It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2012, 12:42 PM   #1
(male)

snitish HB User
PVCs, PACs and shortness of breath. Could it be heart failure?

Hi!

About a month ago, I started getting these 'forced beats' in my chest. I also have some shortness of breath when I climb stairs or ride my bicycle. I've had ECG, Doppler ECHO, Holter monitor, PFT (Pulmonary function test) and various blood tests. The ECG showed tachycardia with 110 bpm (may be because I was freaked out?). The ECHO was normal with an EF of 69%. The Holter monitor showed some Ventricular Exrasystoles and some Supraventricular Extrasystoles, which I am assuming to be PVCs and PACs. It didn't show any Ventricular tachycardia or Atrial Fibrillation, though. The PFT showed mild restrictive pattern in the lungs. My doc put me on Calaptin saying that my heart rate was too high. As I started taking it, my heart rate did noticibly redice, and more importantly, I stopped getting those extra 'skipped' beats. But just after I stopped taking the medicine, the beats are back!! Now my question is, could I be having heart failure, even though my ECHO is normal? BTW, I am 19 years old.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-13-2012, 06:39 AM   #2
(female)

zip452 HB Userzip452 HB Userzip452 HB Userzip452 HB Userzip452 HB User
Re: PVCs, PACs and shortness of breath. Could it be heart failure?

Did they do a chest x-ray? Your ejection fraction is really good. I am 24 and mine was only 54%. I would say that heart failure is unlikely, but perhaps there is something going on with the nodes in your heart. Hopefully they are still looking into things. Do you have any swelling, etc?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-13-2012, 07:29 AM   #3
(male)

snitish HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by carzy View Post
Did they do a chest x-ray? Your ejection fraction is really good. I am 24 and mine was only 54%. I would say that heart failure is unlikely, but perhaps there is something going on with the nodes in your heart. Hopefully they are still looking into things. Do you have any swelling, etc?
Hey Carzy!

Thanks for your reply! No, they haven't done a chest x-ray. And I don't have any swelling in any part of my body. My doc keeps tellin me that Sinus Tachycardia and PVCs sometimes have no known cause and are not dangerous. He put me on Calaptin 40mg (calcium channel blocker) twice a day and that really helps. Since I started taking it, my PVCs are virtually gone, and my heart rate has slowed too!

But something still worries me. I stop taking Calaptin for a day, the PVCs are back! I feel like my heart can stop at any moment. Also, my heart keeps racing. I can feel it my entire body.

Old 09-13-2012, 08:04 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

I would make sure that the blood tests they did included a thyroid profile. Hyperthyroidism is a common cause for tachycardia as well as PACs and PVCs. It is sometimes treated with beta blockers or calcium channel blockers, but you should know if your thyroid is overactive and see an endocrinologist if it is. Your Dr. should order the the blood tests if not included before.

Old 09-13-2012, 08:54 AM   #5
(male)

snitish HB User

Yea, I've had my thyroid test done. It came out normal; and thats what confuses me. I get these annoying palpitations for no reason! Thanks anyways.

Old 09-13-2012, 09:04 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by snitish View Post
... But something still worries me. I stop taking Calaptin for a day, the PVCs are back! I feel like my heart can stop at any moment. Also, my heart keeps racing. I can feel it my entire body.
Heart meds, like Calaptin try to calm the heart so that the heart doesn't race or misfire (PVCs, PACs). You can't expect medications to continue to do their job, if you stop taking them.

Quote:
I get these annoying palpitations for no reason!
There are many things, foods, drinks, chocolate, cigarette smoke, caffeine, chemicals, pollens, too much carbs in diet, etc. that can cause palpitations. It doesn't necessarily mean that there is something significantly wrong with you. You just might have a sensitive heart.

⇒ Avoid allergic & non-allergic irritants/triggers
⇒ Low calorie ovo-vegetarian diet
⇒ Power walk, weight lifts, pushups
⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Last edited by Machaon; 09-13-2012 at 09:08 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to Machaon For This Useful Post:
snitish (09-13-2012)
Old 09-13-2012, 03:34 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

Some people are especially sensitive to caffeine, and I've seen PACs and PVCs related to smoking too. You can try avoiding those and see if it makes a difference. If not, at least the medicine is working for you.

Reply Reply