It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2011, 12:52 AM   #1
(female)

iwanttobefree HB User
HELP - dilemma about medication

I have been on Nadolol for SVT since May 2009, 40mg. Prior to this I was having frequent episodes, and since that time have not had any.

In September this year I cut down to 20mg, largely as I was wanting to get fit and the beta blocker was getting in the way.

In the last week or so my pulse has dropped quite significantly, and yesterday was at times as low as 38. Usual for me is mid 50s. I am 41 and semi fit, but not fit enough to have that low a pulse lol. BP has remained constant at 110/70.

My GP said to stop the Nadolol immediately, but I was reluctant as am fearful of going back to frequent SVT attacks and hospital trips, adenosine etc. Also, I find it odd that this occurs on 20mg and didn't on 40mg!

I spoke briefly by phone to the cardiologist today who wasnt really much help. He says a low pulse is fine if I am not symptomatic. I have had occasional periods of exhaustion, but generally ok, and still working fulltime and single mum of four! He also said a trial of no medication might be useful, and that I could pop a half pill (20mg) if I had SVT attacks.

I am considering a middle ground of 1/4 pill (10mg) to see if it lifts the pulse slightly. Having said that, I took 1/4 last night and today my pulse has varied between 45 and 52. Today I also did 10 minutes on the cross trainer and my HR went to 130, and one minute later was at 60.

Any thoughts?? The irony is I actually wanted to get off the beta blocker totally, but wanting to is one thing, being told to stop NOW is another - I find it a bit scary and am not confident - don't want the SVT to return.

Last edited by iwanttobefree; 12-09-2011 at 12:54 AM. Reason: add info

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-09-2011, 12:07 PM   #2
(female)

iwanttobefree HB User
Re: HELP - dilemma about medication

Nobody can help??

Old 12-13-2011, 12:16 PM   #3
(female)

tfos7780 HB User
Smile Re: HELP - dilemma about medication

I'll try to help... I also take a beta-blocker and an ACE inhibitor and my pulse is generally low also. It usually runs about 55 and can get as low as 45. I do workout 4+ times a week and it is mostly cardio so my pulse tends to run low. I spoke with my cardiologist about taking me off the beta-blocker so I can get my heart rate up in my target zone, he said that is nonsense. You do NOT have to get your heart rate in a specific zone in order to burn fat. He kept me on my beta-blocker but did agree to lower my dose and he is correct, as long as you get your heart rate up and keep it for a sustained period, you will not only burn fat and calories but your heart will be a lean and healthy muscle - as it is intended to be! The beta-blocker will NOT get in the way of getting into shape! I went from a size 16 to a size 2 on my medications - it's all simple math (calories in vs. calories out/burned).

I always caution anyone who wants to quit their beta-blocker cold turkey, that can be dangerous. I would taper off at the very least...maybe take a lower dose and see how you feel. However, by all means, start a workout routine, not only will you see a difference but you will also feel a difference - your energy level will increase and overall will feel so much better!

Best of luck! I hope I helped at least a little bit

Closed Thread