It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2012, 01:43 PM   #1
(male)

fundip HB User
Non-sustained ventricular tachycardia

I had been having palpitations for a couple years and had a battery of tests done and everything was normal. Recently, I did another 48-hour holter and this showed up:

"There were 2 short non-sustained runs of ventricular tachycardia, the longest being 6 beats in duration at a heart rate of 142 BPM.".

It also said "rare atrial premature beats".

What exactly does this mean, and is it dangerous? I'm more concerned about the ventricular tachycardia.

Last edited by fundip; 02-03-2012 at 02:04 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-03-2012, 02:50 PM   #2
(male)

fundip HB User
Re: Non-sustained ventricular tachycardia

The rest of the info. on the holter report was normal and said this:

-Normal sinus rhythm with heart rates between 44-119 BPM and an average heart rate of 69 BPM
-No ventricular premature beats
-No supraventricular tachycardia
-No pauses. No significat ST depression

Last edited by fundip; 02-03-2012 at 02:51 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-03-2012, 03:07 PM   #3
(female)

deremith HB User

Probably means you had several PVCs in a row, I just had a run of v tach the other day, 15 beats rate of 120 I think.

Old 02-03-2012, 03:10 PM   #4
(male)

fundip HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by deremith View Post
Probably means you had several PVCs in a row, I just had a run of v tach the other day, 15 beats rate of 120 I think.
So what does that mean? Is it dangerous? I googled it, and it said ventricular tachycardia causes sudden death.

Old 02-03-2012, 03:17 PM   #5
(female)

deremith HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundip View Post
So what does that mean? Is it dangerous? I googled it, and it said ventricular tachycardia causes sudden death.
It can be dangerous, but its more dangerous if its sustained, like where you need drugs or electricity to stop it.

My Doctor didn't like mine so I'm getting the ablation next week!

Old 02-03-2012, 03:19 PM   #6
(female)

JoannaMV HB User

Yes, ventricular tachycardia can be dangerous, doctors told my husband and I it can cause sudden cardiac arrest. I would ask your doctor for a complete explanation of the report, and if you are seeing a cardiologist you might want to also consult with an electrophysiologist - the subspecialty of cardiology that deals specifically with heart rhythms, to see how dangerous they feel this is. Ask your questions and make sure you get answers.

Old 02-03-2012, 03:22 PM   #7
(male)

fundip HB User

Quote:
It can be dangerous, but its more dangerous if its sustained, like where you need drugs or electricity to stop it.

My Doctor didn't like mine so I'm getting the ablation next week!
How often does it happen to you? Did you go from nonsustained to sustained?

Old 02-03-2012, 06:46 PM   #8
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

Hi a video clip several years ago showed a history of a fellow who had a heart problem after eating fries, burgers and a shake! The lab technician showed a picture of the test tube full of all this extra fat clinging to the sides and floating to the top of the blood taken out of the patient! Evidently the high fats and sugars collected in the arteries of the heart for a problem. In my opinion it would pay most likely to pay close attention to dietary and good exercise habits such as a brisk walk every day after meals to tolerance.

Old 02-03-2012, 06:56 PM   #9
(female)

deremith HB User

Quote:
How often does it happen to you? Did you go from nonsustained to sustained?
It used to be almost everyday until they put me on Metoprolol in October, but over the last 2 months its coming back maybe every other day. I wore a holter last Thursday, while at work (I'm a Paramedic). It was a stressful night, I noticed palpitations but ignored it, no passing out. The monitor only worked for 2 hrs and I had runs of v tach then a third degree block. Going up stairs kills me. Its strange because I'm super fit...but I know, its an electrical problem. Met the electrophysiologist today and he's thinking Wolff-Parkinson-White Syndrome.

Old 02-03-2012, 06:58 PM   #10
(female)

deremith HB User

I eat extremely healthy, exercise frequently, and am not overweight.

Old 02-06-2012, 09:18 AM   #11
(male)

fundip HB User

Quote:
I eat extremely healthy, exercise frequently, and am not overweight.
Same with me. I play squash and tennis 3 times a week, eat very healthy, don't drink or smoke, and have a lean body.

It's the strangest thing. No family history of heart disease, normal echo and stress. Not sure what to do at this point, don't want to drop dead.

Old 02-06-2012, 09:56 AM   #12
(female)

deremith HB User

Quote:
Same with me. I play squash and tennis 3 times a week, eat very healthy, don't drink or smoke, and have a lean body.

It's the strangest thing. No family history of heart disease, normal echo and stress. Not sure what to do at this point, don't want to drop dead.
Ablation! I'm getting it this Wednesday morning. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Old 02-06-2012, 09:58 AM   #13
(male)

fundip HB User

Quote:
Ablation! I'm getting it this Wednesday morning. I'll let you guys know how it goes.
So you would recommend an ablation even though my heart is otherwise healthy and even though it is nonsustained instead of sustained?

Old 02-06-2012, 08:21 PM   #14
(female)

deremith HB User

Quote:
So you would recommend an ablation even though my heart is otherwise healthy and even though it is nonsustained instead of sustained?
Do what your doctor feels is best for you.

Old 02-07-2012, 12:29 PM   #15
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

Hi I think one should make their own decisions about health care. One can educate themselves about the care of the body.There was a woman on the boards who had another health problem and had 4 operations on one of her parts and still ended up with major problems with her body. In my mind they stole her money, stole her comfort and did not fix it for all the money spent. In the heart, itself life itself is at risk, what if the doctors hand slips a bit and launches one into eternity. Of course with some people there is a dire need to fix it because if it is not fixed one can die that way too. Good health habits and staying away from things one is allergic to or bad substances might be useful to many a person with arrythmias of various types. In my opinion if a doctor is needed more than one should be consulted just in case the first one has a dire need to help his malpractice insurance bill.

Closed Thread