It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2011, 05:22 PM   #1
(female)

nora01 HB Usernora01 HB Usernora01 HB User
ICD lead fracture = unnecessary shocks

earlier this week my husbank (40) icd went off for the first time. Then it went off again and again. By the time police/ ambulance got here (which was very fast) it had gone off 4 times. It went off another 4 times in ER until they could find magnet to get it to stop. The maker of device rep came to hospital to diagnose device and determine the lead fractured causing "noise" that made the device think his heart was in VT = shocking. The rep was great- turned device off and got transported to bigger hospital where we originally had it implanted. The implanted new device and new leads. Home now but he is obviously very concerned its going to go off again.

Has this happened to any one else? If yes, how was your experience with new device?

His device was originally put in 2003.

Thanks

Old 12-23-2011, 09:00 AM   #2
(female)

angabeth HB User
Re: ICD lead fracture = unnecessary shocks

Hi, I am sorry to hear about your husbands recent experience. There was an announcement this month about St Jude Medical's Riata and Riata ST leads- they have been failing in use, leading to inappropriate shocks and more scarily failure to shock. Many thousands were used in the US and UK until last year. I would enquire about the brand of lead that failed- your cardiologist will have the details. I suspect there may be a lot more about this in the press soon so have a search.
New leads will be a different type, and should last many years.
I hope you are both recovering from this experience, and wish you well for the New Year.
Regards, Angela

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-23-2011, 04:23 PM   #3
(female)

nora01 HB Usernora01 HB Usernora01 HB User
Re: ICD lead fracture = unnecessary shocks

thanks- it was a Medtronic icd and the leads were not the Fidelis ones that were recalled.

I was always checking their website for recalls. The new device is by Boston Scientific.

we can only pray no more issues in future.

Closed Thread