It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2012, 07:19 PM   #1
(female)

kathg HB User
Inappropriate Sinus Tachycardia - 12 year old

Hi, My 12 year old daughter has been diagnosed with IST. She is otherwise fit and healthy. My problem is that Cardio thinks it may be post viral, however she has not been sick nor any virus? She has had ECG, echo and 24 hr holter. IST diagnosed from holter. It started suddenly 4 months ago and her main symptoms are overheating, sweating profusely, pale, sometimes shaky and nuetious. I really want a stress test and when we see the cardio I will request. Our concern is that she is very athletic and loves sport, the IST is causing exercise intolerance and even walking/sitting sets heart racing. She really wants to get back to netball and basketball as she plays at high level and is her passion. she has started low dose beta blocker - Metoprolol 10 days ago but has not help ed as heart still racing and symptoms occurring. Has anyone got any suggestions? i.e. graduated return to exercise, diet etc etc. Also has anyone got any other advice. Also will beta blocker hinder her from being able to compete in sports at her usual high level? Thanks and kind regards Kathy

Last edited by kathg; 01-07-2012 at 07:35 PM.

Old 01-07-2012, 08:20 PM   #2
(male)

Jimmysyd HB UserJimmysyd HB User
Re: Inappropriate Sinus Tachycardia - 12 year old

I looked at this in some depth. Cardiologists seem to be all over the place with this disorder. Some use drugs, some suggest ablation (but many times only fixes it for a short time), and many have the do nothing approach and that it will correct itself in time.

If it is bad, then try the drug approach, but I have heard that one can use trial and error over several different drugs before they get the right one.

But if the heart is healthy then I suggest the wait and see. It maybe hard for her to adapt at the start but hopefully the do nothing approach will correct the issue with time.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-08-2012, 07:39 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathg View Post
... It started suddenly 4 months ago and her main symptoms are overheating, sweating profusely, pale, sometimes shaky and nuetious.
When the heart is not beating and pumping correctly it can cause symptoms such as what your daughter is experiencing, among others.

I've had to endure heart palpitations, tachycardia and all kinds of heart rhythm problems; and multiple other symptoms for decades. In my case, the number one cause is allergies.

Allergy medications relieve my allergy symptoms, but not my heart rhythm and heart beat problems. For that, among other heart problems, I take an Ace Inhibitor (Quinapril), Digoxin and a Beta Blocker (Coreg); and I avoid many things, some seemingly innocuous, inside and outside of my home.

My tachycardia started when I was 17 years old. It occurred infrequently, just once in a while. It would beat around 160bpm for anywhere up to about an hour and then go back to normal.

Most of the time my heart beat normally. In my 50's my heart beat kicked in at 160 beats per minute and stayed fast 24 hours per day. I still, stupidly, did not seek proper medical treatment. The tachycardia continued for seven months until I was hospitalized for ten days with Heart Failure. The Cardiologist told me that a heart that is not allowed to rest sufficiently will slowly weaken.

Does your daughter's heart beat fast constantly?

⇒ Avoid allergic & non-allergic irritants/triggers
⇒ Low calorie ovo-vegetarian diet
⇒ Power walk, weight lifts, pushups
⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Last edited by Machaon; 01-08-2012 at 07:46 AM.

Old 01-09-2012, 04:53 PM   #4
(female)

kathg HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmysyd View Post
I looked at this in some depth. Cardiologists seem to be all over the place with this disorder. Some use drugs, some suggest ablation (but many times only fixes it for a short time), and many have the do nothing approach and that it will correct itself in time.

If it is bad, then try the drug approach, but I have heard that one can use trial and error over several different drugs before they get the right one.

But if the heart is healthy then I suggest the wait and see. It maybe hard for her to adapt at the start but hopefully the do nothing approach will correct the issue with time.
Thanks good advice. We tried nothing but getting worse so succumbed and she started beta blocker 2 weeks ago. She thinks it helps a little bit but she had not done any sport yet. I have just had her doing some swimming and walking. I am the kind of mum that likes to fix everything and take action, but am trying to be patient and keep her spirits lifted. She is starting high school soon which will hopefully take her mind off her heart

Old 01-09-2012, 05:10 PM   #5
(female)

kathg HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machaon View Post
When the heart is not beating and pumping correctly it can cause symptoms such as what your daughter is experiencing, among others.

I've had to endure heart palpitations, tachycardia and all kinds of heart rhythm problems; and multiple other symptoms for decades. In my case, the number one cause is allergies.

Allergy medications relieve my allergy symptoms, but not my heart rhythm and heart beat problems. For that, among other heart problems, I take an Ace Inhibitor (Quinapril), Digoxin and a Beta Blocker (Coreg); and I avoid many things, some seemingly innocuous, inside and outside of my home.

My tachycardia started when I was 17 years old. It occurred infrequently, just once in a while. It would beat around 160bpm for anywhere up to about an hour and then go back to normal.

Most of the time my heart beat normally. In my 50's my heart beat kicked in at 160 beats per minute and stayed fast 24 hours per day. I still, stupidly, did not seek proper medical treatment. The tachycardia continued for seven months until I was hospitalized for ten days with Heart Failure. The Cardiologist told me that a heart that is not allowed to rest sufficiently will slowly weaken.

Does your daughter's heart beat fast constantly?
Her 24 hr holter monitor showed sinus rhythm with a high mean rate of 89 ( a rate range of 45 to 185). There were no arrhythmias. She had symptoms throughout the 24 hrs and heart rate 179bpm, 138bpm, 185pbm, 100bpm etc. Sometimes it will go back to normal fairly quickly but sometimes takes 1 hour or more. When it is worse it makes her sick for days and really fatigued. Unfortunately when she had the holter monitor on she only had mild episodes and of course after taking it off she had a big episode later that day and it took a while for her heart rate to return to normal. I have taken her to Cardiologist who from the holder monitor diagnosed IST and recommended beta blocker Metoprolol 25mg and see how she responds. He sent a letter to our GP but I could not get back in to see him to discuss and find out more about IST. I have now got a second opinion and taken her to a different cardiologist as I didn't want to start her on medication without knowing more and actually seeing a cardiologist. The new cardiologist said lets wait and see and hopefully its some kind of post viral and she will get better in time. He gave us the option of starting beta blocker which we have done as my daughter really wanted to try it as she hates feeling like this. She has had a couple of panic attacks as a result of the IST but however now she knows more she is managing much better but is really not happy as she is always very active, fit and loves to do sport and exercise. We go back to the Cardiologist next week so we will see what he says. I find it really strange that the doctor said cause unknown and then in same sentence it could be dealing with a simple post viral phenomenon causing IST as she has not been sick? So confusing and frustrating and it is not simple to her as it is quite debilitating and life changing. Her heart structure is normal and all blood tests were normal (including thyroid). I am not sure about allergies as she is allergic to grass (like most people) she has had rashes in the past (i think possibly plants from garden but don't really know). She is quite sensitive to insect bites. Any advice is really appreciated. Thanks

Closed Thread