It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2012, 08:06 PM   #1
(female)

ashlee095 HB User
Exclamation

Hi all. I'm 20 years old. Smoker, been smoking since I was 16. I've been trying to tell if I have a heart problem or a lung issue but I'm leaning more towards heart. Every now and then I get this pain in the upper left portion of my chest that goes thru to my back, kind of in the area you would put your hand if you were saying the pledge of allegiance. Over the past 2 days its been frequent and happening multiple times a day. I thought maybe it had to do with smoking but I'm not sure. I also sometimes get the feeling where everything gets quiet and kind of slow motion and I can just feel/hear my heart do one good "loud" thump and flip flop. It only lasts a couple seconds but its enough to notice and make you go whoa. I have health anxiety so I freak out about a lot. I was getting dizzy with the weird "thump" I felt at one point and went to urgent care where they hooked me up to an elf but everything checked out normal. Oh and another thing , I also get this slight ache in my left arm on and off along with the left sided chest pain as well. Can anyone help me out with this?? Also, I'm a female and a little overweight but not exceeding 200. Would be in the 180s. Any input greatly appreciated!

EKG* phone corrected it to elf! Sorry.

Last edited by Mod-S4; 09-24-2012 at 03:29 PM. Reason: Posts merged. Please feel free to edit your post instead of add a new one.

Old 09-06-2012, 07:59 PM   #2
(male)

JackBlack2012 HB User
Re: heart problem?

Hi

I'm 24, started smoking when I was 15 and quit when I was your age.

I'm sure since you were in the hospital you're aware that pain in the left chest, arm and neck are signs of a possible heart attack.

This is troubling because you weren't having one, but had the symptoms of one. How do you know when you're having a heart attack or not?

My Mom has dealt with this for quite a while. She would occasionally have these pains and go to the ER. They'd tell her she's okay and she'd go back to work.

Now, she just takes ibuprofen and deals with it when it happens.

Personally, I think it's playing with fire. How will she know when she's having a real heart attack or not? Going to the hospital every single time may be unnecessary.

But, what other options do you have?

That's a great question. And quite frankly, I'm glad that you asked! lol

I take cayenne pepper before each meal (the 90k heat units kind). I fill up a capsule about 1/4th the way with it. It takes the pain in my left side away within a minute or two.

You can google it: cayenne pepper is supposed to stop a heart attack within seconds - among many other health benefits. That way, you're comfortable knowing if it is serious, you're going to be okay. I got a bag of it at the health food store for 75 cents - it's cheap. The NOW veg caps online were cheap, too.

The flip flop feeling you had was most likely a palpitation. Sometimes they can feel like a fish "flopping around", or like a being shot with a crossbow. They're pretty common - something as simple as anxiety can cause them.

Sometimes they're harmless occurrences but if you start having them all the time - it's time to see a cardiologist (The first thing he'll ask is if you're a smoker).

You should consider quitting smoking, or switching to "E-cigs". You'll get your nicotine fix without all the toxins.

Also, I would drink a TON of water. I drink 2 liters a day. A little uncomfortable at first but it works wonders. Water is a natural blood thinner - your whole circulatory system will function better when you're properly hydrated.

Let us know how things are going and if the pain goes away - keep us updated!

Last edited by Administrator; 04-30-2013 at 02:10 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply

Tags
chest pain, heart, worried