It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2011, 09:28 PM   #1
(male)

dantescritic HB Userdantescritic HB User
Worried about a sensation climbing stairs?

Hi everyone I am a 23 year old male, currently I am down to 216 lbs from 239I suffer from Anxiety and mild hypertension which is now under control with medication and exercise.
What I worry about is that I still have an odd sensation I was hoping someone could tell me is either serious, or benign. Basically when I climb stairs and get to the top I feel a heartbeat on the left side of my neck. It really makes me scared and I feel like perhaps I have a blocked artery on that side or something. Occasionally it is more in the center of the back of my neck. It happens when I go up inclines or climb hills.

The only exercise that seems to cause this reaction is stair climbing. I do 50 minutes of bicycling everyday, as well as walk. But for some reason any time I am on an incline when I get to the top I feel a heartbeat in my neck. I do smoke cigarettes, and should probably quit but just want to know if I can relax. This feeling is like a hard pulsing in that area and isn't associated with any symptoms, it generally goes away in 15-20 seconds. Is this a normal symptom that I am exacerbating with my anxious thoughts?

My doctor has already given me 2 echocardiograms, both show my heart to be in fine order. Ive also had 3 EKG's, all normal.

Old 01-01-2012, 03:29 PM   #2
(male)

Jimmysyd HB UserJimmysyd HB User
Re: Worried about a sensation climbing stairs?

I would not worry, it's probably adrenaline that get shot into your heart by the time you reach the top of the stair. I get this, but I can also get skipped or double beats sometimes when it happens to me. PAC's / PVC's.

If ECG and echo show you are fine, don't worry. It's just the old ticker realizing it need to pump more blood and kicks into action.

I bet every time you climb stairs you then go looking for it and thus you feel it and thus make it worse. Forget about it. You feel palpitations, they are normal.

The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmysyd For This Useful Post:
dantescritic (01-01-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread