It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2012, 07:21 PM   #1
(male)

Slim63 HB User
Angry Is it POTS, HF or what?

I m a 48yo male. I have pvcs for 3 years. Started with infrequent pvcs throughout the day. Since early this year, there is change to the pattern. There is less pvcs throughout the day but more tachycardia, pounding heartbeat, sweating and pvcs runs on standing or exertion e.g, showering, vacuming, walking etc.... Mr usual resting hr is +/-60. But on standing its 90 to 100, and on walking 120 and above. When these happens, I feel like an 80 yo.

Recent 24hr holter showed 30% bradycardia (lowest 43bpm) and 10% tachycardia (highest 131bpm). Only 126 pvcs but must say this was a better day. Stress test stage 2, hr 155bpm with infrequent pvcs. Echo 3 years ago showed LVEF 60% and trvia Tricuspid regur. SV 44? Otherwise, tests are normal. Also have had infrequent chest and back pain since 2 years back but they are almost daily now. Pain can last for 6 hours and more.

I m waiting to get a echo. I m afraid its HF. Otherwise, what can be the reason for these problems?

Need help.

Old 05-18-2012, 04:40 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
Re: Is it POTS, HF or what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slim63 View Post
I m a 48yo male. ... I m waiting to get a echo. I m afraid its HF. Otherwise, what can be the reason for these problems?

Need help.
You are of the age where your metabolism has slowed down. Your body cannot burn off the calories as well as it did when you were younger.

That said... part of the problem could be that you are becoming pre-Diabetic or Insulin Resistant. Have you had your blood sugar tested? How many calories do you consume in one meal, and for an entire day? Are you overweight?

Do you smoke?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slim63
Echo 3 years ago showed LVEF 60%
That was an excellent LVEF! If your LVEF is still like that, your symptoms could reflect Diastolic Heart Failure, or enlargement of the left atrium. When the left atrium becomes enlarged, even slightly, it throws off the heart rhythm and heart beat; and can cause all kinds of uncomfortable symptoms.

The diagnosis of Heart Failure doesn't mean that the heart has failed, or is in failure. Heart Failure could mean anything from a slight enlargement, weakening or thickening of either the atrium or the ventricle, or a more significant damage. There are several different classes and categories of Heart Failure.

OTOH, you could have some aterial blockages or CAD.

OTOH, your heart valve problems could have gotten worse?

Just throwing out some ideas. Only a health professional with access to your records and the ability to do tests, would really be able to provide meaningful diagnosis.

At any rate, I hope that your heart problems are minimal and that, thru diet and exercise and effective medication, your problems will be minimized.

Best of luck and health!

⇒ Eliminate household items that are toxic!
⇒ Balanced, healthy, low glycemic diet
⇒ Lots of Exercise
⇒ Avoid night allergens, toxins
⇒ Coreg!

Last edited by Machaon; 05-18-2012 at 04:43 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to Machaon For This Useful Post:
Slim63 (05-21-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-24-2012, 11:06 PM   #3
(male)

Slim63 HB User

Latest echo and MRI diagnose increased LVHT. MRI also indicated no non compaction of LV and therefore LVHT significance unknow?

LV EF increased to 68% and *** other cardia image are normal.

My cardio dr does not seem to know what is wrong with me....

Interestingly, after I stop omega 3 supplement, my chest and back pain also went away and my symptoms improved for a couple of weeks. Not sure if coincidence though. So now, about 2 months after these revelations, I am back to pvcs and runs of pvcs e.g. bigeminy, trigeminy and maybe couplets etc.... Tachycardia on exertion still and general discomfort in the chest/heart.

Machaon, any idea what *** this means?

Thanks.

Quote:
I m a 48yo male. I have pvcs for 3 years. Started with infrequent pvcs throughout the day. Since early this year, there is change to the pattern. There is less pvcs throughout the day but more tachycardia, pounding heartbeat, sweating and pvcs runs on standing or exertion e.g, showering, vacuming, walking etc.... Mr usual resting hr is +/-60. But on standing its 90 to 100, and on walking 120 and above. When these happens, I feel like an 80 yo.

Recent 24hr holter showed 30% bradycardia (lowest 43bpm) and 10% tachycardia (highest 131bpm). Only 126 pvcs but must say this was a better day. Stress test stage 2, hr 155bpm with infrequent pvcs. Echo 3 years ago showed LVEF 60% and trvia Tricuspid regur. SV 44? Otherwise, tests are normal. Also have had infrequent chest and back pain since 2 years back but they are almost daily now. Pain can last for 6 hours and more.

I m waiting to get a echo. I m afraid its HF. Otherwise, what can be the reason for these problems?

Need help.

Last edited by Slim63; 10-24-2012 at 11:08 PM. Reason: Typo

Old 10-26-2012, 06:44 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Latest echo and MRI diagnose increased LVHT. MRI also indicated no non compaction of LV and therefore LVHT significance unknown?
Noncompaction refers to a genetic condition that causes abnormalities (Hypertrabeculation) of the inside of the heart muscle while in the womb. According to your latest echo, you DON'T have this. Therefore, it puts into question your doctor's diagnosis of Left Ventricular Hypertrabeculation/noncompaction (LVHT).

One must ALWAYS question the judgement of one's doctor. They are just normal working shills like the rest of us.

Quote:
LV EF increased to 68% and all other cardia image are normal.
That is GREAT news. Love the 68 EF! Love that your cardia images are normal! Congratulations! That should make you feel better about your heart.

Quote:
My cardio dr does not seem to know what is wrong with me....
That is not unusual. There are many MANY things that can cause one's heart to misfire. Doctor's have no way of knowing their patient's diet, environment, lifestyle and unique metabolism.

Quote:
Interestingly, after I stop omega 3 supplement, my chest and back pain also went away and my symptoms improved for a couple of weeks. Not sure if coincidence though.
It would be interesting to see if the omega 3 would continue to provide benefits, or if you can determine if it was something else?

Quote:
So now, about 2 months after these revelations, I am back to pvcs and runs of pvcs e.g. bigeminy, trigeminy and maybe couplets etc.... Tachycardia on exertion still and general discomfort in the chest/heart.
Well.... it sure sounds like your heart if functioning well, despite your heart rhythm problems. Finding out the exact causes of a heart misfiring and chest discomfort can be quite complex and frustrating. The important thing is to get the heart rhythm/heartbeat problems corrected either thru medication, ablation, diet, or avoiding things that can irritate or over-stimulate the heart.

What medications do you take for your heart?

⇒ Lots of Exercise
⇒ Coreg!

Old 10-26-2012, 07:49 AM   #5
(male)

Slim63 HB User

Thanks for your reply again.

For example today was a holiday and I woke up late. Rested the whole day and heart rate was relatively low and less than 10 pvcs whole day. It was different yesterday morning at work. I had to walk about 500m to a construction site and stood there for about 1/2 hr. the whole time hr rate was high >110 and pvcs firing all the time. I felt horrible. Only when I sat down after that the pvcs lessen. My concern is my heart cannot take any type of stress and therefore it's some type of HF.

I am the peak of my career and becos of this I am afraid to travel and take on new challenges. It's not only frustrating but worrying as well.

Oh yes, when I have fast hr and pvcs, ECG captures it as sinus tach with pvcs. My cardio is trying to schedule another holter for me but I think it will only be three months later due to the long queue.

Sigh...

Old 10-26-2012, 08:50 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
... I had to walk about 500m to a construction site and stood there for about 1/2 hr. the whole time hr rate was high >110 and pvcs firing all the time. I felt horrible.
The important thing, in my opinion, is to get your heart beating more effectively, regardless of the complex cause(s).

What medications are you now taking in order to reduce the PVCs and fast heartbeat?

Quote:
My concern is my heart cannot take any type of stress and therefore it's some type of HF.
You would be surprised how tough one's heart can be. The heart is an amazingly strong, powerful, resilient pump. You can lose half of your heart's ability to pump and it will still do a relatively good job.

You just said that your tests came back as: "LV EF increased to 68% and all other cardia image are normal."

Normal is good, right? If you had obvious damage to your heart, one would think that the damage would show up on your echocardiogram, right?

Quote:
I am the peak of my career and becos of this I am afraid to travel and take on new challenges. It's not only frustrating but worrying as well.
When your heart is not beating correctly, it can make you weak, fatigued, light headed, over-sweat, sickly feeling, mentally confused, etc. It can make you feel like you have heart failure because your heart is failing to do the job it is designed to do.

The very first thing that I would do is get on the most effective medication in order to help the heart to beat better.

Are you on any heart medications?

There are many things that can cause a heart to misfire, like caffeine, cigarette smoke, air pollution, pollen, allergens, chemicals, odors, bad diet, too many carbs in one's diet, etc.

In my case, I take Digoxin and Coreg (Carvedilol) to slow my heart rate and help my heart to beat better; and I avoid heart irritants and stimulants; and I eat a very healthy diet; and I do significant daily exercise.

How do you feel about taking heart medications?

⇒ Lots of Exercise
⇒ Coreg!

Last edited by Machaon; 10-26-2012 at 08:53 AM.

Old 10-26-2012, 08:59 PM   #7
(male)

Slim63 HB User

Thanks Machaon for your patience.

I did try Biaoprlol 1/2 of 1.25mg it work well for a week before I have an episode of tachycardia. I am take proponolol only when I cannot tolerate the pvcs and fast hr. I don't take it regularly becos if my heart is not acting up, it slow down my hr to below 55 and I feel my heart struggling, uncomfortable sensation.

I think you may be right about taking medication. When I was complaining about chest pain previously(used to be frequent and lasted for about 6 months), my dr ask me to try Diltiazem. I tried for a very short duration and it didn't seem to have any effect.

I am afraid of taking medicine long term.

In my situation would, what type of medication do you think is best and have the least side effects or long term damage? Am I asking too much? Lol!

Thanks.

Last edited by hb-mod; 10-27-2012 at 06:27 AM.

Old 01-21-2013, 01:27 AM   #8
(male)

Slim63 HB User

Quote:
Thanks Machaon for your patience.

I did try Biaoprlol 1/2 of 1.25mg it work well for a week before I have an episode of tachycardia. I am take proponolol only when I cannot tolerate the pvcs and fast hr. I don't take it regularly becos if my heart is not acting up, it slow down my hr to below 55 and I feel my heart struggling, uncomfortable sensation.

I think you may be right about taking medication. When I was complaining about chest pain previously(used to be frequent and lasted for about 6 months), my dr ask me to try Diltiazem. I tried for a very short duration and it didn't seem to have any effect.

I am afraid of taking medicine long term.

In my situation would, what type of medication do you think is best and have the least side effects or long term damage? Am I asking too much? Lol!

Thanks.

Hi, I read omega 3 may cause palpitations I stop it last november and not sure if its coincidental, my back and chest pain stop completely. I am pain free since. I still get POTS like symptoms but they are much more tolerable now.

However, pvcs are getting worst and I now have many pvcs runs. I also believe I get runs of 4 pvcs in a row and these make me feel strange and light headed. I will be doing a 24hr holter next month. Hope to find out more.

Could the Omega 3 caused my chest pain and made the situation worst? I was on it for about 6 months.

Thanks.

Reply Reply