It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2012, 12:15 AM   #1
(male)

bay7000 HB User
Chest tightness, constricted breathing, strong pounding palpitations day to night.

Primary Root Symptom: morning onset of non-sharp, dull, vague, uncomfortable, achey, centered chest tightness. I feel it around below sternum as well. Short of breath,
airways feel tighter, breathing is more labored. I am more winded with everyday activities, and cardio and exercise are a lot more tougher to peform with
the constricted airways.

Physical Attributes:
30 years old, single male
Parents are healthy, with no coronary disease/high blood pressure
5-6 height
before chest tightnesss 170lbs. currently 149lbs (loss 20 lbs in a month)
do not smoke
drink on occasion once every 2-3 weeks before chest tightness. Do not currently drink alcohol.
don't drink caffeine.
blood pressure was normal before chest tightness - its currently 10-15pts higher ie: 130/88
exercising, and running does not bring sharp pains to the chest, but it makes blood pressure go
up and brings upon shortness of breath due to tightness.
i can do aerobic exercise, but its uncomfortable due to tightness, and i dont
have the same strength as i did before the chest tightness.
sometimes would take naps 2-3 hrs after eating a meal, wake up and start using the computer late at night, and then go back to bed (before chest tightness)
Very minimal and rare heartburn, reflux...once every few weeks depending on diet.. after eating chocolate, fried foods etc, foods high in oil/fat content.
i dont burp, regurgitate food, or have pain in the throat. no constipation or loose stools are rare (only if i eat bad mexican food, bad fast food)

Post-tight chest Symptoms (brought on by tight chest, also made worse by some medications ie: atenolol, prilosec)

- anxiety
- night time palpitations
- body aches (shoulder, neck, below left pectoralis)
- hip pain
- head ache/pressure on side of head
- cold feet legs
- increased high blood pressure off and on.
- constant urination.
- heavy palpitation at night..body pulsates to heart beat.
- waking up many times at night to racing palpitation. 3:30, 4:30am, 5:30am
- muscle spasm
- short of breath, feel like im not getting enough oxygen
- heavy head
- head ache
- tight jaw
- tender scalp
- tight calves
- fatique
- dizzy head
- cold body
- groggy
- loss of extra weight
- hard to gain weight
- persistent muscle tension
- legs take longer to heal after working out
- left side chest pain from heart beating to hard from tightness.
- working out increases soreness in the heart area due to excessive beating/ high heart rate.
- get winded easily from everyday activies ie: exercise, jogging.

Previous Medical History-
- nasal congestion
- scoliotic neck, with convexity leftward centered about c4-5
- dessicated disk c5-6, with mild annular prminence with only minimal flattening of the csf. some mild left neural foraminal
stenosis.
- weakness in left arm from neck pain
- neck pain, has been off and on, but usually not to severe unless i play basketball, or exercise stenously, or aggravte it by turning my
neck to much..ie: looking behind shoulder while driving.

tests i took:
bloodwork - fine
EKGx3 - fine
Chest Xray - fine
Stress Test - fine, no irregular heartbeats, but fast ones.

im male, 30, 5-6, and 150lbs. i was pretty active(played basketball, and run, lift weights), and healthy guy before this onset, occasionally i would eat a lot, but i would balance my diet. i did have a habit of taking a nap before my actual real sleep at night. and have a habit of eating dinners late, around 8:30 or 9:00pm

Long story short, few months ago 12-15-11 I woke up one morning with some tight heavy discomfort in my chest area. I tried to see if it would go away if I did some running, but it was made worse.
Later on in the evening I went to the ER to get checked out as I was out of breath. While in the ER, they did ekg, bloodwork, blood pressure, and the chest xray came out fine.

they gave me ativan and diagnosed me with anxiety, the anxiety was there, i dont believe the chest tightness was caused by anxiety though. it felt like tightness brought on by something else. im not sure how i got the tightness of the chest, maybe from straining the internal chest muscles somehow/or over breathing or maybe reflux hitting the lower esophagus tightening the airways that happened in my sleep or when i was in bed.

so weeks later the symptoms did not improve so i went to the doc and he told me to try prilosec. I tried the OTC Omeprazole for a few weeks and had noticed some side-effects. i also did not see improvement)and stopped after two weeks. So lately i have been eating lite, and cutting out the heartburn/reflux inducing foods..so i dont get reflux much and have been eating healthy losing 20lbs. but my chest tightness was still there.

Before taking the prilosec i was slowly developing inability to sleep and started getting heavy night time palps. i experience rapid fast heart palpitations when i wake up at night to use the restroom. this palps would continue on into the morning.

fast forward, i go back to the doctor again few weeks ago feeling like my heart was going to pop he says i have high blood pressure based on the in-office blood pressure 150/100 (very anxious in the office) he did blood work, and he checked my thyroid and it was fine.

so he prescribes me atenolol. i tried it off and on to see how my body reacts to it, it helped to slow my heart rate but the side effects made me
feel terrible. I took the atenolol at night at 10pm and felt my heart rate slow down, but i can still feel my heart thumping, and stomach growling,
it makes my sleep pattern even worse. i feel worse the next day.
giving me these symptoms - groggy, muscle weakness, ringing in the ear, some joint pain, depression, fatigue, lethargy, made my chest heavy, gave me shortness of breath. after a week of using it, i have decided to quit cold turkey. So the Atenolol did not help relieve my chest tightness.

I have found a few ways to control my blood pressure, i have been eating healthy, ie: wholegrains, veggies, nuts, fruits, apple cider vinegar, taking fish oils, magnesium, drinking tea. I got it to drop down a bit, 120/85 at night. they would calm down a bit, however tightness is still there around the chest areas.

I already took some tests to help me to believe that it is not my heart, and in my mind i feel like it can be something brought on by possibly reflux or something physically inside/or heart. I still don't know for sure it's cornary related, mvp, GERD, asthma, chest infection/strain, stress, coupled with anxiety.

And im sure all the other symptoms i am experiencing afterwards are a result of my anxiety making things worse. So it's my goal to get to the root cause, so I dont have to keep worrying. At this point im trying to be comfortable with my symptom and learn to handle and relieve them.

I hope that someone has experienced the same thing so i can find a way to recover. What other tests can I do to help figure out what this is? anyone have any ideas? has anyone experienced this? im trying to find ways to relieve the chest tightness, it doesn't seem to be getting any better, and nothing relieves it, ativan (slightly), not atenolol, not prilosec.

if anyone can help with this, it would be greatly appreciated.

thanks for taking the time to read this long post. imm just trying to be detailed as possible.

The Following User Says Thank You to bay7000 For This Useful Post:
rawhide1 (02-20-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-18-2012, 08:17 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
Re: Chest tightness, constricted breathing, strong pounding palpitations day to night

Quote:
Originally Posted by bay7000 View Post
Primary Root Symptom: morning onset of non-sharp, dull, vague, uncomfortable, achey, centered chest tightness. I feel it around below sternum as well. Short of breath,
airways feel tighter, breathing is more labored. I am more winded with everyday activities, and cardio and exercise are a lot more tougher to peform with
the constricted airways.
First, let me say that you have provided considerable detail about your health problems. Hopefully, your efforts in describing your problems will lead you to some improvement.

I've had some of the same problems as you, especially the chest tightness and the heartbeat irregularities, especially the ones at night time.

I'll post some of the causes and solutions to my problems. Perhaps something that helped me can help you also?

I've suffered from a tight chest, especially at night, if I consumed too many carbohydrates during the day, or ate carbohydrates too late at night.

I've suffered from a tight chest if I over-exerted my heart. (I've got heart failure, so this probably has nothing to do with your problems.).

I've suffered from a tight chest and/or heartbeat irregularities , as a result of allergens or irritants (from my asthma and allergies).

The bed is the worst place for allergies. Someone who is allergic and/or asthmatic can suffer from breathing problems and heartbeat irregularities from lying in their bed.

I've suffered from breathing problems and heartbeat irregularities when I lay, anywhere, flat on either my left side or my right side (causes fluid to build up around my heart - pericardial effusion).

I've suffered from a tight chest if I've consumed too much potassium during the day (interaction with my meds).

I've suffered from a tight chest and heartbeat irregularities if I've consumed too much sodium/salt during the day.

I've especially had serious problems with a tight chest and heartbeat irregularities if I've encountered Volatile Organic Compounds VOCs, like Formaldehyde.

I've suffered from breathing problems and heartbeat irregularities if I've gone outside during a high pollen day. I make sure that I shower at night in order to wash off any pollen or irritants from that day's activities.

The normal body metabolism, which changes hormone levels at night to shut down and cause sleep, results in increased problems for people with allergies/Asthma or a sensitive heart. (Ref: Circadian Rhythm).

I'm sure there are other things too, but, at my age, with my fading memory, this is the best I can do!

Sorry I can't be of more direct help, but perhaps something that worked for me might give you some ideas?

Best of health and luck!

⇒ Eliminate household items that are toxic!
⇒ Balanced, healthy, low glycemic diet
⇒ Lots of Exercise
⇒ Avoid night allergens, toxins
⇒ Coreg!

The Following User Says Thank You to Machaon For This Useful Post:
bay7000 (02-20-2012)
Old 02-20-2012, 10:01 AM   #3
(male)

bay7000 HB User
Re: Chest tightness, constricted breathing, strong pounding palpitations day to night

thanks for taking the time to respond to my post.

yes, i do have allergies, and i have nasal congestion. not sure if it's the cause of the tightness in the chest body. my allergies are pretty mild, but my sinuses are sensitive.

my nasal congestion was pretty bad last night, i couldnt breath freely.
sometimes it just clears itself a bit in the morning, but there still is some stuffyness.

im also very sensitive to strong perfumes, and chemicals. but im not sure if that is the cause, as my room has no strong odor, but i know but there could be dust etc. but even then, they didnt really cause that much tightness before then.

"The normal body metabolism, which changes hormone levels at night to shut down and cause sleep, results in increased problems for people with allergies/Asthma or a sensitive heart."

lately, my metabolism has been high at night due to the tightness,
and i can feel the pounding of my heart which makes it hard to fall asleep. i get up about 4x a night, to use the restroom. i know im thinking too much.

do you take any medications for your allergies?
so if carbs give you a tight chest, do you have a no-carb diet that you follow?

for me, i would like to think reflux may have a role in tightening up my airways or something, but still not 100% sure. i have been eating healthy and trying to cut out bad stuff, i have lost many lbs already, but still have some tightness. it seemed to have spread outwards now to my back a bit now.

thanks again for the useful post, i will just have to keep paying attention to my diet, my habits, symptoms and continue to make lifestyle changes until i get better.

Last edited by bay7000; 02-20-2012 at 10:03 AM.

Old 02-26-2012, 02:36 AM   #4
(male)

yobyo1 HB User

Ever had a broken nose or anything? Could be a deviated septum and you're suffering from low blood oxygen when your nose gets clogged.

Old 02-27-2012, 12:23 AM   #5
(male)

bay7000 HB User

havent broken my nose, but a while ago one allergy doctor told me that i had a deviated septum or something. ive had that for a while now and it hasnt really bothered me that much, and i dont understand how that can cause a tightness in the chest.

Old 02-27-2012, 07:35 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
thanks for taking the time to respond to my post.

yes, i do have allergies, and i have nasal congestion. not sure if it's the cause of the tightness in the chest body. my allergies are pretty mild, but my sinuses are sensitive.

my nasal congestion was pretty bad last night, i couldnt breath freely.
sometimes it just clears itself a bit in the morning, but there still is some stuffyness.
I am confused. You say that you have "pretty mild" allergies, but then you say "my nasal congestion was pretty bad last night".

What type of symptoms would you consider strong allergy reactions?

Quote:
im also very sensitive to strong perfumes, and chemicals. but im not sure if that is the cause, as my room has no strong odor, but i know but there could be dust etc. but even then, they didnt really cause that much tightness before then.
What happens to you when you encounter strong perfumes and chemicals?

Regarding anxiety and heart pounding and a tight chest... When your body reacts to an allergic attack (an allergen or an irritant or an odor or an off-gas, etc), your body starts pumping out "protective" hormones, especially from your adrenals. These hormones are supposed to raise the blood pressure, and also increase the heart rate, putting your body in a stronger, more powerful state to protect itself from these attacks! Unfortunately, for some of us, our hearts react badly to these "protective" hormones and instead of beating faster effectively, our hearts beat faster erratically.

Most blood pressure medications, or heart rate medications, attempt to block or inhibit the over-activity of the adrenals.

Also..... for us unfortunate, very sensitive allergy sufferers, the pumping of these "protective" hormones continues far too long, over-saturates our systems, causes long lasting high blood pressure, erratic heart-rates; and can make us feel very sick.

The bed is the WORST place for those with allergies!

⇒ Eliminate household items that are toxic!
⇒ Balanced, healthy, low glycemic diet
⇒ Lots of Exercise
⇒ Avoid night allergens, toxins
⇒ Coreg!

Last edited by Machaon; 02-27-2012 at 07:43 AM.

Old 02-27-2012, 04:05 PM   #7
(male)

yobyo1 HB User

Quote:
havent broken my nose, but a while ago one allergy doctor told me that i had a deviated septum or something. ive had that for a while now and it hasnt really bothered me that much, and i dont understand how that can cause a tightness in the chest.
If you have a deviated septum, you've either broken your nose before without knowing it or you could have been born with it. The best way to see if it's effecting your breathing is to close one nostril with your finger and then breathe in through your nose. If the deviated septum is effecting your breathing, one nostril won't be able to pull much air through it.

If I were you, I'd go to the doctor and get him to test my oxygen levels. The longer your body goes having low oxygen levels, the more complications you're going to develop.

Old 12-02-2012, 09:31 AM   #8
(male)

savvola HB User

hi bay7000 i am suffering with the same problem that you have posted how did you overcome your chest pain and shortness of breath an sleeplessness,any advice would be greatly appreciated.Did u try breathing excercises,is it becuase of improper breathing due to stress and anxiety,i was asked to do abdomen breathing training

Old 03-12-2013, 03:17 AM   #9
(male)

driftma HB User

Hey so did you ever find out what was wrong? I'm a 45 yr old runner on amlodipine for blood pressure. On Jan 1st after a few drinks the night before and 33 mg Imitrex ( for migraine), I felt my heart start pounding with the same symptoms as you. Trouble sleeping, elevated BP (160/110), pains on the left side in my chest and neck. My normal pulse rate was around 50 from the running but this day and for weeks later it jumped to 65, plus my BP stayed elevated.
Went to the ER on Jan 3rd like you and they did a chest X-ray, bloodwork, ECG, but found nothing but slightly elevated BP.
Finally got in to see a cardiologist on Feb 1 who diagnosed me w viral Pericarditis and put me on lots of ibuprofen 600 mg 3 times a day. It immediately took most of the pain away but BP and pulse still elevated, especially at night. Had an echocardiogram done on Feb 17th but was negative for Pericarditis as was bloodwork. Been experimenting with propanolol and trying to slowly start running again. Stress test this Friday, but not nuclear. I'm concerned they still won't see any blockages if they're there. Still on 200-400mg ibuprofen 4 times/ day but doc wants me to wean off. It's currently my "crutch",

Last edited by driftma; 03-12-2013 at 03:19 AM.

Reply Reply