It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2012, 01:33 PM   #1
(male)

jj9500 HB User
Low Resting Heart Rate?

My resting heart rate is between 50-60 bpm. Im wondering if this is a concern? I recently had a simple outpatient procdure done where in the recovery room my rate went down into the mid 40s. The nurse asked if this was normal for me. Wasn't sure how to answer that. I am 48 years old femal, 215 lbs, 5ft 10", larger boned (yes, I have weight to loose). I exercise regularly 45 min zumba class 2 days per week, 30 min kickbox class two days per week, free weight class two days per week. I've been doing this for about 2.5 years. My max heart rate in some of the more intense classes can get as high as 167 bpms. So again, is a 50-60 bpm resting heart rate to be of concern about. I do have digestive issues. Blood pressure is normal, sometimes on the lower side. Thanks for any input.

Old 06-07-2012, 02:34 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User
Re: Low Resting Heart Rate?

Hi a pulse of 40 seems a bit low I might want to run that past a good cardiac doctor. However I do wonder if any of it had to do with the medicines at the time. The pulse of 60 or so lots of people have. I would not want to lift weights since this often seems to wreck people's heart valves. If I was going to lift anything I would certainly not make it more than 10 pounds, the baby, laundry or the groceries.

Digestive issues are important to correct since the digestive organs are responsible for nourishing the whole body.
What was the minor outpatient procedure?

Last edited by sjb; 06-07-2012 at 02:37 PM. Reason: grammar

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-24-2012, 12:35 PM   #3
(male)

Bercy HB User

A resting heart rate in the 50-60 is an ideal rate and perfectly normal. Below 50 may indicate sinus bradycardia or an extremely atheletic person. If it goes down to 45 or below consistently, then it needs to be checked out, particularly if there are other symptoms such as shortness of breath, extreme fatigue, or chest pain.

My resting heart rate is 45 and I have never needed a pacemaker.

Old 07-16-2012, 06:13 AM   #4
(male)

normy1941 HB User

My heart rate is similar to yours, I have exercised a lot, and this rate is usually OK. However, one day I noticed a missing heart beat now and again when I checked my pulse when resting, and it got worse, although I did not really have symptoms.
I had ECG checks and a pacemaker was recommended, which was implanted this month. Apparently AV heart block as it is called can show up worse with low heart rates, and overnight my heart dropped to 24 with three second gaps between beats at times. I don't want to worry you, but it's good to be aware, and check your pulse to make sure all is OK.

Reply Reply