It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2012, 03:57 PM   #1
(male)

richdot HB User
Chest pain

Hi I am a 23 year old male,

I have been having problems with my chest for around 1.5 years. It is a sharp stab pain on the left hand side of the chest ( near my heart ). Sometimes I also wake up in a morning and my chest will be very very tight. If I put pressure on the point were I am having the pain it will sort of send off a pain everytime. Chest at the best of times can be very sore. I have been to the doctors several times, I have had a ECG test, Chest X-ray, Asthma test, all came back clear. Forgot to add I also feel as though I have to take deep breaths and 9/10 they are very hard to catch, also yawning can sometimes be very difficult.

Any ideas what It could be as I just can't keep on living like this, It really gets me down and sort of holding back on things in life. It does upset me and gets me down.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Last edited by richdot; 04-13-2012 at 04:01 PM.

Old 04-13-2012, 04:27 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

Vyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB User
Re: Chest pain

If it's a sharp pain it's not your heart.
Sharp pains are hardly ever cardiac related.
Also cardiac pain doesn't get better or get worse by changing position, pressing on it or whatever - the pain remains the same.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-13-2012, 04:31 PM   #3
(male)

richdot HB User

Any ideas to what it could be? The pain lasts for 2-3 secs then goes and it will come back etc also it is very uncomfy for me to lay on the left hand side.

Old 04-13-2012, 10:57 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

SOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB User

It could even be in your ribcage. i remember a similar thing that freaked me out ot no end....until I arched my back enough to have a large "snap" ahppen right in my ribcage area and instantly relieve al discomfort. It had gone on for months too.

Not everything that causes chest pain automatically means heart problems. Add into it the anxiety of fearign the worst, and it only compunds the feelings.

Last edited by SOTM; 04-13-2012 at 10:58 PM.

Old 04-14-2012, 12:13 AM   #5
(male)

richdot HB User

Ok shall I ask for a ct scan would this be a more
In depth viewing of the chest than just a X-ray?

Old 04-15-2012, 02:06 PM   #6
(male)

richdot HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyking View Post
If it's a sharp pain it's not your heart.
Sharp pains are hardly ever cardiac related.
Also cardiac pain doesn't get better or get worse by changing position, pressing on it or whatever - the pain remains the same.
Can I ask what type of pain I would have if it was something serious like my heart as it is not always a stab pain sometimes its sort of a ache pain.

Would also a ct scan show more than a normal X-ray? What sort of thing would a ct scan show?

Old 04-15-2012, 10:10 PM   #7
Veteran
(male)

Vyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB User

Here's a list of Heart Attack Symptoms:

Chest:
Discomfort or pain in the centre of your chest. You may feel heaviness, tightness, pressure or a crushing sensation in the centre of the chest. The discomfort may be mild and make you feel generally unwell.

People who have had a heart attack describe feeling as if they have an elephant sitting on their chest or a belt tightening around their chest. Chest pain may spread to other parts of the upper body.

Note: Chest pain that is a sharp and stabbing sensation is generally less associated with having a heart attack.

Shoulder/s:
Discomfort or pain in and around one or both of your shoulders. People who have had a heart attack describe feeling a general ache, heaviness or pressure which spreads from their chest to their shoulder(s).

Neck:
Discomfort or pain in your neck. People who have had a heart attack describe a general discomfort in their neck, or a choking or burning feeling in their throat. This discomfort may spread from your chest or shoulders to your neck.

Arms:
Discomfort, pain, heaviness or uselessness in one or both arms. People who have had a heart attack describe feelings of discomfort, numbness or tingling in their arm(s). This discomfort may spread from your chest to your arm(s).

Jaw:
Discomfort or pain in your jaw. You may feel an ache or tightness in and around the lower jaw on either one or both sides. This discomfort can spread from your chest to your jaw.

Back:
Discomfort or pain in your back. People who have had a heart attack describe feeling a dull ache in between their shoulder blades. This discomfort can spread from your chest to your back.

You may feel nauseous or generally unwell.
You may feel dizzy or light-headed.
You may break out in a cold sweat.
You may feel short of breath or have difficulty breathing.
People who have had a heart attack describe finding it difficult to breathe or take a deep breath due to a tight or constricted feeling in their chest.

Old 04-16-2012, 09:58 AM   #8
(male)

richdot HB User

Best thing I can do right now I feel is ask for a ct scan. As I know something is not right an aching and sharp pain is not right especially not at the left side of the chest :-(

Old 04-18-2012, 10:41 PM   #9
(female)

lindalang2011 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by richdot View Post
Best thing I can do right now I feel is ask for a ct scan. As I know something is not right an aching and sharp pain is not right especially not at the left side of the chest :-(
I'm having the exact same thing! Though I'm female, so the best way to describe my pain location, is on the inner edge of my breast, about an inch from the middle of my chest, but it is localized to that area on my breast. Is this also where you hurt? Mine is like a lightning bolt pain that comes and goes, but is very scary when it happens! It happened to me twice today, which is why I'm on here. I told my doc, but she didn't seem concerned. The thing that makes me worry if it's heart related, is I occasionally get pvc's, and short bouts of Tachychardia. Also, 2 years ago, I had a panic attack lasting 2 days, where I could not get my heart rate down from the 120's. I've been on beta blockers ever since. So this is why I worry everytime I get the pain. I had an episode last summer with chest pain, that resolved. It just came back about 3 weeks ago. That pain started in the middle, for about 5 mins., but it was right after eating jalepenos. Now, it's more like electrical shocks of pain that come and go. Today, I drank a coke afterwords, and tried to burp as much as possible. It helps, each time. So, it could be excessive gas or Gerd. The scariest thing I've read is a blocked artery, as a possible cause. The only way to know about that, is thru an angiogram. Tomorrow, I'm calling to get referred to a cardio doc, and to increase the mg on my pain meds, in the meantime. I'd suggest seeing a cardio. I'm 38, I admit I do smoke and stay up too late, and also under a huge amount of stress. Please keep us updated or send me a pm, if you find out something. I hope we both get better soon.

Old 04-24-2012, 12:39 PM   #10
(male)

richdot HB User

Okay it appears that I have muscular pain in my left chest according to the doctor at the hospital.

my ECG, blood test, X-ray all came back fine.

So this is what they have put it down to! I have been told to take pain killer every day for 3 weeks to see if it will shift the pain.

Last edited by richdot; 04-24-2012 at 12:42 PM.

Old 04-30-2012, 03:35 PM   #11
(male)

richdot HB User

This is getting no better, I really do feel they have not done
Enough tests my pain is a sharp akin pain right near
My heart it's very uncomfortable! Currently been taking co-codamol for 3 days, it's just not shifting it!

Old 05-15-2012, 01:51 PM   #12
(male)

richdot HB User

Making another update post on this thread...

Still no better, I just feel I have not had enough tests and they have just thrown the towel in too early.

I have had an ECG, Blood test and a chest x-ray. All came back clear! Is there any other test I can sort of ask for as I can't keep on living like this as it's putting me down!

Old 08-05-2012, 06:30 PM   #13
(male)

richdot HB User

Ok pain is still here. Done what they told me to do at the hospital and also what the doctor said and it's still getting no better!

I get the pain every day. Shall I just go back to the doctors? But what if he just says keep taking pain killers? Is there not like another test I can request or ask for?

Thanks

Old 10-18-2012, 04:17 PM   #14
(male)

richdot HB User

Still many months on have the same problem...

Tonight I had a pain that scared me. It was a very hard pain and the pain went up the left side of my chest and it traveled up my neck which gave it a slightly numb feeling. It hurt a lot the pain was very over powering!

I keep having tight chest pains and pain on left hand side of the chest every day not a day goes by where I don't have it. It sucks!

Doctors say its costodontris ( not sure on the spelling ) the pain tonight felt horrible is it still one of the symptoms?

Last edited by richdot; 10-18-2012 at 04:18 PM.

Reply Reply