It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2012, 06:56 PM   #1
(male)

rdp217 HB User
Chronic Chest Pain, at my wits end

I'm a 28 year old male. I've had chronic chest pain for almost 8 years. It's a tightness in my chest and on days when its bad, I can feel it in my neck. It feels like someone is literally sitting on my chest. I've learned to live with it, but it's so annoying, and it's just getting more and more annoying. Nothing seems to help. I've been on reflux medicine (e.g. Ranitidine, Omezaperole, etc..etc..) and those didn't help. I've been on SSRI's and Xanax for anxiety and that didn't help. I get a lot of heart palpitations, but I just think it's probably from the anxiety from having this chest pain.

My total cholesterol is 115 (55 LDL, 60 HDL), my triglycerides are 45, no high blood pressure, and no history of heart disease in my family. My grandparents have lived into their 90's and even up to 100.

There are times when it feels like I can't get enough air, and this will last anywhere from a couple hours to a couple weeks, and just comes and goes. I've noticed that this doesn't effect my performance when running, but could this also be attributed to anxiety?

My doctor doesn't feel I need to see a cardiologist, and he's probably right. I run 5 days a week (anywhere from 3-10 miles at a time), and exercise seems to make it better, or at least i'm not noticing it as prevelant when I'm resting. Plus, I haven't dropped dead...at least not yet.

I'm just about at my wit's end with this chest pain. Does anyone else experience this? I know that there are heart conditions that cause these symptoms, but it's gone on this long, and isn't affected with exercise.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-10-2012, 08:17 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

Vyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB User
Re: Chronic Chest Pain, at my wits end

It doesn't sound like a heart problem since it's not affected by exercise.
To put your mind at rest I would be demanding to see a Cardiologist to have your heart checked thoroughly.

Good Luck.

Old 05-11-2012, 05:05 AM   #3
(female)

weightloss11 HB User

I think it will be diagnosed; you need to go for a thorough check-up by consulting a cardiologist.

Old 05-13-2012, 01:35 PM   #4
(female)

rosier HB Userrosier HB Userrosier HB Userrosier HB Userrosier HB Userrosier HB User

Get yourself checked by a cardio, most doctors may think there is nothing wrong, but chronic pain is nothing to sneeze at. Please get one set asap. You have gone too long with this and not knowing what is hurting you more. Let us know what happens. The heart health is more important than a mere pcp doctor pride. Is important for your health to get things check. Hugs for today.

Rosier
Never give up.

Old 05-15-2012, 10:18 AM   #5
(male)

bay7000 HB User

any updates?
i have some of the same symptoms and tried the same meds with no relief.
do you get shortness of breath as well?
ive tried most of the heart test ie: ekgs, stress, holter. chest xray, and bloodwork all appear to be normal. docs says my heart appears to be normal yet i still get the shortness of breath/and heavy feelings, palpitations.

have you done any heart tests ie: EKG's/any other test? i would get checked by a cardio, and see whats happening. what do you suppose is causing the chest pain?

keep us posted.

Old 05-15-2012, 11:14 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

EagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB User

It sounds like it might be anxiety, to me. Especially since exercise makes it better.

Old 05-16-2012, 02:54 PM   #7
(male)

rdp217 HB User

Hey all, I have an appointment tomorrow, and I'm going to mention going to see a cardiologist.

I honestly don't think it would be heart problems, I've lived with this for a long time, and if it was a heart problem I would think my symptoms would change or get worse. They haven't been worse, it's just annoying. Anyway, I'm going to get it checked out.

I've not had heart tests done before.

My pain is better in the morning, and doesn't bother me at night, and has never woken me up. I've noticed the massaging my stomach area relieves the pain. That is an odd thing.

Anyway, i'll let you guys know whats going on.

Old 05-16-2012, 04:59 PM   #8
Veteran
(male)

Vyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdp217 View Post
I've noticed the massaging my stomach area relieves the pain. That is an odd thing.
Then it's not a heart problem - if it was a heart problem the pain would remain the same, cardiac pain is not affected by changing position, rubbing the area or anything else.

Old 05-18-2012, 07:04 AM   #9
(male)

rdp217 HB User

So I went to the doctor and they did some blood work and tested my c reactive protein and e sedimentation, and all are normal. SHe prescribed me lidocaine patches. If that doesnt work Ill be referred to a cardiologist. Im ok with that.

Old 05-18-2012, 12:07 PM   #10
Veteran
(male)

Good luck, keep us updated.

Old 06-18-2012, 03:52 PM   #11
(male)

bay7000 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdp217 View Post
So I went to the doctor and they did some blood work and tested my c reactive protein and e sedimentation, and all are normal. SHe prescribed me lidocaine patches. If that doesnt work Ill be referred to a cardiologist. Im ok with that.
any new updates? hows the patches?

Old 06-18-2012, 05:15 PM   #12
(female)

jfo HB User

I'm very new to this board, but I want to tell you my symptoms and what I have been diagnosed with. I am 46 yr old woman and have had heart palpitations/chest pains/SOB/anxiety since I was 18. I finally found a Doc that listened to me and ordered a chest xray and an echocardiogram. I have slight Mitral Valve Prolapse. They tell me its slight, but my symtoms seem extreme to me at times. If my body is in stress, my heart hurts, I have more palps, etc. Here is what helps me.... NO CAFFIENE OR ALCOHOL. Aerobic excersize. Contol anxiety, If I dont, I am in trouble. Eat small meals more frequently. SLEEP and try not to get overally tired. All my blood work is normal, EKG normal, heart monitor shows PVC's. They are sooooo irritating and I HATE them, but I have to stay positive everyday and trust me, its hard.

I'm not saying you have MVP, I just wanted to share my symptoms with you for your information

Take Care

Reply Reply