It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2012, 07:22 AM   #1
(male)

1angusss HB User
Please help

Hi,
I am a 51 year old male that was diagnosed with AFIB 4 weeks ago. Iwas in the hospital for 2 days and finally was able to get up and walk and went to normal sinus rythem. I was sent home with Amiodorone and Diovan. I was to take 800 mg of Amiodorone for 2weeks, then 400 mg for 2 weeks and i go down to 1 pill (200mg) until all pills are gone, mabe 40 pills. I am a 51 year old male that is in very good shape. before this I did drink beer everyday at least 6 sometimes more. I ave alot of stress. I did drink caffiene. since all of this I have quit drinking and am eating very well. No caffiene, aspertame, low salt and everything else I can do. I have 4 sons and 1 daughter. I still have a 13 year old and an 11 year old in the house and I want to be there for them... The Doctors seem to think this is a 1 time thing. I am constantly worried/panicked. Will miss sleep because I lay there and my brain takes over. Has anyone ever only had 1 episode and it corrected itself. Will I be ok weaning myself of of the amiodorone.. I had a echo stress test yesterday and was told I did very well. My target MET score was 9 and I scored 14.1
I reache 85% of heart rate at level 4 and could have kept going. Please help me. I want very badly to be around for my wife and children. Thank you so much and may God bless you and yours.

Rick

Old 07-24-2012, 08:37 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User
Re: Please help

Greetings 1angusss! Some people do real well with lifestyle changes including some of the following measures. I would be drinking a proper amount of water for body weight. I would use a plant based diet avoiding the meats and minimal milk and eggs, staying off alchohol, tobacco, food additives, sugar, too much fat, chemicals, cheese and walking daily in morning or late afternoon for exercise sleep or rest 8 hours etc. The doctor may be correct about the one time thing. I don't think I would want the medicines either as often medicines can decrease health by adding side effects and contributing to a burden the liver and kidneys must remove. Of course everyone makes their own health care decisions in life.

Personally if the Atrial fibrillation became a real problem I might choose a 5 star cardiologist at a 5 star hospital and get a pacemaker put in even though there is a low risk of death from infection or bleeding into the heart. But at this time the problem seems too mild for a pacemaker anyway according to what the doctors have said. Peace, sjb

The Following User Says Thank You to sjb For This Useful Post:
1angusss (07-24-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-24-2012, 09:05 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

It is true that afib can occur as an isolated episode and not recur, especially if you modify your caffeine intake etc. You should try weaning off the amiodorone like Dr suggested, and if your afib does return, it can always be restarted with a phone call to your Dr. I would hold out 4 pills at the end of tapering period to have them on hand; in case of recurrence you won't have to go to pharmacy in midst of it. Afib is not one of the lethal arrythmias. It is not one you want to have continue for any length of time, but no need to worry about being around for your kids! If the diovan was started for high BP, I would work on continued efforts with limiting the salt, beer and weight loss if needed. If afib does become chronic, it can usually be controlled with medication. Lung disease like COPD can predispose to afib, so if you smoke, I would get started on a smoking cessation program as well.

Old 07-24-2012, 09:20 AM   #4
(male)

1angusss HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjb View Post
Greetings 1angusss! Some people do real well with lifestyle changes including some of the following measures. I would be drinking a proper amount of water for body weight. I would use a plant based diet avoiding the meats and minimal milk and eggs, staying off alchohol, tobacco, food additives, sugar, too much fat, chemicals, cheese and walking daily in morning or late afternoon for exercise sleep or rest 8 hours etc. The doctor may be correct about the one time thing. I don't think I would want the medicines either as often medicines can decrease health by adding side effects and contributing to a burden the liver and kidneys must remove. Of course everyone makes their own health care decisions in life.

Personally if the Atrial fibrillation became a real problem I might choose a 5 star cardiologist at a 5 star hospital and get a pacemaker put in even though there is a low risk of death from infection or bleeding into the heart. But at this time the problem seems too mild for a pacemaker anyway according to what the doctors have said. Peace, sjb

Old 07-24-2012, 09:21 AM   #5
(male)

1angusss HB User

Thanks so much... it does helf to hear other people on this.

The Following User Says Thank You to 1angusss For This Useful Post:
sjb (07-24-2012)
Old 07-24-2012, 11:40 AM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

Greetings You are welcome so much!

Reply Reply