It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2012, 11:26 AM   #1
(female)

LadyWriter1968 HB User
Wisdom tooth removal at Guys hospital

Hi I have a question, has anyone had their wisdom tooth removed recently at guys hospital?

I saw a dentist and he has sent a referal off to Guys for me as my wisdom tooth is under the gum and in awkward place so he said I would be better off having it done at guys, I had the others out years ago at a dentist, my last I was put under IV sedation I think its called which suited me as I am very nervous and know its very painful if you are awake anyway, as my first one I was awake and in the dentist chair hour and half and I collapsed when I came out, never again.

I have a bottom one to come out and dentist said it could be causing infection thats why the pain.

My questions are this?

From the dentist letter, how long will I wait before my first appointment at the hospital for this?

How long after that will I wait again until I actually have it out?

I do hope its not a situation where you go for this and that apppointment at hospitals where it ends up getting dragged out all the time, you know what I mean, when you think, are they ever going to do this or just talk about it, seeing this consultant and that consultant.

Any info useful?

Plus I am going to request they put me out to as I cant be awake going thru all that pain again,

I do have hypertension and thyroid disease which is controlled my meds, I hope this wont put them off sedating me, especially the hypertention, I mean, lets be honest here, its not them going thru it all is it really. The pain of having the thing pulled out.

Because my tooth is under the gum not even come thru at all, could only see it on Xray and its right next to my other normal tooth as well.

I guess the proper question would be, what is the entire precedure from when hospital receive letter from dentist there after?

Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-21-2012, 03:13 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User
Re: Wisdom tooth removal at Guys hospital

Hi well the truth is I have not visited the guys Hospital but because I had 4 wisdom teeth removed at the same time I can tell you what happened. They put an I.V. and probably asked me to count which I probably disobeyed! I think they put a rubber thing against my neck and jaw to keep the head propped up in the proper position. Then things started getting dark and the next thing I knew someone was trying hard to wake me up enough to get up and out of the chair and my head felt heavy and I felt real tired and just wanted to sleep instead of getting up and out of the chair and it took two people on both sides of me to try to walk me out of the chair with me staggering like a drunk until they could get me to a side bench to half lay and half sit until more awake.

Then I started feeling more pain as I awakened on my lower jaw mostly because the teeth were laying completely sideways under the gum and completely perpendicular to the other teeth instead of standing. He said he had to break one of them or both of them under there to get them out if I remember, I just can't remember if 2 were broken or one but both of the bottom ones hurt and one hurt more than the other. The top ones hurt a bit at first but not as long as the bottom ones and were a lot easier to deal with. The one that had hurt the most was also the last one to quit hurting. I had taken a few doses of pain medicine in the beginning but quit taking it long before the pain was gone. I believe because of side effects.

I used an oral syringe the oral surgeon gave me and used it to was out the holes as he said. I kept it immaculately clean to avoid infection. He said the gum would eventually grow back over it and when it did then I could quit, if I remember. Now they talk about dry socket problems but that fortunately did not happen to me. I did do one subsequent visit to him afterward and He was surprised how clean it was. I was eager to avoid infection.

Sometimes of course if certain strep infections occur they say the bacteria can end up on the heart valves and cause problems later. Antibiotics taken afterward may cause yeasts.

If the wisdom tooth is not causing any infections or problems it might good left alone. If there are problems, then that might be another story. My bottom ones sometimes got somewhat infected before I had them out. My dentist told me it would be good to have them all out so that when I became an old lady the back teeth that are harder to brush would not be riddled with holes and pain when too old to tolerate anesthesia well.

Last edited by sjb; 03-21-2012 at 03:22 PM. Reason: important additions made

Closed Thread

Tags
iv sedation, procedure, wisdom teeth