It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2012, 12:43 PM   #1
(female)

ProudMommy1216 HB User
Unhappy Leaking Heart Valve?

I had an echocardiogram done and my cardiologist said I have a leaking heart valve but did not elaborate on that..he also said it isn't serious. How can a leaking heart valve not be serious? I guess I am supposed to be getting yearly checkups to make sure it doesn't get worse...any one else have a leaking heart valve? I could use some info.

Old 07-06-2012, 12:51 PM   #2
(female)

msnova74 HB Usermsnova74 HB Usermsnova74 HB Usermsnova74 HB Usermsnova74 HB Usermsnova74 HB Usermsnova74 HB Usermsnova74 HB Usermsnova74 HB User
Re: Leaking Heart Valve?

I know it sounds scary, but unless you are symptomatic it really is no issue.

I was born with an atrial septal defect, and developed mitral valve prolapse in my 20's.

I live a relatively normal life. I have to take pre-meds(antibiotics) before getting dental cleaning etc. I also have to be careful in extreme heat, but beyond that and yearly checkups I have no issues.

I would ask you dr about it if you are concerned, but many people have mitral valve prolapse and don't know it.

T

T

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-06-2012, 12:59 PM   #3
(female)

ProudMommy1216 HB User

Thank you. I have a lot of symptoms going on at the moment and I have to see an endocrinologist to rule out other things. I have really bad teeth, just horrible. I actually need a full upper denture and 2 partial lower dentures. I am 26 years old. I am pre diabetic. My doctor thinks I may have Addison's disease on top of it all. I was gestationally diabetic at 8 weeks (very early). I have palpitations almost every day. My doctor thinks I have asthma, but I used to run in the air force at least 6 miles every week. I never had issues breathing or heart issues until October. I had bronchitis but i was in so much pain i could not sit, stand, lay down without being in so much pain. they never ordered a chest x ray and i am certain i had pneumonia, because I have had bronchitis before and never felt like that..(i begged to be in labor again). I took a Z pack and then on the last day of my Zpack I was cleaning the house, and felt a bubble sensation in my chest and my heart was suddenly racing extremely fast, i couldnt feel it beating..felt like a vibration kind of. Well, I called 911 because it was so fast and it was 230bpm, then 220, then 180 then 230. I weigh 97 pounds (cannot gain weight and eat all day) and I am 5'3 at 26 yrs old. The emt aid it was OK..i did not believe so..so i made a doctor appointment and since then I have possibly had asthma, addison's disease, sarcoidosis...it's frustrating, because now i have a leaking heart valve. My teeth are rotting and quickly began rotting over the past 2 years. I think i have some weird form of diabetes (my whole mother's family had type 2). So I am nervous at the moment, as to what else is wrong

Old 07-07-2012, 12:41 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

Greetings proud mommy1216!! Welcome to the healthboards! I hope the needed support is found! I sympathize with your situation. Some small leaks are said to be not as serious as a large leak. With a labor for a baby coming I would ask the gynecology and cardiology doctor about the heart and pushing ahead of time. I might not want to push very hard at labor and maybe a different type of delivery would be needed. Some mommy's have had heart murmurs afterward with labor. Of course everyone makes their own choices about healthcare and what is done and how it is done. Each person is in charge of their own health care. Peace, sjb

The following user gives a hug of support to sjb:
ProudMommy1216 (07-08-2012)
Old 07-08-2012, 03:18 PM   #5
(female)

ProudMommy1216 HB User

Thank you!!! I am not pregnant now..sorry to not have been clearer. I had my son in 2008, he is almost 4 now. I just hope i get some answers soon!! Thank you so very much

Old 07-08-2012, 03:20 PM   #6
(female)

ProudMommy1216 HB User

I have had issues on and off after becoming pregnant and delivering in 2008. Just this past fall started extremely noticeable symptoms.

Old 07-08-2012, 06:04 PM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

Greetings, Whew! What a relief not to have to go through labor with a heart leak! I would try to visit the dentist maybe to try to get the teeth and gums taken care of in case that is bothering the heart. It is said that gum or mouth infections can cause and infection of valves or inflammation of the heart called endocarditis if I understand correctly. Therefore the sooner the mouth is taken care of properly the better. In addition to the dentist, regular brushing and flossing I might use warm water in the mouth 2 to 3 times a day until there is no redness or gum inflammation which there sometimes is with rotting teeth.

The following user gives a hug of support to sjb:
ProudMommy1216 (07-09-2012)
Old 07-09-2012, 06:00 AM   #8
(female)

ProudMommy1216 HB User

Thank you! yes they are quite related, i was told by my dentist once. In fact, my teeth are so bad I need a full upper denture and 2 lower denture. I am 26 with rapidly rotting teeth. I take care of them...but they are rotting so quickly. The enamel is deteriorating. This is why my cardiologist wants me to see an endocrinologist (usually there is an endocrine problem with most of my symptoms) and my primary care doctor wants me to see an endocrinologist as well. she believes I have Addison's but all of the blood work for cortisol and aldosterone came back with no hits. We shall see. Thank you so much for your help and replies I truly appreciate it!!!!

The Following User Says Thank You to ProudMommy1216 For This Useful Post:
sjb (07-09-2012)
Old 07-09-2012, 06:40 AM   #9
Facilitator
(female)

Greetings I was fortunate enough to be taught early to swish the mouth well with water after brushing the teeth to help remove more particles of food as well as removing the toothpaste. Good nutrition is important for the nourishment of the whole body including the heart and so the teeth need fixing to keep the body in good condition by chewing it well. Implants can be put in to replace missing teeth nowdays. There are some lifestyle things that may be good for the heart such as a daily walk. Peace, sjb

Reply Reply