It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2012, 07:09 PM   #1
(male)

dderrresa HB User
Thallium Stress Test and Cancer

Hello Everyone:

I am new here; But was wondering if thallium stress test causes cancer (blood cancer) later in life? I saw a canadian study online (http://www.cmaj.ca/content/early/2011/02/07/cmaj.100463.abstract) I hear theradiation from a single thallium stress test is equivalent to 1200 chest xrays. Don't you think that is very dangerous for our blood cells? Anybody with adverse effects? As you all know it takes five for solid cancers to develop and at least two years for blood disorders after radiation exposure.

Old 01-02-2012, 11:52 AM   #2
Veteran
(male)

Fizzickle HB UserFizzickle HB UserFizzickle HB UserFizzickle HB User
Re: Thallium Stress Test and Cancer

I've had 5 nuclear stress tests stretching back 25 or more years, and haven't shown any signs of blood cancer.

As long as I don't glow in the dark, I don't give it much thought.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-02-2012, 07:22 PM   #3
(male)

dderrresa HB User
Re: Thallium Stress Test and Cancer

Hello Fizzickle:

Thanks for your response. The risk of cancer per thallium scan is 1 per 500 people scanned. And the risk remains elevated for one's entire lifespan (i.e. 50 plus years). Actually radiation induced cancer has a minimum latency period of five years (i.e. for huge dose) and an average of 15 years or more. For Blood disorder like multiple mylenoma the latency period is 25 years or more; same goes for Lymphoma. I am glad you have no disorders or symptoms so far and I hope it stays that way for you. But for me I rather die of a stroke/heart attack than take a thallium stress test ever again. Also there are no long term human or nor animal data or studies available on the nuclear test. But don't expect your cardiologist to tell you that. It is basically use it at your own risk. I am sure there are multitude of people out there who have developed blood cancers as well as other solid tumors as a result of their imaging test. The radiation your receive from a single thallium stress test is comparable to The Japanese Atomic bomb survivors. So In my opinion nuclear stress test should be banned or heavily restricted. I say this because I have been affected by it. I guess you can say I am the unlucky one. What I am trying to do here is connect to people who have had same experiences so we stop other people from being harmed by theses procedure. I beleive there are many other modalities that use less radiation, like an MRI for the heart which has shown to be as effective as the nuclear test in detecting blockage.

v/r
Yonas

Closed Thread