It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2012, 06:38 AM   #1
(male)

HypoToby HB User
Heart Rate Suddenly Increasing

I am a 23 year old male, In decent shape, and don't take much other than a vitamin C and Magnesium compound. Last night I suddenly woke up and felt a strange sensation in my chest, my heart was racing as if I had just done some very intense excercising, lasted about 5 mins of very rapid beating followed by muscle spasms and a general cold feeling. I do not think this is anxiety related because during the episode I was very calm and in control except for my heart, and I have experienced a panic attack before and it did not feel at all similiar. This was at around 3:00 AM. The next day I cant help but notice my heart rate as increased about an average of 20 bpm all around. My resting bpm which was around 70-80 is now around 80-100, and its remaining consistent. I am not sure if this is because of an infection but I do have my supsicious about sinusitis. It is that time of the year when my seasonal allergies give me sinus problems, and the vision in one of my eyes became significantly more blurry, which I think might be sinus related.

Is there certain heart disorders that can cause this? Thanks alot.

The following user gives a hug of support to HypoToby:
palmtreegirl (09-07-2012)
Old 09-06-2012, 08:08 PM   #2
(male)

JackBlack2012 HB User
Re: Heart Rate Suddenly Increasing

That's very odd to wake up like that with your heart racing. Has this happened again since?

I have woken up with my heart racing like this but mostly because of dreaming about something. Do you remember dreaming about anything that could have triggered this?

Remember, experience and recollection don't have to go hand in hand.

If it continues I would see a doctor if you can. Make sure to stay hydrated...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-07-2012, 07:41 AM   #3
(female)

palmtreegirl HB Userpalmtreegirl HB Userpalmtreegirl HB Userpalmtreegirl HB User

It could be PAT (proximal atrial tachycardia). It is pretty common, and usually first happens in your 20s. I had it at 21 and went to the ER. The doctor said it will happen from time to time and is not a problem unless it won't stop. I am 56 now, and I still get it a few times a month. It is easily controlled by the vagal nerve (sounds crazy, but bearing down like you are going to have a BM). If it doesn't stop, the ER can stop it with cardioversion (delivering a light shock). Why are you taking magnesium? It does have an effect on the heart. Was it prescribed by a doctor? If not, you should ask about it. Good luck, and keep us posted.

Old 09-07-2012, 08:09 AM   #4
(male)

HypoToby HB User

Thats interesting, ive been hearing alot about the vagus nerve lately. I do have some reflux sometimes and general digestive issues on occasion and I read about the vagus nerve being irritated which can cause some issues like that. My heart rate is still consistantly high, I saw my doctor and he did not seem too interested, he prescribed me nasonex and zyrtec for my allergies however, I think allergies might be to blame for this considering your body is going through certain things when the histamine reaction happens.

Old 09-09-2012, 12:47 AM   #5
(male)

Gojoe HB UserGojoe HB User

Your doc probably isn't concerned because of your age and the rarity of serious cardiac events at 23. But that is almost exactly the age when I started having symptoms. If this continues, ask your doc for a 48-hr monitor just to be sure the rhythm is normal all of the time.

Old 09-30-2012, 12:08 PM   #6
(male)

UKMarc HB User

Too much magnesium as well as too little can cause this, as well as certain other supplements.

Magnesium is great for muscle spasms, but too much can cause erratic heart beats apparently

Reply Reply