It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2012, 10:26 AM   #1
(male)

edward005 HB User
Red face Sharp Stabbing Pain through my heart

Hello everyone I'm new here hope you can help me,
Everything started just 2 months ago. During the spring break I started experiencing pressure on my chest and difficulty breathing. Those symptom ended up sending me to the ER where I had do blood work, 2 ekg, and X-rays. Thanks god everything came back normal. The doc. said i was chest wall pain and told me to take Ibuprofen. After a few days i went to a pending appointment with my cardiologist who sent me for another ekg that according to him suggest perdicarditis. He told me to keep taking ibuprofen and sent me to have a echocardiogram done which came back excellent. Then I went to the head cardiologist who is an amazing doc. he told me that my eco was normal and the only thing he saw was a little prolapse in my mitral valve but that is was so insignificant that it didn't matter. then I had, during the las month, done about 4 ekg and 3 echocardiograms just to make sure and to calm me down. Moreover, I also had an Holter for 24 hours that showed an atrial arrhythmia but nothing to be concerned my doc. said. He said it could be anxiety and stress. Now Im on beta-blockers for the tachycardia and resting at home taking it easy. Now the problem is that sometimes I experience shortness of breath which my doc said could be muscular i don't really know. Plus, other times i experience a sharp stabbing pain right through my heart. It lasts for about 3 to 6 seconds max and usually happen when my heart is beating slow and hard due to the beta-blockers. I was reading and thought it could be anginia but on my blood tests my cholesterol and sugar and everything came back super normal. I really confused guys. Im pretty healthy otherwise. I can walk a kl normally even though I do experience tachycardia if I climb long stairs but they come down if I rest on my bed.
These are the thing that concern me:
1- Is this sharp stabbing pain anginia? it doesn't really happen very often but as i said when my heart beats slow and hard it does sometimes get worse when I breathe in. and i happen mostly when I sit down and rarely when I lay down.
2- Is it normal that my heart rate is around the 68 and 71 during day even at rest and at night it goes down to 60-63 . I know the lower, the better but just want to make sure.
3- what do you think about my case? could the shortness of breath and occasional sharp stabbing pain be muscular?

The following user gives a hug of support to edward005:
sjb (05-31-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-31-2012, 10:43 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User
Re: Sharp Stabbing Pain through my heart

Hi Welcome to the Heart disorder healthboard. I hope the needed support is found here. Some people get an angiogram to see what the blood vessels look like but this requires radiation (radiation can cause cancer) and some are allergic to the dye used because it contains iodine.

Have heavy weights been lifted? This can often cause a valve prolapse. Of course moderation in ones exercise such as with lifting is good. No more than about 10 pounds in my opinion. Walking is said to be the best exercise.

Of course I would do no meat eating, no alcohol, tobacco or drugs with a condition like that and other healthy lifestyle things
done.
sjb

Last edited by sjb; 05-31-2012 at 11:11 AM. Reason: additions made

The Following User Says Thank You to sjb For This Useful Post:
edward005 (06-01-2012)
Old 05-31-2012, 01:20 PM   #3
Veteran
(male)

Vyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by edward005 View Post
1- Is this sharp stabbing pain anginia? it doesn't really happen very often but as i said when my heart beats slow and hard it does sometimes get worse when I breathe in. and i happen mostly when I sit down and rarely when I lay down.
I don't think it's angina - Cardiac pain is very rarely described as 'sharp'.
Angina is a reduction of blood supply to the heart muscle - your heart would need to be beating faster and harder than normal to bring on Angina because it needs more blood.
Quote:
2- Is it normal that my heart rate is around the 68 and 71 during day even at rest and at night it goes down to 60-63 . I know the lower, the better but just want to make sure.
That's pretty normal, remember you are also on beta blockers.
Quote:
3- what do you think about my case? could the shortness of breath and occasional sharp stabbing pain be muscular?
It's quite possible.

Good Luck.

The Following User Says Thank You to Vyking For This Useful Post:
edward005 (06-01-2012)
Old 06-01-2012, 09:32 PM   #4
(male)

edward005 HB User
Smile Re: Sharp Stabbing Pain through my heart

Greeting guys,
Thank you for your replies. Today my cardiologist's office receptionist called me to remind me to that i need to see an electrophisiology who will determine what should be best to get rid of my tachycardia. My doc. Say that im young and it will desappear but he wants to make sure so im feeling better with his words and ur replies. I starting to think that yeah it could be muscular cuss sometimes after the sharp stabbing pain i get a feeling like a squeeze around the heart like if someone take it in his hands and try to pull it out its nothing painful just unconfortable. Maybe it'll desappear later

Old 06-02-2012, 11:43 AM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

Hi I have heard that if the blood volume is down, it can cause the heart to speed up. If a person did not drink enough water that might cause blood volume to be a bit low. Is the blood pressure low? Of course major exercise can cause it to speed up and anxiety can cause it. If a person has too much sugar and suffers a subsequent panic attack then of course the rate would go up. Sometimes there is something wrong with the nodes that work with the heart and that causes it. If a person uses a healthy lifestyle they are more likely to live longer. I would avoid sports watching because some people die in a fit of rage. I would try to do calming things because both rage and fear are not that beneficial. Instead of worrying about oneself, one can occupy himself trying to help and benefit others. Peace, sjb

The Following User Says Thank You to sjb For This Useful Post:
edward005 (06-02-2012)
Old 06-02-2012, 04:48 PM   #6
(male)

edward005 HB User

Oh yes i've heard about that. I drink about 7 glasses of water daily. And no my blood pressure is normal 120/80. Im trying to rest more and do calming activity because i have noticed that after activity such as sports or sex my heart rate goes below normal during day my heart rate is about 68 but after activity it goes to the upper 50s for a while ot a few hours or it usually stay on opposite side on the low 70s for 1 day or so. I dont know if thats normal or if it because im on beta blockers a very low dose of 25 mg a day. One user told me that it could be because of that. But at least all the ultrasounds have shown my heart is structurally good im just waiting to see what the electrophysiologist says but what i can tell you is that this situation is annoying

Old 06-03-2012, 06:02 AM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

Hi I would be interested to know what the electrophysiologist says if desired. I think I would try a heating pad myself.

Old 06-03-2012, 08:35 AM   #8
(female)

rosier HB Userrosier HB Userrosier HB Userrosier HB Userrosier HB Userrosier HB User

For the shortness of breathe when you do something is normal when one has a cardio condition, even such as yours. You need to ask more information questions when you are with the cardiologist. You need to ask the doctor if you are restricted from any physical activites. You are young and may not have to be. Just ask questions about anything and the doctor should be able to reassure you of what you need to do. Walking will not hurt you as a leisurely pace. Keep us updated. Hugs for today.

Rosier
Never give up.

The Following User Says Thank You to rosier For This Useful Post:
edward005 (06-04-2012)
Old 06-04-2012, 05:12 PM   #9
(male)

edward005 HB User

I couldnt see the doc. Because he was removed for some reason and the head cardiologist hired someone else and they moved my appointment for this week...first i was upset but then i realized it was better cuss if he was removed its because he wasnt doing his job as h should....as soon as i come from my appointment i will post what happen

Old 06-04-2012, 05:19 PM   #10
(male)

edward005 HB User

Thank u for ur words and yeah its true i will ask more questions i was thinking in start writing a list because sometimes nothin come to our minds when we are with the doc but when we get home a bunch of question appear....thanks god the shortness of breath is desappearing and most of the other things hat i need now is a final solution and i hope the electro physiologist give it to me cuss i dont want to be on beta blockers anymore

Old 06-04-2012, 05:31 PM   #11
Facilitator
(female)

Hi good thinking in my opinion, I would always check in my opinion to see if the doctor has a 5 star review. Otherwise the proper diagnosis might not be made. I once heard someone say one should see the doctor as often as one sees the lawyer. Peace, sjb

Last edited by sjb; 06-04-2012 at 05:34 PM. Reason: addition

Old 06-04-2012, 06:50 PM   #12
(female)

rosier HB Userrosier HB Userrosier HB Userrosier HB Userrosier HB Userrosier HB User

Writing a list of questions is quite helpful to keep everything in perspective. It helps to keep you calm and direct. Good luck with the new Cardio and hope everything turns out ok. Hugs for today.

Rosier
Never give up.

Old 06-16-2012, 10:30 PM   #13
(male)

edward005 HB User

Hi everyone
The eletrophysiologist said he's going to performed some tests the first time we talk was i guess tO kinda interview me or something....the problems i talked to u about are vanishing thanks god now what is causing me trouble is a stange squeezing feeling in the heart this is really freaking me out the stabbing pain was nothing compared to this it doesnt hurt nor i have any symptom with it but is very scay when u feel like if someone is squeezing ur heart it last 1 or 3 seconds but it is scary

Old 06-17-2012, 04:06 AM   #14
(female)

Be sure, even thought certain disappear, to remember to mention them and how long you did have them. Snd be sure to mention the new one as well when you see the doctor again. And do not foreget to ask questions. Education is key to good health information. Good luck and keep us updated. Hugs for today.

Rosier
Never give up.

Last edited by rosier; 06-17-2012 at 04:07 AM. Reason: misspelling

Reply Reply