HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Heart Disorders (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/heart-disorders/)
-   -   High blood pressure and anxiety/ chest pain (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/heart-disorders/908621-high-blood-pressure-anxiety-chest-pain.html)

laureah21 07-09-2012 04:05 AM

High blood pressure and anxiety/ chest pain

Hi everyone, just wanting some advice for if this happens again.

Today I was sitting at my desk at work and became nauseous, this dissipated and was followed by butterflies in my stomach, a dull ache in my chest area and a radiating tightness and aching feeling also travelled with a stiff feeling in my jaw area near my ear. I had a felling of to much caffeine even though I hadn't had any. I was quiet concerned as when I googled the symptoms it said to call an ambulance. I didn't feel that unwell so just went for a walk outside and had some chamomile tea which made me feel better. The same feelings came back about an hour later briefly

The last week I went to the Dr For dizziness I was having and she told me I had high blood pressure, I had to wear a 24 hr monitor and my diastolic number didn't drop below 90. The highest being 177/105. I am also in the process of testing for kidney problems (I have one) I will go back to the Dr this week but really wanted to know people's thoughts on my funny episode today and wether an ambulance call is necessary in that situation. I feel ok now, just very tired. I am a 32 year old female so like a bit of a hypochondriac going to hospital unless I am extremely unwell!

sjb 07-09-2012 06:30 AM

Re: High blood pressure and anxiety/ chest pain

Greetings! Everyone is in charge of their own healthcare. In my opinion anytime someone has undiagnosed chest pain it is time to call 911. If a person waits the result might not be good. If it is taken care of immediately maybe the chances of survival are better. :blob_fire

Willk46 07-09-2012 02:56 PM

Sounds a lot like you had an anxiety attack that did not go on to a full blown panic attack (probably because you relaxed yourself with the walk and tea). It was probably precipitated by your subconcious due to being told you have high blood pressure. I would go to the Dr. and have a stress test and echo done. These will probably be fine so then your anxiety will gradually dissapate. Also get the kidney and blood pressure problems under control.

68GTX 07-10-2012 08:57 AM

I had similar symptoms in 2002 which became the trip wire for me to reverse my unhealthy lifestyle, lose weight, and start blood pressure medication. My condition was more due to an unhealthy diet than anxiety. My chest pounding/tightness/discomfort was probably due to reflux as all tests at the hospital were negative. My BP had soared to 175/105. 6 months later I was down 25 lbs and much more fit with normal BP while taking meds. It took me another 6-7 yrs to take it to another level and try to get as healthy as I could and drop the meds. I've lost 90 lbs. since 2002 and no longer yo-yo diet like I had for so many years. Your problem may well be anxiety more than anything else. But our symptoms were surprisingly similar.

I was 48 at that time. When I told my doctor I was having chest pains and had a feeling of dread and anxiety that wasn't going away he said he'd schedule me for a stress test. 2 days later I checked myself into the hospital on a Friday afternoon after work because I just wasn't going to wait to find out I might be having the signs of an impending heart attack. In any event this was the final trigger for me to get my life back on track. My BP had been at 150/95 on my previous physical and still not taking any medications. I kept telling myself I would drop the weight and exercise more. It basically came down to me to initiate change.