It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2011, 10:11 PM   #1
(male)

jeepnsleep HB User
Palpitation awareness

Hi all....I'm a 45 yr old male who was diagnosed with high blood pressure a year ago....I've been on benicar/hct 40/12.5 and while it keeps my bp around 125/75 I also started experiencing forceful palpitations (the heart rhythm is normal, the beats just feel more forceful and therefore I'm aware of them)....my father had a mild heart attack last year while in his 80s so after he went through that my regular doctor suggested I see a cardiologist and have some tests run to see the possible cause of the palpitations and overall cardiac health. I've had a chest xray done (heart not enlarged), ekg (normal with a few pvc's), 24 hour holter monitor (normal with a few pvc's), myoview nuclear stress test (came back fine), echocardiagram (came back fine, ejection fraction 70%), and an ebt scan (calcium score came back as zero, the best you can get).....

currently taking benicar/hct 40/12.5 for the blood pressure and carvedilol 12.5mg 2x/day for the palpitations....they are not as bad as they used to be and I've cut caffeine out of my diet.....I've read that the hct component of the benicar can flush too much potassium out of the system, thereby causing the palps.....my recent blood tests show everything within normal range, total cholesterol 170, hdl 40, ldl 107, tryglycerides 140.....

I'm 45yrs old, weight 280 and am 6'4 so obviously need to lose about 40lbs....

I feel fine otherwise....anyone have any idea how to get rid of the palpitations? I've tried magnesium and potassium supplements which did not work....I've noticed that the less I "worry" about them, the less I notice them....

any suggestions and comments appreciated!

Dave

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-29-2011, 05:56 PM   #2
(male)

Jimmysyd HB UserJimmysyd HB User
Re: Palpitation awareness

I get beat in the neck and palpitations when I am nervous or stressed. Or you feel one at night or resting and then you mind just sits on the thought that you can feel them, makes you stressed about them (even though you might not think you are) and then you feel them more.

All the more worse if you worry then your head gets heavy and tight and you start to even hear them echo in your ears.

I am going for tests for some PAC's soon, and if I am told that everything is ok, I am not going to think about it anymore.

Because 5 days ago before I noticed a skipped beat, I was happy and not worried about my heart at all. Now all I do is check my pulse all the time. Stressing out, giving myself more stress, a head that feels so much tension and palpitations at times.

All because I sit there hour after hour, day after day and stress. Even though my doctor said nothing was wrong on my ECG. But it is really hard to get your mind off these things, especially for me when I have further tests to come.

The mere fact you post on this forum seeking help means you have stress relating to this issue. I think you got the answer at the end, the less you worry about them the less you notice or have them.

Closed Thread