It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2011, 03:07 PM   #1
(male)

tun HB User
All Tests Negative - Over a month of chest pain

I am a 30 yr old male, very athletic. I usually train in a combination of martial arts, weight lifting, running etc 3 hours a day 5 days a week. I have been very healthy all my life. I do not drink, smoke, or take supplements. During the end of Oct I noticed that my energy was very low and that I was fatiguing rapidly during any exercise. I thought I was over training a bit, so I backed off and rested a few days.

On the night of Nov 11th I was just about to fall asleep when I experienced extreme chest pain and tightness, I tried to stand, but I fell back into bed. My heart rate went up to around 180, I started to go numb and loose consciousness. The paramedics came and took me to the ER, my blood pressure was 143/70something. Normally my BP is 115/60. In the ER they took x-rays, blood work, EKG and all tests were negative. The doctor told me I had a panic attack and that I should go home and relax. I was discharged.

I was still experiencing pain in the left side of my chest, center chest, and had developed fairly intense nausea. Two days later I was back in the hospital trying to get my records so I could go to a PCP and I almost collapsed in the records room. They admitted me to the ER again, and ran the same tests, xray, blood work, ekg, and still no indication that I had heart problems. BP was still elevated. Saw a cardiologist and scheduled an echo. I told him that the pain got worse when I tried to sleep, which led him to think it was a pericarditis, even though nothing was showing up on the tests. He started me on a anti-inflamatory and scheduled an echo.

Got the echo a few days later and follow up a week after that. Which puts us at Nov 23rd. Cardiologist says everything is fine, my pain is constant, breathing is difficult, I am always tired, and I start to develop little incidents of disorientation. He prescribes Colcrys (i think) and tells me to come back in a week and see where I am.

Sunday the 11th around 4am, I am in bed, and the chest pain becomes extreme once more. I try to make it to the car but collapse before my gf can drive me to the hosp. I don't loose consciousness but I cant really do much of anything. Paramedics come again, take me to the er. They run the same tests again nothing. I ask them to test for infection disease at this point, they dont listen. I try to explain that I am still in a lot of pain and having trouble walking. Tell me i'm fine and need to rest. I am discharged again, and go home.

The pain has not lessened all day, I call the cardiologist and demand to see him that afternoon. They schedule me for a few hours later, but the pain is crippling and I cant stay on my feet. I am taken to another hospital now and immediately the run an echo, xray, blood work, etc...all negative. My disorientation is out of control at this point. They give me prednisone and tell me to go home and rest. I tell them that I cant stand due to the disorientation, and they insist that I leave. I am discharged and basically bedridden at home.

My symptoms get worse and on weds the 30th i finally get admitted to the hospital. At this point my bp is 165/90 something. Which for me, is insanely high. They stop all inflammetory meds at this point since they dont think its pericarditis anymore. I get a MRA on my brian, throat, and a CAT scan on my chest. Everything is negative.

The anti inflammatories were driving my bp up and it eventually drops after 3 days in the hospital. still not great, but not 165/90. I am able to walk again and I get discharged dec 3rd.

Currently I am still extremely weak. Chest pain is gone, I do have horrible heart burn, and my BP is still high for me 135/80ish. I have a Nuclear Stress test tomorrow 12/7/2011 to see if they can catch anything.

I have a bp cuff and check it often. My BP is constantly elevated. Laying down to sleep is still very painful, i believe it makes my heartburn worse. I was passing my bowel last night and almost fainted on the toilet.

Is there anyone who has gone through something like this? Anything at all really. Its great that the test come back negative, I'm thankful i didnt have a heart attack, but i am also extremely frustrated that my body is basically ruined for no apparent reason.

Last edited by tun; 12-06-2011 at 03:09 PM. Reason: 1st post

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-06-2011, 04:07 PM   #2
(female)

CindyB67 HB User
Re: All Tests Negative - Over a month of chest pain

Hmmm...sounds like you are being given the right tests but your symptoms are alarming. If you tests hadn't came back normal I would have sworn sounded like heart especially the almost passing out. I don't think a panic attack can mimic that, but I may be wrong.

Don't give up yet, even when they know it is heart related it takes a while to hand down the final diagnosis and I am talking months here. Just remember you are the one who is feeling the symptoms and you keep pushing for answers until they can convince you that thier diagnosis is right

Praying you find your answers soon

The Following User Says Thank You to CindyB67 For This Useful Post:
tun (12-08-2011)
Old 12-06-2011, 07:22 PM   #3
(male)

cvcman HB Usercvcman HB Usercvcman HB User

My opinion is those blood tests and ekg's/echos are worthless....I passed them all too with chest pains and my LAD was 98% blocked....You need at the very least a nuclear stress test...If ANYTHING shows you need an angio asap. It may or may not be heart related but I dont know why they always do the blood work and ekg's instead of just doing the stress test and an angio...If I had listened to what my GP said ( its a pulled muscle) I would be dead by now...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cvcman For This Useful Post:
bubbli3 (12-09-2011), tun (12-08-2011)
Old 12-07-2011, 05:10 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tun View Post
... During the end of Oct I noticed that my energy was very low and that I was fatiguing rapidly during any exercise. ... On the night of Nov 11th I was just about to fall asleep when I experienced extreme chest pain and tightness, I tried to stand, but I fell back into bed. My heart rate went up to around 180, I started to go numb and loose consciousness.
In the months or weeks prior to the end of October did you buy any new furniture, bedding, clothes, appliances, cleaning chemicals, etc? Did you change your diet? Any new drinks? New computer or any other electronic equipment? Use glue or caulking, or paint? New subscription to a newspaper or magazine?

⇒ I avoid common ordinary but unhealthy household items
⇒ Balanced, healthy diet
⇒ Exercise
⇒ I alter my Circadian Rhythm
⇒ I LOVE COREG!

The Following User Says Thank You to Machaon For This Useful Post:
tun (12-08-2011)
Old 12-08-2011, 08:49 AM   #5
(male)

tun HB User

Thanks Cindy. This whole thing is extremely frustrating, esp when the doctors do not listen. I've been bouncing around docs trying to find one who will take this seriously.

Old 12-08-2011, 08:56 AM   #6
(male)

tun HB User

cvcman: Thank you. I had my Nuc Stress yesterday, getting the results today. It was like pulling teeth to get them to sign off on it. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Machaon: i've been looking back and trying to figure out if anything has changed within the past few months, and nothing really stands out. I'm basically obsessing at this point to try and see if I can find anything.

Old 12-08-2011, 11:34 AM   #7
(male)

tun HB User

I just got my stress test back...everything seems ok with the except of my EF level.

The LV EF was calculated at approximately 51%.

Of course I began looking this up, and its lower than what is "normal".

Doesn't exactly give me a warm and fuzzy feeling.

Old 12-08-2011, 02:05 PM   #8
(male)

tun HB User

Three things still ongoing

1. Mild chest tightness right below my sternum. (heartburn???)
2. High BP my norm is 115/60, ive been averaging 130/79
3. Constant dizziness / lightheaded, I just feel in a fog.

With the exception of my EF being 51%, has anyone heard of elevated BP with the following tests all being negative?

1-All cardiac blood work
2-Xray
3-MRI/CT on Head, neck, chest
4-Echo
5-Nuc Stress Test

Trying to find things in the forum and online...but once i rule out heart issues...nothing concrete seems to come up.

Oh, and I noticed a note on one test "Fatty Liver", docs never said anything to me about it. I don't know what that is either...

Old 12-08-2011, 11:50 PM   #9
(male)

yobyo1 HB User

I'm going through similar symptoms, although not quite as severe. I'm having chest pains pretty constantly, palpitations, random chills, shortness of breath (rare maybe once every week or two weeks) and I was having problems with my stomach but I've since started a diet and some of those have calmed down. I'm also having the "disorientation" from time to time but this mostly comes when I'm about to go to sleep.

I've looked into it and the only possible things I can think of are these 7...

1. Heart Failure - Seeing as how you went through a stress test with no problems, that pretty much rules that out.

2. Pericarditis - You said your doctors have checked your for Pericarditis, so that rules that out.

3. Pleurisy - This would explain the fatigue and the chest pain. However, most of the time Pleurisy is picked up on X-ray's so this is possibly ruled out.

4. Costochondritis - You could be having chest pain due to Costochondritis but interpreting it as heart trouble and it's causing you to have panic attacks which would account for the other symptoms (passing out, disorentation etc.). However, you said the doctor put you on anti-inflammatories and you didn't get any better so this is probably ruled out as well.

5. Intestinal Parasite - As weird as it sounds, an intestinal parasite can cause all of the symptoms you're having.

6. Infection - Probably ruled out because this should have been picked up in your blood tests (Unless your blood wasn't tested for infection).

7. Misdiagnosis - The doctors simply aren't interpreting the data that they are collecting correctly. Maybe it's time for a second opinion.

Hope this helps. Keep us updated man.

Last edited by yobyo1; 12-09-2011 at 04:12 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to yobyo1 For This Useful Post:
tun (12-14-2011)
Old 12-09-2011, 07:32 AM   #10
(female)

bubbli3 HB User
Thumbs up Re: All Tests Negative - Over a month of chest pain

Ok Tun I'm with CVCMAN
I had issues with my heart an it was no pain in my chest mine was upper back an it hurt as if some one beat my with a two by four. I felt like i would just for a milermiter of a second lose consciousness. But doc after doc for 4 years then we had to move to another town i got a heart doc there well here went to him for two years AN IT TOOK ME TWO YEARS to get him to understand some thing was wrong ekgs, egos, stress test nothing, they say nothing is wrong i'm saying yes there is. u know ur body better than anyone. I finally said look are ur test a 100% accurate? (doc: well no) me well what test can u do to prove to me 100% that my heart is fine. He says a heart catherterization i said ok that's what we are gonig to do he says well u don't need it ur not over weight u don't have high blood pressure u don't have any issues. I said we do it are i'll find some one who will cause something is wrong with me. He says well ur insurance will pay for it so i'll set it up. I said ok. A week later i had it an the next morning a day before my 42nd B/D i was having open heart surgery my main atery was 96% blocked they couldn't understand why i was still alive. One word three big letters GOD. Now imagine all those days i was sent back home told to resume to normal life which for me was mowing front an back yard i live in country i have hugggg yard front an back running with grand kids u get the picture. My heart surgen told me if i hadn't been persitant i wouldn't be here he still can't understand doing the things i did why i'm here so plzzz keep after an keep insisting on heart cath it is the only thing to show 100%. Good luck an God Bless u to u my new friend an feel free to chat me up any time Merry Christmas u will be in my prayers.

The following user gives a hug of support to bubbli3:
tun (12-14-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to bubbli3 For This Useful Post:
tun (12-14-2011)
Old 12-14-2011, 02:39 PM   #11
(male)

tun HB User

Thanks Yobyo and Boobi. I'm still digging. Got a new doc who listens, I'll ask about the Heart Cath thing...

I'm not gonna lie, that scares the hell out of me. The whole idea makes me really really uneasy, but I can't take the chance obviously. I'll call them tomorrow.

Yobyo: It's funny you say that right before sleep it gets weird. Same for me, the moments in between awake/sleep are the worst for some reason.

Other great news, my BP cuff was off...so my BP has actually been higher than what I thought... I've been averaging 140/150 over 80/90.

So still high BP, Dizziness and now....

New symptoms:
1. I get this crazy sharp pain center mast, just below my sternum. Feels like a muscle spasm but deep. Only a second , but strong enough to take my breath away.
2. Weird dry cough at random times throughout the day
3. My lungs hurt, esp if i take a deep breath

I am totally exhausted now, and kind of in a state of disbelief. A few months ago I was competing in high level martial arts tournaments and now its hard to walk around.

I'll keep posting, Yobyo good luck, the parasite thing might not be that far fetched, I eat a TON of sushi. Easily 60-80 pieces in a sitting. So maybe I picked up something nasty.

I appreciate the responses, really. I don't know who you people are but you've shown more interest in my situation than every person Ive met after 9 days at the hosp.

Old 01-01-2012, 11:32 PM   #12
(male)

yobyo1 HB User

I feel you man, my symptoms just came out of nowhere as well. I woke up one night last summer and my chest was hurting so I went to the ER and they said I just had a panic attack but I've had all these weird symptoms since then.

My symptoms have calmed down a lot but I'm still battling this ridiculous fatigue. Any updates with you?

Last edited by hb-mod; 04-27-2012 at 12:58 AM.

Old 01-02-2012, 04:50 AM   #13
(female)

Autumngirl2012 HB User

Your post resemble my experience from a healthy individual who eat healthy, workout and manage stress to my current state today with fatigue, dizziness, chest pain, almost loss of consciousness with the numbness, chest pressure, etc (I had them almost daily for months before they disappeared slowly). It all started by extreme fatigue after working out lead me to stop exercise for months before my symptoms complicated further possibly by stress until I experience the almost loss of conscious on a regular basis then decided to visit a cardiologist.

My cardiac electrophysiologiest said my 24-hours holter monitor has some problems (I added a post recently about my holter monitor results) because, around the time my symptoms started, the holter monitor will detect and record these events. I still did not receive any diagnosis beside palpitation. It was interesting to read about your dry cough because I still cough every now and then in a strange manner.

Do you suffer asthma or allergies?
Do you experience numbness on the left side of your body?
Have you done the holter monitor test? (If not, I would recommend you request your doctor to order the test)

Hope you feel better soon.

Old 02-05-2012, 06:31 PM   #14
(male)

tun HB User

Hey Autumn,

I am allergic to absolutely nothing, I have no asthma, no history of anything. We retested all my cardiac tests, got second opinions and nothing. My pump is as good as it gets. Looked at my liver, stomach, kidneys. Nothing really there either. I have elevated levels of certain things due to my muscle mass in my liver and kidneys but other than that im good. My symptoms seemed to go away on their own, and then returned just last week. They got pretty severe again, and my cough got worse. I had dull pain in my left hand and wrist that would just come and go. Very strong thumping heart beat that got MUCH worse if I laid down or raised my hands above my head.

Docs gave me a anti anxiety med, small dose, and within 1 hour my chest pain was gone. I can sleep for the first time in months. Everything stopped, all my symptoms are gone. Its like they vanished. I am a little tired, but i started to work out again. My strength is there, and I've pushed through some intense workouts. So maybe a virus, maybe anxiety? I cant say. I am happy I feel better, and as far as tests for my heart are concerned, there are no other tests that I can do.

If this was all stress related it boggles my mind. There were days I was literally crawling on the floor trying to get to my front door, while the paramedics were basically kicking it down.

I'm still scratching my head about the whole thing, but its getting better so ill take it. Just being able to sleep, to sleep on my side, is a god send.

If anything changes I'll keep posting, I wish I had more concrete evidence or findings to list. I know other people are getting hit with this type of thing as well.

Good luck to all of you.

Old 04-26-2012, 11:37 PM   #15
(male)

yobyo1 HB User

Any updates?

Last edited by hb-mod; 04-27-2012 at 12:57 AM.

Closed Thread