It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2012, 10:50 PM   #1
(male)

WakeyRaces HB User
Mild Aortic Stenosis...!!!!!!!!

Hi, last March 2011 i was diagnosed with Mild Aortic stenosis, Started off with ectopic heartbeats and was sent to the hospital for a 24hr heart monitor.. and ultra sound.. They also found a mummur loudest in the aortic area....
They said no medical intervension at the moment........

Good ventricular systolic and dialistolic fuction ......

Im kinda worried about the thought of a operation to replace the aortic valve...

Plus at times i get a few pains in my chest, not sure if its my heart or my lungs... Recently had a chest infection, thats still there a bit.............

Was told to give up smoking, but im still smoking.. Finding that hard to give up....

What sort of things will they do to me to find out more about my aortic stenosis.... Im very anxious about the thought of a angiogram.....

Old 01-27-2012, 08:57 PM   #2
(female)

jennski HB User
Re: Mild Aortic Stenosis...!!!!!!!!

I was born with a bicuspid aortic valve and had open heart surgery last June and they replaced my aortic valve with a mechanical one...I too was very anxious about having an angiogram but when I got to the hospital the worst part of it was the trouble the nurse had starting my iv....trust me....the angiogram is a piece of cake....I lived with my diagnosis for 5 years until I had my surgery and I see they have decided no medical intervention for you at the moment....the more symptoms you experience and the more intense your symptoms become will be their indication when you will have your surgery...i hope you stay well

Last edited by moderator2; 01-28-2012 at 06:40 AM. Reason: please do not post a commercial website, for any reason.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-30-2012, 12:16 PM   #3
(male)

WakeyRaces HB User

So do i hope i stay well..... My Doctor says he has known people with Aortic stenosis stay at the same level.. So im hoping mines dosnt get any worse...... Im glad yours has been a success..... I suppose you will be on anti-cologenes for the rest of your life...ie;warfrin...
Better that than having a pig valve and lasting for 15 years then having to have it all done again.... What was it like when you woke up from the operation after ya had the valve replaced.... did you have a breathing machine doing your breathing when you woke up........? And how long was it before you went home and was able to get about......?

Old 01-30-2012, 12:17 PM   #4
(male)

WakeyRaces HB User

So do i hope i stay well..... My Doctor says he has known people with Aortic stenosis stay at the same level.. So im hoping mines dosnt get any worse...... Im glad yours has been a success..... I suppose you will be on anti-cologenes for the rest of your life...ie;warfrin...
Better that than having a pig valve and lasting for 15 years then having to have it all done again.... What was it like when you woke up from the operation after ya had the valve replaced.... did you have a breathing machine doing your breathing when you woke up........? And how long was it before you went home and was able to get about......?

Old 01-31-2012, 05:19 AM   #5
(male)

Jimmysyd HB UserJimmysyd HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by WakeyRaces View Post
What was it like when you woke up from the operation after ya had the valve replaced.... did you have a breathing machine doing your breathing when you woke up........? And how long was it before you went home and was able to get about......?
If we are talking about a simple valve replacement, I knew someone who had one and was home the next day after a short amount of monitoring.

My mother 20 years ago had a quadruple bypass and woke up under her own breath, no machine, and was home after 4 days.

So I don't think you will require a ventilator, that is usually used for life support.

Old 02-13-2012, 06:16 PM   #6
(female)

CherokeeGirl HB User

I had the Ross procedure done in 2001 to replace my congenital bicuspid aortic valve. I've known since I was 16 that I had the problem, and a doc told my parent's that it probably would never get worse. It was mild at that time. So...I grew up, went into the Army (you couldn't even hardly hear the murmur at that time), married, and had 5 children. In 2001 at the age of 35, I became symptomatic. Like, I would get winded easily, and I had pain in my chest...shooting, intense pain that would only last seconds, but bring me to my knees kind of pain. I had it checked out, and found out that I was in serious need of surgery. Because I am a woman and only 35 at the time, active and healthy otherwise, I decided on the Ross procedure. I have a human cadaver valve, and take no coumadin at all, in fact, no meds for my heart. It was a more intense surgery, and I was in the hospital for about 5 days back then. I was on heart/lung bypass for about 6 hours. Yes, I woke up with the respirator...and was aware of the ventilator for about 12 hours after waking up. But you are so out of it back in ICU/CCU, you don't notice it much as you are coming off the anesthesia. The only bad thing is the burn from the dry mouth and throat. There are swabs for that the nurses will use for that.
Let me say this: What I wasn't told, and should have been, is that any extra stress you put upon your heart, whether through intense exercise, pregnancies, smoking, or just aging itself, is cumulative. Which means over time, you can make the surgery happen faster or put it off a bit longer by lifestyle choices. This isn't always the case, but enough of it is that you can give yourself a bit of control over it to an extent.
I am now 11 years post op, and doing fine. I'm hoping to hit the twenty year mark before having to do anything else with the valve. I had one doc tell me I might never have to have it redone. Chances are I will.
Whatever happens, I wish you luck. And the changes since I had mine done! Everyday advances are made, making the whole process much easier and outcomes better.

Closed Thread