It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2011, 03:14 AM   #1
(female)

Castle Aoki HB User
Fast pulse - getting faster and faster...

Hello,

I was born with a high heart rate but doctors felt it would slow down as I grew older. It stayed at 120 for years (until I was 25) and all doctors said I looked great and needed no medication. However, over the past several years, after having a child and going through some major life stresses my heart rate has increased to about 170 (resting). It also seems to be beating harder (I don't know how to explain it); kind of beating against my ribs, it feels so alarming. :P I was diagnosed with Grave's disease about 2 years ago and my doctors felt resolving that issue would lower my heart rate. Well, no, it didn't. It did not change at all, if anything, that's when the palpitations started. I no longer have healthcare but wonder if I'll even get covered now and I'm definitely fearful of this flopping sensation in my chest. My heart rate doesn't change too much, even when I exercise, I don't know if that's significant but I always thought it was odd. Any advice or comments would be appreciated. Should I just go to the hospital or wait to get new insurance?

Thanks,

Worried About Her Heart

Old 11-27-2011, 05:46 AM   #2
(female)

Daisy65 HB UserDaisy65 HB UserDaisy65 HB UserDaisy65 HB UserDaisy65 HB UserDaisy65 HB UserDaisy65 HB User
Re: Fast pulse - getting faster and faster...

A few months ago I started feeling bad, and I checked my blood pressure (I have extreme high blood pressure), it was normal, but my heart rate was 148.............I had been under a lot of stress for quite a while. My husband took me to the ER, and they did a ekg, and I was diagnosed with A - Fib. I was admitted to the hospital and put on a IV drip of Cardizem for several hours. The heart doctor was about ready to do a procedure on me when the medication started working and I converted back to sinus rhythm, so they didn't have to do the procedure on me, and I was glad. They changed my medication .............took me off of Norvasc and put me on Diltiazem 24 HR ER 240 mg capsule. That medication works for me. I am also on atenolol, and clonidine for my bp/heart. the Diltriazem is time released and it regulates my heart rate. Every once in a while, I will get a fast heart rate, but it has only happened a few times. they told me I would have good days and bad one. This one capsule has I improved the quality of my life.

Have you been checked for A-Fib? if you haven't maybe you should ask your doctors about it.

I hope you start feeling better soon.

hugs,
Daisy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-27-2011, 10:24 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
Re: Fast pulse - getting faster and faster...

It is not normal or healthy for a heart to beat fast ALL the time! There are inexpensive medications which can slow the heart down to a healthy rate, although they do come with side effects. For instance, the one I take, to slow down my heart, is Digoxin which has been around for hundreds of years, and is $10, without insurance, for a three month's supply.

The heart is "designed" to rest between beats. The health of a heart could be negatively effected if it is constantly under the pressure of a fast, stressful beat.

⇒ Avoid allergic & non-allergic irritants/triggers
⇒ Low calorie ovo-vegetarian diet
⇒ Power walk, weight lifts, pushups
⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Last edited by Machaon; 11-27-2011 at 10:26 AM.

Closed Thread