HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Heart Disorders (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/heart-disorders/)
-   -   Getting to the hospital (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/heart-disorders/884415-getting-hospital.html)

swoosh 01-06-2012 07:52 AM

Getting to the hospital

Went to hospital last week for pvc's and once in a while my heart will beat 150-200 beats a minute. For example, your sitting on the couch and boom your heart starts racing to that. It only last's for 20 seconds at the most and I have been getting these once in a blue moon for 20 years.

I had an ekg run and talked to the docter. What concerned me is this turning into ventriclar fibrallition. He told me don't even worry about that, on the ekg my heart muscle was strong. Went to the family docter to follow up and he said that's just for the elderly or someone who has a heart malfunction. So, both seemed not to be too concerned.

Through 8 million thoughts in my head I forgot to ask this question and maybe someone with experience could help. Worst case scenario and my heart starts beating 200x a minute and won't stop will I have enough time to make it to the hospital before something serious goes down? Our hospital is 5-7 minutes away from my house. opinions thanks

Jimmysyd 01-06-2012 05:18 PM

Re: Getting to the hospital

Even if it did happen to beat at 200 bpm for a day, you will most likely still be alive. During which time you would have been to emergency within the first hour of that day, and hospital staff would give you one of many drugs to correct an abnormal rhythm.

Hearts are an amazing thing, and they can beat really fast for a long amount of time.

So once again if it does beat fast for a really long time you will be fine, and have plenty of time to seek medical help.

You really need to get those 8 million thoughts out of your head and get back to living life. Because it only takes 1 of those 8 million thoughts to freak you out while resting, shoot adrenaline into your heart and make your heart go a 200 mph.

Same affect when someone all of a sudden scares the heck out of you.

Vyking 01-06-2012 11:43 PM

Take it from me, if your heart goes into Ventriclar Fibrallition you won't even know it - you cannot feel it.

My heart went into VF and then cardiac arrest during an Angiogram - They had to shock me to get it restarted - I didn't feel anything and didn't even know it happened until they told me.

Try not to think about VF - like I said if it happens you wont feel it coming on.

swoosh 01-07-2012 07:43 AM

Thanks guys for replying it means alot. I know VT is sudden and in a way im not concerned about the sudden aspect. But, I'm concerned once in a blue moon my heart will go off to 200 bpm, when it does that will I have enough time to get to the emergency room before it turns to VF. For example, 5 minutes in. That's my concerned. Thanks for responding and any more info would be awesome.

Vyking 01-07-2012 03:20 PM

Hi swoosh,
I'm not a doctor but it is my understanding that your heart would need to remain in VT for quite some time before it turned into VF - So 5 minutes shouldn't be an issue.

Maybe someone else who's experienced episodes of VT can answer more clearly.

swoosh 01-08-2012 09:21 AM

Thanks VY. Any more info would be awesome to calm my fear. I guess if you think about it when your on a treadmill or a distance runner your heartbeat goes sky high for long periods of time. Like I said, I'm just nervous the one time my heart goes off and doesn't want to stop I have at least 10 minutes to get help before something serious goes down.

Machaon 01-08-2012 10:27 AM

In my case, I have learned that when my heart is not beating correctly, I need to avoid any further stimulus, stress or irritation to my heart. I have worn several 24 hours holter monitors, during which time I experimented quite a bit with things that I knew irritated my heart.

I learned that, in my case, when my heart was beating a little irregularly, most of the irregular beats would be above the ventricles (Supra-ventricular). The more that I "irritated" or stressed my heart, the more that the misfiring would occur lower in my heart, down in the ventricles; and the more erratic the beat. At that time, my symptoms would get worse, including more difficult breathing, feeling faint and lightheaded, sweating, feeling weak, etc. So...... now when I feel my heart jumping around and/or misfiring, I avoid anything that would cause further irritation.