It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2012, 05:07 AM   #1
(female)

LaloubaJane HB User
Exclamation Is my anxiety causing my heart complaints or vice versa?

Hi there. I'm a 24 year old female. I have smoked for 8 years and suffer from GAD.

For the past 3 years I have been suffering with the following physical symptoms:

Fast and irregular heart rate.
Shortness of breath, particularly on mild exertion such as climbing stairs or picking up my 14 month old daughter.
Uncomfortable breathing.
Fairly consistent cough that produces small amounts of sputum during the day.
The need to cough up a fair amount of sputum in the morning.
Occasional wheeze/whistling sound when inhaling.
Fatigue.
Occasional palpitations.
Anxiety.
A loss of appetite.
Feeling full after small amounts of food.
Other misc. gastro problems.

So far I have had numerous ECG tests, a 24 hour holter monitor, a chest x ray and a BNP blood test. All results came back within normal range.

I haven't had an echo or stress test administered.

My question is, after all of the tests coming back normal, could there still be something wrong? I can't tell if my anxiety is causing my symptoms or the other way round.

Old 08-16-2012, 07:07 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User
Re: Is my anxiety causing my heart complaints or vice versa?

Greetings laloubaJane: ! Welcome to the heart disorder health boards! In my opinion the answer is yes there could. The arteries could be filled with plaque or the valves could be damaged etc. A cardiologist could be consulted. I would avoid tobacco in all forms, alcohol, chemicals food additives and sugar as these can damage or clog the body systems. I would eat a wide variety of fruits grains nuts and vegetables, walk daily in sunshine and fresh air and go to bed for 8 hours a night to rest. Of course everyone makes their own health care decisions about whether or not and who to see as far as health professionals go. Peace sjb

P.S Oh yes, sugar and certain germs fed by sugar can cause anxiety, of course there are other causes such as heart attacks and smoking is known to cause panic disorder in young adults. One person out of every two dies from smoking. Many of these are from diseases of the heart caused by smoking as well as cancer.

Last edited by sjb; 08-16-2012 at 07:28 AM. Reason: P.S added

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-16-2012, 07:12 PM   #3
(male)

Willk46 HB UserWillk46 HB User

It is most likely definately anxiety. Your female and too young for heart disease even with the damage you have done from smoking 8 years. Have a sress test done and then accept it is anxiety. Consider your self lucky. Do not put off quitting smoking. 8 years will quickly turn to 20 then 30...It takes awhile but I guarantee the time will come when you will regret every year you have smoked. 8 years is bad enough. I smoked for 30 years on and off. I can not believe how stupid I was. It was just so easy to keep putting it off.."just one more won't hurt" Can't even stand the smell now.

Old 08-16-2012, 07:56 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Hey, it's another Jane

After those tests, at your age, it's pretty unlikely that you have a heart problem. However, you probably do have some digestive issues going on. Believe it or not, heartburn can actually cause a cough and shortness of breath, if the acid irritates your lungs. Smoking can cause or worsen heartburn, too, because it relaxes the valve at the top of your stomach, allowing acid to wash back up.

So. Definitely, work on quitting smoking and look into treatments for anxiety. Also, if you choose to pursue further medical care, I'd try a gastroenterologist next time.

Old 08-17-2012, 05:12 PM   #5
(female)

LucieCoyote HB User

Please quit smoking and start exercising. I wish I had listened when I was 24. I'm 54 and am contending with heart failure & COPD.

The following user gives a hug of support to LucieCoyote:
sjb (08-19-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to LucieCoyote For This Useful Post:
sjb (08-19-2012)
Old 08-23-2012, 09:47 AM   #6
(female)

rico5000 HB Userrico5000 HB User

As a former smoker, I will say this. Most of the symptoms you describe are very likely caused by smoking. If you don't quit, you will have many health problems. I can almost promise you that.

I also suffer from severe anxiety and it can cause lots of misery. Physical and mental. I suggest you get of the cigarettes and start a really good exercise program. That will help you breath. If you need to lose weight, do that. That will help you in many ways including breathing.

Getting full quickly could be an ulcer. It could be nerves. It could be you don't chew your food well. It could be many things. I have that from time to time too.

It wouldn't hurt you to get a stress test. Visit with your doctor about all these symptoms and of course, before you start an exercise program, discuss it with your doctor.

But even at your age, things can go wrong. Being young is not guarantee of good health. So I suggest you start now and be proactive. See a good doctor and get off the smokes.

Reply Reply