It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2012, 11:17 AM   #1
(male)

FlippityDooDa HB User
Question Heart Skipping Beat - Problem?

Hello, all!

Alright, for a couple of years or so, I have noticed that occasionally I will feel my heart skip a beat and I will get this weird feeling in my chest. Now, this hasn't happened for a month or two, and when it does happen it only usually happens once every couple of weeks (there was a week or so a while back that it happened two or three times a day for a few days).

Another potentially related thing isthat every couple of weeks or so, after I have been sitting down for a while, when I stand up my vision starts to get snowy (not sure how to describe it... It feels like what I would I would imagine it would feel like to pass out. I've never passed out, so that part is speculation), but nothing has ever happened to me when this has happened, so I just start walking to wherever I was headed. I'm not in very good shape right now, so this may be the cause.

Now, the reason I am somewhat concerned about these is that I am considering joining the military in the next year or two (might give myself a year in college to mature more before deciding), and am concerned that these may affect my elegibility of joining (I also have TMJ, but am not focusing on that right now, as it is a slight case, and I believe I can get a waiver for that). Another issue that raises some concern is the fact that there have been a couple of cases of heart disease on one side of my family.

Now, I have done a little reading to see what this is, and I have read that it could be something called a PVC... However, the cases I have read about are far more consistent and the attacks far more common than mine, so I am wondering if it is different.

Thank you for your time!

Last edited by FlippityDooDa; 01-21-2012 at 11:19 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-21-2012, 09:57 PM   #2
(male)

Jimmysyd HB UserJimmysyd HB User
Re: Heart Skipping Beat - Problem?

Skipped beats are common, Whether it's one a day or thousands. Harmless, only ever dangerous with people who have some type of heart problem. (Even then they are usually harmless) Most people with these issues do not any heart issues whatsoever.

If you are worried see your GP, get some tests done, maybe via referral to a cardiologist

ECG, Echo, 24hr Holter Monitor, etc.

Sounds like a normal thing you are having. PVC's or Ectopic beats, etc.

I would not worry. I get over a thousand a day ATM.

Cut back any stress and coffee or soft drinks, etc.

you will be right.

Last edited by Jimmysyd; 01-21-2012 at 10:04 PM.

Old 01-22-2012, 12:31 AM   #3
(male)

FlippityDooDa HB User

Alright thanks for the response! That definitely sets my mind more at ease... I don't drink caffinated beverages, and mainly drink uncaffinated sodas on road trips (in other words, rarely). As for cutting down on stress, my main stressor is school, but don't think I can cut down on that

Alright, so if I do decide to get an examination if these get worse, what are the risks? Like, my mom didn't want to have her heart checked out for the longest time because she didn't want insurance companies finding out (or something along those lines... I may not be remembering entirely correctly, but it sounded like bad things could happen if she had a checkup).

Old 01-22-2012, 02:04 AM   #4
(male)

Jimmysyd HB UserJimmysyd HB User

There are no risks for examinations

ECG - Painless, a few leads stuck to your chest, takes about 1 minute

Echo - Ultrasound of the heart, checks for heart size, valves are working fine, and also blood flow. etc. great test for picking up heart issues.

24hr Holter Monitor, similar to what happens with an ECG. You have a device you carry around with you with leads on your chest, which records all heart rhythms for 24hrs. it will show any abnormal rhythms.

X-Ray - My Cardiologist does not think x-rays help as they are so suggestive and diagnosis can be so wrong when it comes to looking at the heart. It helps but Echo is more definitive.

Blood tests - Stock standard blood test covering many things, especially thyroids, as overactive thyroids can cause many a issues with heart beats.

I have no idea about risks when talking about insurance, I have little to know idea about your health system. Our national medicare system covered all my tests I mentioned above, even though I have private cover.

But there are no risks in the tests above, and the only thing that enters your body is a needle when taking blood tests.

I went through all those tests and got my results only three days ago with a clean bill of health on my heart. Does not stop my palpitations, stress and irregular beats BUT I am improving. I am told to relax and not notice them so much and go on with life. As stress sets mine off like wild fire.

Closed Thread