It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2012, 07:50 AM   #1
(female)

AuntNanc HB UserAuntNanc HB UserAuntNanc HB UserAuntNanc HB User
Pain Following Cardiac Cath Through Wrist

I had a cardiac cath done 10 days ago via radial artery in my wrist. Because there is significantly less chance of bleeding when done this way, I didn't have to go off my blood thinners. A big plus for me. However, the cardiologist failed to mention that, because the artery in the wrist is so much smaller, the procedure can cause it to become irritated and inflamed. And because it runs parallel to the radial nerve, that then becomes inflamed and painful, too. For 10 days, I have had very bad pain the full length of the radial nerve from the tips of my thumb and index finger all the way to my shoulder. I'm told that some people tolerate the procedure well with no after effects at all. For others, like me, the pain can last anywhere from a few days to a few months. Ice makes it hurt worse. A strong dose of Ibuprofen relieves it only until the med wears off. And, being on Warfarin, I can't be taking massive doses of Ibuprofen. I'm wondering if anyone else has had this same problem and what you did to treat the pain. Also, how long did your pain last? Thanks much!

Old 08-07-2012, 03:37 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User
Re: Pain Following Cardiac Cath Through Wrist

Greetings AuntNanc! If the health professional does not have a good reason why it cannot be done I might try moist heat for 20 minutes 3 times a day instead of cold. I would also ask if it is ok to use some pineapple and papaya. Of course everyone makes their own health decisions in life. Peace, sjb

Last edited by sjb; 08-07-2012 at 03:40 AM. Reason: addition made

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-07-2012, 09:16 AM   #3
(female)

Thanks, sjb. I'll try the heat instead of ice. The doctor actually did initially recommend heat. But, when the outpatient surgery center called to check on me shortly after, they advised cold, instead, to help reduce the inflammation. What, may I ask, is the purpose of the pineapple and papaya? Have never heard of using that.

Old 08-09-2012, 06:49 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

Greetings Aunt Nanc! The pineapple has anti-inflammatories in it and cherries do also. It also might dissolve a clot if one is present causing any thrombophlebitis. However the reason I thought I might run it past the professional first is that pineapple does have blood thinner properties in it in my understanding and the warfarin is there. (onions also has blood thinner properies in my understanding and foods with vitamin E but as far as I know do not have the same enzymes for clots) Papayas also have enzymes in them. Turmeric also has anti-inflammatory properties in it. Of course that decision is still up the person making the health care choices. Peace, sjb

Old 08-10-2012, 11:13 PM   #5
(female)

Thanks for the information. Always good to build on my knowledge of what may have blood thinning properties. I have been on Warfarin for many many years and, until a year and a half ago when I suffered multiple clots in my lungs, my dose was very stable and seldom altered, no matter what I ate. Since then, however, I wage a constant battle to keep my dose stable and am always encountering foods or supplements that can send my PT/INR levels shooting up or down the scale.

Old 08-11-2012, 03:30 PM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

Greetings Aunt Nanc! You are welcome! Sometimes greens help clot blood but I would not necessarily avoid them altogether since we are supposed to eat green foods. Sometimes perhaps the real problem is the fact that people get dehydrated or eat so much sugar their blood gets thick and syrupy in my opinion. Too much fat can also cause problems. I think people should study about the body and each organ of it and how to take care of each one, in my opinion. Peace, sjb

Reply Reply