It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2012, 02:18 PM   #1
(female)

Phoenix41 HB User
Help--MVP diagnosis severe

Hi there. I just turned 41 a few weeks ago and gave birth to my second child 5 months ago. I am in great health with no history of problems (except migraines) when I went for a routine exam with my family doctor. I had a murmur and went for more tests--EKG and echocardiogram. The results just came back and I have severe mitral valve prolapse! I am very shocked and have been walking around in a daze. I will be seeing a cardiologist in about a month. He would have seen me sooner if I was no feeling well but I said I was feeling fine. (Occasionally I'm out of breath but nothing severe...I go running every couple of days so I'm pretty decently healthy!)

Does anyone suffer from MVP here? I know it can be nothing to worry about but the report said 'severe'...and is it genetic? I have two beautiful girls....I would need to know for their sake.

Thanks so much for all your help (in advance)!!

The following user gives a hug of support to Phoenix41:
sjb (06-01-2012)
Old 06-01-2012, 03:02 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User
Re: Help--MVP diagnosis severe

Hi sometimes it can be genetic. Sometimes I think from heavy lifting, and after watching women push babies real hard I can only wonder. That thought is probably implied from what was said in the paragraph. I learned a long time ago from a book that the patient usually tells a person what is wrong with him. I can offer my deep sympathy. I would use as healthy a lifestyle as possible with walking and no heavy lifting. I would try not to lift more than about 10 pounds including the baby. I would learn to use strollers where possible. Of course one could ask the doctor about weight limits. If there are subsequent babies of course the doctors would need to know as early as the pregnancy occurs, in case there are other decisions to make. A mother needs the heart to help with the birthing process and for oxygen to the baby. Of course oxygen can be given to the baby but it would be real hard on the Mom and there is then potential of loss to both.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread