It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2012, 01:34 PM   #1
(female)

LadyWriter1968 HB User
Am I Healthy or Not

I went to gp other day saw the nurse for tonsillitis, she asked if I was healthy. Although this seemed a stupid question considering I would not be there if I was. I answered, well apart from tonsillitis which is temporary, I also have an under-active thyroid and hypertension of which both have to be treated with medications for the rest of my life. so what do you think? She didn't answer.

Recently the GP even had to up my dosage on my blood pressure pills as they had stopped working at 5mg, so now on 10mg of one and 4mg of another. Along with cholesterol pills and thyroid meds. I was diagnosed with hypertension at 25 years old. And Thyroid Disease at 42, I am now 44. I have never smoked and hardly drink alcohol.

What do you think? when you have hypertension and thyroid disease? can the person be considered healthy? or not?

A person can be very fit and look great on the out side, but if they still have to take medications to control their body then are they actually healthy?

I believe that I am not healthy, but I am not sick either. Although I can go about my daily life without problems, I still have to take these meds, because if I dont take my bp ones for example I would eventually have a heart attack or a stroke. So my body needs assistance to survive now.

What do you think?

Old 08-24-2012, 05:53 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User
Re: Am I Healthy or Not

Greetings ladywriter1968! In my opinion the answer is no but lifestyle changes may help things like blood pressure, thyroid and cholesterol. If interested let me know. Peace, sjb

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-30-2012, 12:23 PM   #3
Veteran
(male)

Fizzickle HB UserFizzickle HB UserFizzickle HB UserFizzickle HB User

Your question "Am I healthy?" qualified by the fact that you have hypertension and thyroid problems seems to me to be mostly a question of semantics.

I had a crippling heart attack many years ago at age 47, have had throat and bladder cancer (both in remission for over 7 years), have hypertension and high cholesterol, have atrial fibrillation, and have angina. For these and other problems I face a multitude of pills each day. The medicines keep the various problems under control.

The question "Am I healthy?" has rarely ever occurred to me, and your post set me thinking. On the one hand, obviously I'm not "healthy". I'm not going to participate in Olympic races.

Yet I wake up each morning eager to get going, and if anyone offhandedly asks me if I'm healthy, I'd reply "Absolutely".

In your case, as in mine, I would think that the ability of whatever medicines you take to control your problems would be the bright line between "Healthy" and "Unhealthy".

It's an interesting conundrum. Thanks for posing the question.

Old 10-25-2012, 11:31 AM   #4
(female)

LadyWriter1968 HB User

thanks for your replies, sorry took ages to come back, it was a question of which was hard to answer, its like I like singing and people say, are you really good. how do you answer that. its the same kind of thing, but for a nurse to ask me Am I healthy? well she should know!

Reply Reply