HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Heart Disorders (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/heart-disorders/)
-   -   Supplements which are safe for Arterial Calcification (reversal and prevention) (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/heart-disorders/909899-supplements-safe-arterial-calcification-reversal-prevention.html)

bimik 07-16-2012 05:26 PM

Supplements which are safe for Arterial Calcification (reversal and prevention)

Hi everyone,

I hope I can get some insights. My dad lives abroad and he was recently diagnozed with arterial calcification and arterosclerosis. I don't know how bad is his condition but I am very concerned. He is 65. He is taking medicine to control his blood pressure. He is active but he had poor diet. Now he's going to have a strict diet. Doctors there don't know much about recent supplements etc. He is taking Aspirin and Vitamin B. I ordered for him Coenzyme Q10 (30 mg), Ultra Omega 3 Mini fish oil, 500 MG and supplements which include L-proline, L-lysine, 275mg each which also has calcium 66 mg, magnesium 46 mg, vitamin c 1147 mg, grape seed extract 100 mg and Hawthorn Berry Extract 100 mg.

I read a lot about K2 vitamin and it's potential to reverse arterial calcification. I am afraid to buy K2, MK-7 component b/c of side effects it has (such as heart palpilations etc). But I'd like him to use MK-4. The only thing that worries me is that he's taking Aspirin and will be taking fish oil which thin blood and K2 does the opposite. I read in a few websites that its not advisable to take those two together or it should be done under doctor's instructions.

Please let me know what else we can do in terms of supplements.

Thanks a lot ! Good health to you !

Bimik

bimik 07-31-2012 05:43 PM

Re: Supplements which are safe for Arterial Calcification (reversal and prevention)

I just wanted to add that I am going to have my dad take pomegranade extract and nattokinase (I'll have him take that during the days when he doesn't take fish oil). I also want him to take Coenzyme Q10. Let me know if there are other supplements that work for you.

Vyking 07-31-2012 07:57 PM

Re: Supplements which are safe for Arterial Calcification (reversal and prevention)

The only way you can reverse clogged arteries is to go on a very strict saturated fat free diet - no saturated fat whatsoever and even then it takes time, it's not going to happen overnight.
It also depends on how bad his arteries are.

Your dads best bet is to take the meds prescribed by his doctor, stop smoking (if he does), exercise and limit the amount of saturated fat he eats.
Your wasting your money buying supplements - take it from someone who's had a triple bypass.

bimik 07-31-2012 10:08 PM

Vyking, thanks so much for your reply.

It's true that reversing clogged arteries isn't an easy task. My dad does exercise every day, however, he had a bad diet and some digestive disorders. I believe the latter also contributes arterial plaque.

My dad lives aboad and his doctor didn'r prescribe him anything, I don't know how competent he is. He takes aspirin once in awhile.

What do yu think about nattokinase ? I read very good reviews from customers who bought the supplement from the website which sells it. I also read a lot of good things abotu K 2 vitamin and its ability to reverse atherosclerosis (especially MK-4), however, I am afraid that it can create blood clots.

I am also reading about oral chelation, it's just the sideeffects that make me worry.

Good health to you !

[QUOTE=Vyking;5031541]The only way you can reverse clogged arteries is to go on a very strict saturated fat free diet - no saturated fat whatsoever and even then it takes time, it's not going to happen overnight.
It also depends on how bad his arteries are.

Your dads best bet is to take the meds prescribed by his doctor, stop smoking (if he does), exercise and limit the amount of saturated fat he eats.
Your wasting your money buying supplements - take it from someone who's had a triple bypass.[/QUOTE]

Vyking 08-01-2012 12:44 PM

Hi bimik,
I'm really not into the supplement thing.
To keep my cholesterol under control I take Lipitor, I also take a fish oil capsule and baby asprin every morning - They appear to be doing the job quite well.

I take Ramipril, Norvapine and Natrilix SR to keep my blood pressure down.
I also take Sotalol twice a day to help with the bp and keep my heart in a regular rhythm.

You say the Doc didn't prescribe anything???
That seems strange, I would have thought he would have given him something to keep his cholesterol down.

What country is he living in?