It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2012, 03:04 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ol'Line Rebel HB UserOl'Line Rebel HB User
Sudden rise in weight, blood pressure

Hi all, my husband has experienced quite a gain in weight and worse, blood pressure since (he thinks) about Thanksgiving.

I was shocked to recently find out about this. Now, he was already struggling around 310 lbs before that, for some time. I come to find out he has "lost" weight down to 323! So, he gained maybe some 20 lbs.

Worse than this is the BP. He has always had some trouble with "pre-hypertension", but sometimes we even had him in the 120s (sys), so it seemed OK.

Now, since Christmas (doctor physical), he's started low 140s and has steadily risen to today's 152!

This is scaring the bejeebers out of me. Our whole local family is having more than enough health issues. We don't need any more crises.

Other than that, he doesn't seem to have too many issues.

He is taking Synthroid for some hypothyroidism - few years.

Before TG he was put on Protonix (long story - ENT thinks it's reflux and not any infection which is another story from me).

Obviously 1 wonders if he just gained so much weight from the holidays - but the BP is what really concerns me.

I have wondered about Cushing's Syndrome - he seems to have that characteristic fat (increasingly, obviously).

Any other ideas?

Old 01-15-2012, 09:04 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
Re: Sudden rise in weight, blood pressure

When someone consumes more calories per meal, or per day, than their body can safely handle, over time it causes increasingly unhealthy problems for the metabolism.

Each of us is different, so whether or not a bad diet causes someone to suffer from high blood pressure, or thyroid problems, or diabetic problems, or vision problems, or nerve problems, or heart problems, or fatigue, or concentration problems, or headaches, etc.. is based on the individual and that person's environment and lifestyle.

How much exercise does hubby do every day?

⇒ Eliminate household items that are toxic!
⇒ Balanced, healthy, low glycemic diet
⇒ Lots of Exercise
⇒ Avoid night allergens, toxins
⇒ Coreg!

Last edited by Machaon; 01-15-2012 at 09:06 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-16-2012, 07:39 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Basically DH has been running/walking for years. He has tapered off recently because we had no treadmill for 8 mos (long story of basement floodings). He would work out at the company gym including sometimes on the treadmill. Besides the fact we lost our treadmill, in the summer we were both seemingly struck by mysterious illnesses which made us cough, etc. It was so bad he could not do any aerobic stuff. Bottom line for him (not for me), ENT said he seems to have acid reflux, put him on the Protonix, and that helped. He's since gone back to his old regimen of more or less every other day running some, and walking, as well as weights. He usually ends the walk/run with crunches for a while.

I tell him again and again, I don't think it's the exercise - I think you need to quit eating whole pizzas and whole bags of chips/pretzels at 1 time (I am glad football season is over - his excuse for a whole pizza, then bags of chips). The excercise is fine, but DH needs to be serious about dieting, even if it's just smaller portions for starters.

Old 01-17-2012, 09:19 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol'Line Rebel View Post
The excercise is fine, but DH needs to be serious about dieting, even if it's just smaller portions for starters.
Many think that being overweight, even slightly overweight, is just a weight problem, that it really can't be that harmful. However, it is not the excess weight that does the damage to one's health, it is the messed up and dysfunctional metabolism that causes health problems over time.

After a while, the dysfunctional metabolism can cause indigestion, then problems sleeping, then higher blood pressure, then headaches, then problems with the thyroid, then problems with the pancreas, then swelling in the legs, feet and ankles, etc.

It soooooo very difficult to cut down on eating because eating is so enjoyable! With all of the pressures and stress and demands upon us, it's nice to be able to reward ourselves with our favorite foods.

OTOH..... Sorry to hear about your basement flooding. There are enough problems in this world without having to cope with something like that!

Best of luck and health!

⇒ Lots of Exercise
⇒ Coreg!

Old 01-18-2012, 06:40 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Another note to tack on:

DH had an echocardiogram last week, and doctor's office kept trying to call him today about it. That in itself concerned me. DH told me they said something about something looking enlarged. I'm scared thinking, "enlarged heart????!!" They want him to take a stress test (hasn't done this for a few years).

So now, I'm almost terrified.

Old 01-19-2012, 03:09 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol'Line Rebel View Post
... DH told me they said something about something looking enlarged. I'm scared thinking, "enlarged heart????!!"
For me, having Heart Failure (enlarged heart), permanent Atrial Fibrillation and Diabetes 2 was good news and bad news. The bad news was that these are nasty health problems that can get much worse. The good news is that these health problems can be reversed, or at least contained, through appropriate diet, exercise, the most effective medications and avoiding things that further stress out the heart and the metabolism.

⇒ Lots of Exercise
⇒ Coreg!

Closed Thread