It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2012, 05:56 AM   #1
(female)

rico5000 HB Userrico5000 HB User
Question Valve leaking

I had a treadmill stress test a couple weeks ago. The doctor said the results were fine but I do have a mild aortic valve leak and I've been diagnosed with mitral valve prolapse for decades. I don't know how long I've had the aortic leak. I think probably a very long time.

The cardio doctor told me to do any exercise I wanted and that no action was needed. It wasn't bad he said. But I can't help but worry. I do isometric exercises and do resistance training - quite active.

I read somewhere that people with this valve issue shouldn't squeeze things like the Zona Plus for high bp or squeeze anything tightly in their hands. I do this all the time and always have. I can't bear the thought of stopping doing the things I enjoy. Of course, the doctors didn't tell me to. I just don't want to make the leak worse.

I'm 68 years old. I have mild high blood pressure and some heart flutters from time to time and tachardia at times.

My question is, how common are these types of leaks and can one continue his normal exercises and lifestyle despite the issue? Does anyone know? I need to get an honest reply but also need some encouragement.

Thank you in advance.

Old 09-09-2012, 06:32 AM   #2
(male)

Gojoe HB UserGojoe HB User
Re: Valve leaking

I have the same leaky valves, high blood pressure and an enlarged left ventricle. The mitral leak has been there for decades, but the aortic leak only appeared when my more serious heart problems started.

My cardiologist wants me to exercise, including some weights, but to limit the straining to lift. I would go with your doctor's advice.

The Following User Says Thank You to Gojoe For This Useful Post:
rico5000 (09-09-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply

Tags
aortic, heart valve, mitral valve, valve