It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2012, 03:24 AM   #1
(female)

rico5000 HB Userrico5000 HB User
Question Stress test next week

Hello everyone,

I'm a 68 year old female. I have mitral valve prolapse and severe anxiety. My heart beat goes high at the cardiologist's office and bp spikes somewhat. At any rate, otherwise, as far as I know, I have no serious heart issues.

The cardiologist wants to do a stress test on my next week. I've had them before and lack much endurance. Otherwise, I've done ok on them.

Does anyone here know how long someone of my age should be able to stay on the treadmill? Also, is there any way to prepare myself physically to do well on the test. I walk about 10,000 steps per day and workout regularly but mostly in bursts, sprints. I'm not the endurance type.

Thank you in advance.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-18-2012, 10:58 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Suisse85 HB UserSuisse85 HB User
Re: Stress test next week

Hi Rico,

I think we talked on another subject. They really are giving you a workout, aren't they? I'd have anxiety too, with all the big words they've thrown at you. As far as the stress test is concerned, wear a really comfortable pair of shoes. I would imagine that if you can go 15 minutes you should be okay. Generally, they steadily increase the incline, but they monitor your heart all the time and at the end.

Usually, if they are going for the actual walking treadmill, it means they think you're probably all right.

The stress test can also be done by injecting medicine that stresses the heart, and no walking is required. That is typically reserved for the patients that are suspected to have heart disease.

The Following User Says Thank You to Suisse85 For This Useful Post:
rico5000 (08-18-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply

Tags
cardio, stress test, treadmill