It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2011, 03:45 PM   #1
(male)

skier1 HB User
Just got two stents-pain continues, help

just got two DES last week and thought the chest pain would be relieved. However, I still have chest pain even though the two blockages were opened wide by the stents. Doc says keep an eye on it but does not think there is a problem. Passed the exercise stress test yesterday. Very scared and confused.

Has ANYONE else had ongoing chest pain AFTER stents placed in arteries???

Old 12-05-2011, 10:52 AM   #2
(male)

cvcman HB Usercvcman HB Usercvcman HB User
Re: Just got two stents-pain continues, help

Quote:
Originally Posted by skier1 View Post
just got two DES last week and thought the chest pain would be relieved. However, I still have chest pain even though the two blockages were opened wide by the stents. Doc says keep an eye on it but does not think there is a problem. Passed the exercise stress test yesterday. Very scared and confused.

Has ANYONE else had ongoing chest pain AFTER stents placed in arteries???
describe the pain, same as before stents ?? Radiates to arm or jaw ? with exercition or at rest ? Location ? was it an echo stress test ??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-05-2011, 04:16 PM   #3
(male)

skier1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvcman View Post
describe the pain, same as before stents ?? Radiates to arm or jaw ? with exercition or at rest ? Location ? was it an echo stress test ??
Primarily in center of chest but sometimes migrates. Can last a long time--for hours on end. Happens at rest and not aggravated by walking up stairs, easy cycling, etc. Nitro does not fix it. BUT, MAYBE, gaviscon helps so maybe it is reflux and/or muscle pain due to stress since stenting.

Went to ER friday pain was bad and long lasting in afternoon and evening. Enzymes were perfect and ekg was good. Felt like an idiot for going to ER.

If pain continues, doc wants nuclear stress test.

Old 12-06-2011, 05:18 AM   #4
(male)

Go get the nuclear then podt back.

Old 12-06-2011, 05:50 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

bubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB User

Of course you must exhaust all cardiac testing, but it does sound like it could be reflux!

Old 12-06-2011, 09:06 AM   #6
(male)

skier1 HB User

Quote:
Go get the nuclear then podt back.
Thanks for the feedback.

I also think stress is playing a role and may be causing discomfort in chest wall. I've been reading too many horror stories on the internet. Sure wish all of the good news stories got posted as I am fairly certain that most stent patients do extremely well over the long term (I have talked with several friends and friends of friends with stents that are 3, 5, 10 and 15 years out with absolutely no problems at all). However, it seems that only people with problems tend to hit the internet to tell their bad news stories so we miss out on all the good news. Anyone on this forum with great success to pass along post stent????

Going to cardiac rehab tomorrow morning. Will talk with them about my situation and see how I do on the bike while hooked up to the heart monitoring. See if any pain on exertion and then go from there.

Still trying to adjust to the mental aspect of CVD.

Thanks again for the support.

Old 12-06-2011, 03:28 PM   #7
(female)

CindyB67 HB User

How long has it been since your stents were placed, because heart spasms can occur after stenting sometime causing pain for a little while after stenting. Not sure how long that can continue.

My concern is that you say Nitro is not helping your symptoms. Did it help before the stenting? What we know about Nitro is that it can calm cardiac issues, gastric issues, even muscles that share walls with your cardio system.

Could it be gallbladder related as my cardiologist told me that the two are interelated. If you have issues with one, you will probably have issues with the other and Nitro doesn't help at all with Gallbladder pain.

Instead of pushing for another nuclear stress scan, I would push for another heart catherization as that is what will for sure tell you if they fixed the whole heart with the prior stenting. Stress tests have false negatives and the only true picture is through heart catheriztion.

Praying you find relief for your pain and get your answers you need. Don't give up until you are satisfied with thier answers. Only you know how you are feeling and symptoms is your body's way of alerting you to issues. Good luck!

Old 12-10-2011, 06:54 AM   #8
(male)

skier1 HB User

Its been 2 and a half weeks since my stents were placed and the pain has almost disappeared. Probably a combination of spasms, indestion and stress. I've been to two cardio rehab sessions and the return to exercise has been nice.

Hoping that things will continue to improve and that I will get over the mental aspect of this problem very soon! I am also counting the days (347 left) until I can come off Plavix the horror drug.

Old 12-10-2011, 02:50 PM   #9
(male)

You dont need another cath at least not at this point, if the cardio Dr does the nuclear stress test its VERY accurate and can tell alot...I had and still have pains from time to time but never direct center pressure type like I did pre stent...
I had a DES and am still on plavix. I had mine over a year ago, alot of mental thinking can cause weird pains twingers etc...
I run 4 miles a day and bike 20 miles a day on the days i dont run..Im 52 yrs old and my blood work numbers are great'
HDL- 102 ( yeasterday)
LDL-70
Trygls. - 50
I still think about the stent everyday but try to live my life too, always got the nitro in my pocket but have never used it.

If I were you ask them to give you another stress test...Be SURE its done with the cardio Dr right there so he can see everything and tell you right then..Chances are its not heart related but it could be so lets find out...Always opt for the least invasive procedure...The nuclear is the next best to the angio...
Get r done

Old 12-10-2011, 08:15 PM   #10
(male)

skier1 HB User

Quote:
You dont need another cath at least not at this point, if the cardio Dr does the nuclear stress test its VERY accurate and can tell alot...I had and still have pains from time to time but never direct center pressure type like I did pre stent...
I had a DES and am still on plavix. I had mine over a year ago, alot of mental thinking can cause weird pains twingers etc...
I run 4 miles a day and bike 20 miles a day on the days i dont run..Im 52 yrs old and my blood work numbers are great'
HDL- 102 ( yeasterday)
LDL-70
Trygls. - 50
I still think about the stent everyday but try to live my life too, always got the nitro in my pocket but have never used it.

If I were you ask them to give you another stress test...Be SURE its done with the cardio Dr right there so he can see everything and tell you right then..Chances are its not heart related but it could be so lets find out...Always opt for the least invasive procedure...The nuclear is the next best to the angio...
Get r done
Thanks. I did have another stress test with the doc at my side. Passed no problem. I have also been to two cardio rehab sessions where they monitor me during my entire workout. Will be going for the next 10 weeks.

Are you considering when or if you will stop the plavix?

Old 12-11-2011, 06:28 AM   #11
(male)

which form of exercise stress did you have ?? Echo or nuclear ? The problem with stress tests AFTER a stent is you can have false POSITIVES with an echo, the nuclear is the next best to a angio.....IF your Dr is a cardioligst and was right beside you and you had a nuclear I wouldnt worry...

As for the Plavix...I just went this past Friday for blood work and I have been 1 year and 3 months since the stent and he didnt say I should quit it but I didnt ask either...They are involved in a big study now on DES and how long so im ok for now...

My blood work was GREAT
HDL= 102
LDL=70
Trygls= 50
My weight is perfect as I have lost 47 pounds with biking and running. Im 148.6 this morning and im 52 yrs old and 5'9" tall

I guess I just keep doing my thing and hope no other arteries plug. I did smoke when younger but quit 15 yrs ago..

Good luck

Old 12-11-2011, 08:18 AM   #12
(male)

skier1 HB User

Quote:
which form of exercise stress did you have ?? Echo or nuclear ? The problem with stress tests AFTER a stent is you can have false POSITIVES with an echo, the nuclear is the next best to a angio.....IF your Dr is a cardioligst and was right beside you and you had a nuclear I wouldnt worry...

As for the Plavix...I just went this past Friday for blood work and I have been 1 year and 3 months since the stent and he didnt say I should quit it but I didnt ask either...They are involved in a big study now on DES and how long so im ok for now...

My blood work was GREAT
HDL= 102
LDL=70
Trygls= 50
My weight is perfect as I have lost 47 pounds with biking and running. Im 148.6 this morning and im 52 yrs old and 5'9" tall

I guess I just keep doing my thing and hope no other arteries plug. I did smoke when younger but quit 15 yrs ago..

Good luck
Thanks CVC. Am I reading correctly--your HDL is higher than your LDL? Never heard of that before. What were your readings prior to or just after stenting. Have they improved? If so, how did you get your HDL levels up. Mine are low and need to be improved.

Old 12-11-2011, 06:16 PM   #13
(male)

skier1 HB User

Quote:

My blood work was GREAT
HDL= 102
LDL=70
Trygls= 50

Good luck
CVC

It was normal stress test and have been exercising with a monitor at cardio rehab a couple of times. Pain is now virtually gone. Will go for nuclear if pain returns.

Can you elaborate on your cholesterol? I have never heard of anyone with higher HDL (good cholesterol) than LDL (bad cholesterol). Thats amazing. What was your HDL before you had your stent.

My HDL is low at 36 and trying to figure out how to increase it. LDL is 90. Total is around 145. They want me on a statin but I dont see any reason to risk the statin with such low cholesterol. But I would like to get my HDL up.

Any ideas?

Closed Thread