It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2011, 10:48 PM   #1
(male)

AWadd618 HB User
Heart Monitor Results Unsettling

Having suffered from a recent increase in the severity of my palpitations, I thought it wise to request another Holter monitor from my cardiologist.

I am a 26 year old male, good BP, good cholesterol, no history of heart problems in the family except for my father has some high BP (which, as I said, I do not). I exercise about 1hr each day, perhaps 90 minutes if I have time. I do a combination of cardio and weight training - I am fairly lean, 6 feet tall and 160lbs. I do not smoke, and I do not drink. I eat a very healthy diet.

Now that the basics are covered, I should mention some details about my background with palpitations. I have had them for about 5 years, and I have had a myriad of tests: 2 Standard Holters, 3 Event Monitors (King of Hearts), 2 Echos, and a Stress Test. I have also had all the blood work you can think of.

Recently, I was given a great opportunity to try out a new, 14-Day continuous recording Monitor Patch called a "ZIO" Patch. This amazing monitor records everything for 14 days, and has a button very much similar to a King of Hearts for which to identify the palpitations you feel. It is actually water resistent, and you NEVER take it of. It is a single-piece, very light (no wires, nothing like that)...just a sticker on your chest.

Today, I spoke with my cardiologist about the results:

- 13 days, 6 hours of recordings were delivered
- 6 Hours were "artifacts" (unreadable distortions) and could not be used for diagnostic purposes.
- A total of 75 Premature beats (72 PACs and 3 PVCs) - which she told me is a very low amount, only about 5 a day.
- No other irregular beats were recorded.
- According to the monitoring company's record, I recorded 75 'events'

The problem is, when I returned the monitor, I had actually recorded 125 events. I had pressed the button 125 times, and I had written down, in a log, each and every event that happened. Thus, somehow I am missing 50 "button-presses" or events that I did, in fact, want to have examined.

This, coupled with the fact that 6 hours of the recordings were Artifacts, leaves me still concerned. If, hypothetically, the doctor had said, "We have 125 button-presses, and 6 hours of artifact data.", I would NOT be worried, because I would know that all the symptoms I felt were picked up. However, the combination of MISSING 6 hours of data and 50 event recordings concerns me. If you do the math, that is about 8 events for every hour that wasn't submitted (based on 50 missing recordings).

When I recorded most of my events, I was exercising, which leads me to believe I am missing a substantial amount of relevant recordings from this 14-day trial. The cardiologist seems unconcerned at ALL.. she says that with only 2% of the data being artifact, we can be pretty sure that it is not significant. My argument was: 'you cannot say it was insignificant because you are missing MORE than just the recordings, you are missing my event triggers, too... and if during those 6 missing hours I had some potentially dangerous issues happening, it could be problem'. She gave me a look as if to suggest, "sheesh, another worrier".

I feel pretty justified in my malcontent about this, but I am curious to know what other people think. Should I really just NOT be concerned? Missing 50 of my events and 6 hours of data seems like a lot when you consider what could have happened in that missing time.

Thanks for any support.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread