It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2011, 02:34 AM   #1
(male)

keir64 HB User
21 yr old, heart condition?

Hi there, I'm a 21 year old male from Scotland

Have always been moderately active (last year was cycling over 50 miles a week to work) and apart from that generally run/walk wherever im going (dont drive)

I for smoked for roughly 5 years up untill a few months ago.

I spent about 10 weeks in hospital this year, due to a knee injury, during which time I was very inactive and eating alot of very unhealthy food.

I was starting to experience anxiety whilst in the hospital, feeling short of breath, off balance, etc, and when I left the hospital this anxiety seemed to go full blown.

I ended up back in hospital, as the knee flared back up, and they recommended me for blood tests etc as they could see I wasnt in the best state. I explained to them my symptoms, which included

Anxiety

Loss of balance

Tired all the time

Unable to sleep properly

Heart racing

Breathlessness

Not being able to think straight

to mention a few.

So, the doctors took all of these blood tests, thyroid, blood sugar, liver, kidneys, blood count, inflammatory markers, and maybe one or two more, these all came back fine.

I had an X-Ray taken of my chest, and a CT scan of the brain, again, both came back absolutely fine.

I was recommended for psychiatry, who told me that (for some unknown reason to me) I was experiencing depression and anxiety. He gave me prozac.

My other symptoms were seeming to calm down, only because of the reassurance from all the tests and scans etc coming back fine, but I was still generally aware of my heart beating. It would race with very little effort, and never seemed to settle when resting.

I made the doctors aware of this, and they took an ECG of my heart, and again said it was completely normal. They also listened to my chest and lungs with a stethoscope and this too was fine.

Now I have left hospital, and besides having a few off days, I am feeling more or less fine. I have stopped taking prozac weeks ago, as I was never keen on it. I have decided to let these feelings of anxiety go, especially based on all of the reassurance from the doctors, but I cant shake my heartbeat. I can constantly feel it, it races with little effort, and I have palpitations. Im tired all the time, and get breathless.

Is this anxiety? Or worth getting checked out?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-14-2011, 03:19 PM   #2
(male)

Jimmysyd HB UserJimmysyd HB User
Re: 21 yr old, heart condition?

Anxiety and Stress is such a wonderful nasty thing sometimes. It can cause any and all symptoms under the sun.

I would suggest you are feeling your heartbeat and now you have noticed it, you are more aware of it, and thus you are feeling it more.

It's a vicious cycle and sometimes very hard to shake. Then you stress about it more and you feel it more.

You simply have to get it out of your head, get your mind off it. You have had a lot of tests that all came back fine.

Anxiety, once you get that under control the better. I have been there, done that, took me weeks to get over myself, and shut it out. And guess what, I feel it allot less, unless I start to think and concentrate on it again, then bingo, starts up again.

Old 12-14-2011, 03:30 PM   #3
(male)

cooper73 HB User
Re: 21 yr old, heart condition?

looks like all your tests have come back fine which is good. guess what your not alone here i went to docs last week for my chesk up as im on bp tablets well she wanted to take me of both of them but she only taken me of 1 (amlodipine) but still on bisoprolol this is because i get palpitations and can feel my heart beating but i did say to her this is mainly when i excercise so she then said to me that im one of the unfortunate people that can feel there heart beat all the time which she called it cardeophobia lol sounds like im scared to excercise lol. but yes because your concious of your heart beat it just makes you want to cheack it all the time so sounds like you are aware and making you get abit of Anxiety this is a horrible word and can bring on many symptoms etc. i wish you all the best

Last edited by cooper73; 12-14-2011 at 03:32 PM.

Closed Thread