It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2012, 04:46 PM   #1
(female)

jana65 HB User
Flunked the stress test... Off Atenolol prior ?

Ok, Im going to try and rework this because I had no responses.

During my annual exam, I had an " abnormal " stress test. I was told to come back for an exercise stress test and to NOT take my Atenolol for 2 days prior to the stress test. I had only been on the treadmill for a few minutes when I was taken off because of a high heart rate...150 bpm. I was given adenosine and taken to the hospital and the next day I had a heart cath. Results were: No stent but I do have " moderate " disease with good blood flow. The cardiologist changed me from Atenolol 25 mg to Toprol 50 mg.
Has anyone out there has this kind of experience coming off Atenolol abruptly like that ??? They said I was in A-Fib and flutter but later at hospital went back to Sinus rhythm on my own.
I never missed my HBP meds and coming off the beta blocker really did a number on me.[/B]Anyone ???

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-25-2012, 06:24 PM   #2
(female)

MrsPM HB User
Re: Flunked the stress test... Off Atenolol prior ?

I never had an experience like yours, however, I heard that when you stop a beta blocker suddenly you can have pretty bad tachycardia. Maybe if they gradually decreased your dosage prior to the stress test, and then put you back on the meds afterwards, you would have been alright. Like you, I take my beta blocker (Inderal LA) everyday. I just had my follow up appointment with my cardiologist and he suggested that I take a pill every other day to see how I do, and if I do well then I can stop taking the meds. After what you posted, I'm really scared to do this. I hope the Toprol works well for you and that you stay in normal rhythm!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-25-2012, 07:00 PM   #3
(female)

jana65 HB User

I didn't mention that I do lots of gardening and bike riding and have NEVER had a fast heartbeat like that during routine exercise...I told my dr. that I believed the sudden stopping of the Atenolol was definitely a factor if not THE factor that contributed to this event... In fact, I almost called his office before stopping the Atenolol but then I forgot about it and by the time I got there for the stress test, I was going on 3 days off of it. I certainly won't do that again.

Old 03-27-2012, 09:05 PM   #4
(male)

Gojoe HB UserGojoe HB User

Jana65,

Stopping a beta blocker cold can be dangerous. If I even miss a single dose of atenolol my heart pounds and blood pressure shoots way up. This is risky for those of us with heart problems to begin with. I have always done stress tests on meds for just that reason.

Old 03-28-2012, 05:00 AM   #5
(female)

jana65 HB User

Gojoe, when I went back to my dr. I told him that the sudden stopping of Atenolol was the reason everything happened, he said " You might be right ! "
He also said if you ever need another stress test we'll do the meds kind of test !!!
When I was told to come off of it, I did question the nurse at his office, but she said he was a " stickler " about it. Well, as for me, never again will I do that !

Closed Thread