It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2012, 06:27 PM   #1
(male)

hominid HB User
Angiograms

I have the following risk factors:

Genetic predisposition
Smoker
High blood pressure (controlled with medication)
Highish cholesterol

Because of these risk factors, my doctor had me do a echo stress test which showed that under stress part of my heart was not getting enough oxygen. I did not, however, have any problem doing the stress test. I felt only mildly exerted and could have walked for another 10 minutes easily.

I have had no symptoms. No shortness of breath, no chest pain, no palpitations, nothing.

He now wants me to do an angiogram. If he finds serious enough blockage, he wants to do an angioplasty or place a stent. If it's really bad, he wants to do a bypass.

This has really scared me and I have done a complete lifestyle change in the 3 weeks since this came about. I have radically altered my diet, am exercising daily and am very close to breaking my nicotine addiction.

Having read about these procedures, I'm not convinced I want to go through with it. I do want to do the angiogram, because I want to know what's going on, but are these invasive procedures truly effective in prolonging my life? Again, I have no physical pain or symptoms, which seems to be one of the big reasons often stated for performing these procedures.

I'd appreciate any feedback from those who have experienced a similar dilemma.

Old 04-16-2012, 08:36 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

Vyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB User
Re: Angiograms

hominid,
Have the Angio done - it could save your life.
The only symptom I had was a burning sensation in my throat - I actually thought it was indigestion or something like that.
I ended up having a triple bypass in Oct 2009 for two 90% blockages in the LAD artery and a 70% blockage in the RCA - I had no other symptoms other than the burning in the throat - I would never have thought it was cardiac related.

There are risks with any proceedure - I had a cardiac arrest during my angiogram but don't let that put you off, it was the location and severity of the blockages that caused the arrest.

Good Luck.

The Following User Says Thank You to Vyking For This Useful Post:
hominid (04-17-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-16-2012, 08:38 PM   #3
Veteran
(male)

Vyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB User

Also - if there is anything wrong and you have a choice - go for the bypass, a bypass will last much longer than a stent.

A bypass really is not as bad as you think.

Old 04-18-2012, 03:48 AM   #4
(female)

jana65 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hominid View Post
I have the following risk factors:

Genetic predisposition
Smoker
High blood pressure (controlled with medication)
Highish cholesterol

Because of these risk factors, my doctor had me do a echo stress test which showed that under stress part of my heart was not getting enough oxygen. I did not, however, have any problem doing the stress test. I felt only mildly exerted and could have walked for another 10 minutes easily.

I have had no symptoms. No shortness of breath, no chest pain, no palpitations, nothing.

He now wants me to do an angiogram. If he finds serious enough blockage, he wants to do an angioplasty or place a stent. If it's really bad, he wants to do a bypass.

This has really scared me and I have done a complete lifestyle change in the 3 weeks since this came about. I have radically altered my diet, am exercising daily and am very close to breaking my nicotine addiction.

Having read about these procedures, I'm not convinced I want to go through with it. I do want to do the angiogram, because I want to know what's going on, but are these invasive procedures truly effective in prolonging my life? Again, I have no physical pain or symptoms, which seems to be one of the big reasons often stated for performing these procedures.

I'd appreciate any feedback from those who have experienced a similar dilemma.

Old 04-18-2012, 04:05 AM   #5
(female)

jana65 HB User

Just read your post and I totally understand your anziety about the angiogram. I was curious about your stress test since you say your blood pressure is under control. Prior to having the stress test, did your dr. tell you to come off your BP med/s ???
I was on 25mg Lisinopril and 25 Atenolol daily and had a stress test back in early March. Dr.'s order said to NOT take the Atenolol for 2 days before the stress test. Atenolol is a beta blocker and slows your heartbeat. At any rate, After being OFF Atenolol for almost 3 days my heartbeat went crazy after I had been on the treadmill for about 3 minutes. My rate was 150 bpm and my Dr. said I was in A-Fib. His staff called an ambulance and I was in the hospital before I knew what happened. Keep in mind, I had no pain anywhere ! Then they scheduled me for a heart cath the next morning. It showed some "moderate disease " as he called it but not enough for stent placement. Looking back, I believe this whole episode was caused by the abrupt stop of the Atenolol. I go back to the cardiologist on May 3 and will talk with him about this.
The procedure itself was not bad at all. I had the " angioseal " which is a collagen plug placed in the femoral artery to control the bleeding. I had to keep my leg flat and not moving for 1 hour and was released from the hospital later that same day. I had no bruising or pain. Also, I was under sedation not anesthesia and I told them I did NOT want to be conscious. I do remember a very little but did not feel anything.
Best of luck to you and if you do go through with it, make sure your cardiologist does LOTS of these and is experienced.

The Following User Says Thank You to jana65 For This Useful Post:
hominid (04-18-2012)
Old 04-18-2012, 03:16 PM   #6
(male)

hominid HB User

Thanks Jana, I was not told to stop my BP medicine (Losartin 100mg). I am having the angiogram done on the 27th, because I want to know what is going on. I just dread the idea of having an angioplasty, stent or bypass.

The Following User Says Thank You to hominid For This Useful Post:
jana65 (04-18-2012)
Old 04-18-2012, 03:38 PM   #7
Veteran
(male)

Hi hominid,
An Angiogram is painless, I was also worried about having an Angio I never even had any sedation.
The only thing I felt was the needle jab when they put in the local anaesthetic - you don't feel a thing.

hominid (04-18-2012)
Old 04-18-2012, 04:28 PM   #8
(female)

jana65 HB User

Wow, you are fearless ! I told them I didn't want to be awake at all and they cooperated ! I also didn't feel a thing. Well, when they put Betadine or whatever it was on my leg I almost got up. It was icy cold !!! After that, not a whole lot until it was over. The procedure itself terrified me but thankfully, it all happened so fast, I didn't have time to dwell on it !

Old 04-18-2012, 06:16 PM   #9
Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jana65 View Post
Wow, you are fearless !
Hi jana65,
It wasn't a case of being fearless.
It was more like the Public Hospital system here in Australia - I think it was a cost cutting thing.
Although if I was freaking out they would have given me something, I don't think they'd like it if I was kicking and screaming lol.

jana65 (04-18-2012)
Closed Thread