It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2012, 02:40 PM   #1
(female)

Stressed sylv HB User
BNP blood test, borderline results

Hello, I wonder if anyone can advise me please? I had a BNP blood test last week to test for heart failure, as I have been feeling very unwell for over five months, and nobody really knows what the problem is. I get frequent Ventricular ectopic heartbeats and feel weak, dizzy, faint and ill all the time. The doctors said that the structure of my heart is ok so I don't know what is going on. The results came back today from the blood test, the reading was 104, apparently anything between 100-400 indicates heart failure and further investigations are needed. But my GP said that this was a normal reading and not to do anything about it - but I have an echocardiogram arranged for next week that came through a few days ago. Any feedback or comments would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Old 08-09-2012, 02:50 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
Re: BNP blood test, borderline results

I think the echo is a good idea, as it will provide a lot more information about the shape of your heart, it's size, strength, valves, efficiency of pumping, etc. A treadmill test might also be good to look for hidden coronary artery disease. Given your symptoms and BNP reading, I would consult with a cardiologist for further assessment. A cause may be found that can be fixed or treated to help keep it from getting worse. Picking it up early can be a life saver, so I wouldn't ignore the result just because it is borderline high and not really high. Why wait until it gets worse?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-09-2012, 03:37 PM   #3
(female)

Stressed sylv HB User
Smile Re: BNP blood test, borderline results

Thanks a lot for your reply Ladybud. I have had a treadmill test in late May that was within the normal range but felt very ill and breathless afterwards. My doctor is very difficult and gets irritable, so I'll just wait and see what the results of the echo are, and take things from there. I saw a Cardiologist in late June who said my heart was perfectly normal, and the irregular heartbeats were nothing to worry about - but they don't feel normal at all. He laughed and said he got them too, after drinking too much coffee etc. I don't drink coffee but get these horrible thudding sensations and can see my heart beating through my clothes, when I look down at my chest. Just want to be well again, as I have a disabled son to care for and am on my own with no family, and just a few loyal friends. Thanks again for your help.

The following user gives a hug of support to Stressed sylv:
Vyking (08-09-2012)
Reply Reply