought was a heart attack but was gastric reflux. Test done all was normal. It affects the stomach, chest and throat and can be troublesome

One of the worst things with the internet is reading how a common sore throat could be throat cancer.

I suggest you stop reading things and self diagnosing yourself.

Your a growing young man and aches and pains happen.

If it remains, you see a doctor, but I would guess your arm pains are muscular and not heart related. So stop self diagnosing yourself so much.

I know because I am the same.

Closed Thread