It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2011, 01:59 AM   #1
(female)

afriendindeed HB Userafriendindeed HB User
Angiogram Test next week am nervous

Hi All
Have posted previously with no results. I'm set for "another" angiogram next week. I had one 4-5 years ago with negative results. It was awful. The aneasethetic wore off before they removed the wire from my groin. The male nurse at the time said I'm really sorry, this is going to hurt like hell so squeeze my hand as hard as you like. To be honest it felt like I was having my insides ripped out and the pain afterward horrible. I told another male nurse afterward that I was in pain. His response "you should think you're lucky and think of those less fortunate than yourself" and walked away. I was shocked. I have now been diagnosed with angina and a small blockage in an artery 4-5 years later and am having awful pain in my back, sort of dull and sometimes sharp and heaviness in my chest and sometimes a stabbing pain. Is this what angina is. My mum was diagnosed at 39 and died of a massive heart attack at 65. All of my family have or had heart disease. With the had, they have died of it. I am 53, my aunty died at my age, my dad at 71. My sisters both have mitral valve problems. I am nervous. They all smoked I do not. I thought I was going to get away with it. Do you think if I tell the hospital of my last experience that they will take any notice and up my dosage. I'm so scared of going through that agonising pain again.

Old 12-06-2011, 05:10 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

Vyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB User
Re: Angiogram Test next week am nervous

I know how you feel
I suffered a cardiac arrest during my angiogram and there is no way I'll have another unless I'm heavily sedated .. have you asked them about sedation?

Is this going to be in the public or private health system?

Good luck.

The following user gives a hug of support to Vyking:
afriendindeed (12-06-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-06-2011, 11:29 PM   #3
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyking View Post
I know how you feel
I suffered a cardiac arrest during my angiogram and there is no way I'll have another unless I'm heavily sedated .. have you asked them about sedation?

Is this going to be in the public or private health system?

Good luck.
All I can say o'h my God. Was the angiogram that bad to cause a cardiac arrest or was it just timing? They say you have to be awake during the process so they can communicate with you. Why in the hell can't they just tell you afterward?? I am going to tell everyone I come in contact with about the last situation and beg for more sedation even if on bended knee. I am so scared to go through that again. Sadly, yes through the public system here in Australia on the Gold Coast. I don't have private insurance and am sort of kicking myself now. I thought I was infalable cause I don't smoke. Heriditary is heriditary I guess. What happened when you suffered cardiac arrest? What is happening with your condition now? I've been told not to lift anything heavy for 2 days afterward. How heavy is heavy? I'm a personal carer and lift people's wheelie walkers in and out of the car along with carry their shopping bags into their homes as well as clearn their houses. Wondering if this is all going to be too much? Maybe I should take time off afterward? The public system is a worry sometimes. Take care of yourself and thank you so much for responding to my post.

Old 12-07-2011, 11:31 AM   #4
Veteran
(male)

Vyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB User

When I had the arrest they revived me with a shock from a defibrilator, I didn't know what had happened until they told me.
They said - when they were checking the heart valves the cath tickled the wall of my heart and sent it into an abnormal rhythm (Ventricular Fibrilation) and I arrested immediately.

My cardioligist said it can also happen because the dye is thicker than blood and if you have severly blocked arteries the thick dye can cut off the blood flow.

I had two 90% blockages in the left arteries and one 70% blockage in the right, I was admitted straight away and had a triple bypass 2 days later (Oct 2009).

My Angio was also through the public system (John Hunter Newcastle) - but I can't complain, they saved my life.

I'm fine now and the Angina has gone.

It might pay to take 2 days off work just to be on the safe side.
Ask your Doc for a couple of Valium to calm you down.

Good luck.

Old 12-08-2011, 05:30 AM   #5
(female)

Wink Re: Angiogram Test next week am nervous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyking View Post
When I had the arrest they revived me with a shock from a defibrilator, I didn't know what had happened until they told me.
They said - when they were checking the heart valves the cath tickled the wall of my heart and sent it into an abnormal rhythm (Ventricular Fibrilation) and I arrested immediately.

My cardioligist said it can also happen because the dye is thicker than blood and if you have severly blocked arteries the thick dye can cut off the blood flow.

I had two 90% blockages in the left arteries and one 70% blockage in the right, I was admitted straight away and had a triple bypass 2 days later (Oct 2009).

My Angio was also through the public system (John Hunter Newcastle) - but I can't complain, they saved my life.

I'm fine now and the Angina has gone.

It might pay to take 2 days off work just to be on the safe side.
Ask your Doc for a couple of Valium to calm you down.

Good luck.
Good to hear back from you actually. This is all medical stuff but effects one emotionally and have been have to say emotional tonight. Thank you so so much for your reply. I so appreciate your response. Goodness, what you have just told me they told me today is one of the worst outcomes with the defiribulator etc and then your ongoing afterward. You poor thing, what a shock overall that must have been to you. The angio is somewhat invasive I was advised but at the same time you are in the best place if something bad happens rather than down the track out on your own. Way it up I guess? I put it to them re my last experience over and over via nurse, doctor and prof and is now on record and will repeat when I return. What they used back then was another "so called" method that they are not ha ha using anymore but they said we don't wan't you getting anxious and your heart racing and I said well it will be from my last experience so just sedate me however and they said basically at the end of the day "no problem". The overall reason I found out today that they feel this angio is absolutely necessary is because my stress test showed that my heart was under stress during the test and possible cause of a blockage plus my family history. Here goes. Thanks again for your insight, so much appreciated and keep well.

Closed Thread