It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2012, 02:08 AM   #1
(female)

Calamity77 HB User
atrial fibrillation

I am newly diagnosed atrial fibrillation and the diagnosis was given to me whilst in hospital. There are other issues going on so a lot of information to take in.

I have some questions for other sufferers of atrial fibrillation

1) Do you actually have a cardiac doctor or is it just managed by your local doctor
2) Do you get chest pain associated with the condition
3) How often do you actually feel your heart palpitating or fluttering around
4) I am on aspirin 100mg a day. Is it common to just minimise the risks by prescribing aspirin or more common to actually treat the AF with other drugs/pacemakers

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Old 08-31-2012, 03:55 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Seraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB User
Re: atrial fibrillation

I have AF too. To answer your questions:

1. I am under the care of a cardiologist

2. Now and then there is a bit of pain, more I think from tension and a bit of worry

3. Whenever it goes into AF, it is rattling away. It is worse in bed, it makes me feel like I am bouncing. Ugh!! I still have attacks about 1- 2 times a week, but they only last for a couple of hours now.

4.It depends. If you only have short attacks and they stop by themselves, then all you would need is the anticoagulant such as aspirin. My attacks were lasting for days and I twice needed electrial cardioversion with a defibrillator (under anaesthetic). I also take a beta blocker to lessen the occurrence, and warfarin as an anticoagulant, as I have other health issues which could also put me at risk of stroke.
I have had it mildly most pf my life, but it is only now I am older that it has become a problem. My next option to stop it is to have a catheter ablation, where they burn off the bit of heart muscle that is firing off. As long as the attacks stop by themselves within six-seven hours, I can avoid that.
It is very common to ave a milder form such as yours. Don't let it affect your life, it will come and go whatever you do. I find that there is no real rhyme or reason with my attacks, although lying flat does not help. Sera

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply